Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo Aug 4, 2016

So, after having been interested in Omega's earlier chronometer watches for some time, I have gone from primarily looking at Constellations to being quite intrigued by the 50's Seamaster bumper Chronometers. One or two has foolishly went by me, so when I recently found an interesting listing, I promised myself that I wouldn't pass it by.

Photos from the listing:

Dial.jpg

Mov.jpg

Rear.jpg
    That made me curious! I researched the ref. and found that it was a jumbo-sized Seamaster and the movement+dial checked out as chronometer items. The listing made a note about the size, but not that the gold cap was rose gold or that the watch had a chronometer movement.

I was lucky to win the bidding war (which was only a light skirmish, really), so after a pretty horrible experience getting it to my address, I finally received the watch yesterday!

IMG_0403.JPG

I knew that the condition of the watch wasn't great and true enough there are some damage to the dial and the gold cap has worn away on some parts of the lugs and crown. It's not enough to quell my enthusiasm, however, as I'm thrilled to finally own a bumper chronometer :D

IMG_0419.JPG

I wouldn't have minded it being a smaller ref. as I have tiny wrists, but I guess that the size will be a boon, should I choose to move it on at some point.

IMG_0410.JPG

I have done a bit of research and turned up... nearly nothing. The best place on the net is, naturally, Omegaforums.net and on here I dug up a thread from earlier this year, where @ChrisN shows his gorgeous Seamaster Chronometer - a thread I participated in briefly. What makes this particularly interesting is that upon reading, I was struck by the many similarities: Chris' specimen is also cal. 354, rose gold capped and of the same reference. Noting the serial number of his watch, I opened the case back on mine and found...

IMG_0420.JPG

A serial number just nine digits lower! I'm pretty blown away by this, as it means they probably was at the factory at the same time, but ended up with different dials :)

It also makes my comment and Chris' reply in the thread even more portentous:

...which was pretty much how the sibling watch to Chris' ended up in my possession :)

I realise that the condition of the watch will be a turn-off for many, but I'm really thrilled to have this uncommon specimen in my very modest collection. I guess I'll be pouring money in it for a service, which it obviously needs.

IMG_0426.JPG

Cheers,
    Troels.

Deafboy, Ravineman, alam and 15 others like this.
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 4, 2016

Nice find! I think you're going to win the trophy for "Longest Average Shipment Transit Time" at this year's Offies (I assume that's what the OF annual award show is called, yes?)! :D

ahartfie, ulackfocus and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. Fattony Aug 4, 2016

Great find I bet you over the moon

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. wsfarrell Aug 4, 2016

Great story, and rose gold is the best!

noelekal and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. ChrisN Aug 4, 2016

Great story and really pleased you got one. I think these genuinely deserve the overused tag "rare" and are great watches. I like the oversize case and only have small wrists but it's a different look for a fifties watch and for anyone who doesn't have a bumper, the dum-dum feel as the rotor settles on a spring makes them almost like a live thing.:)

Enjoy your watch.

Regards, Chris

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Aug 4, 2016

I like it! :D

[​IMG]

ahartfie, Andy K and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 4, 2016

Congratulations! The large bumper Seamaster Chronometres are uncommon. I have a 354 as well, though not gold capped.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 5, 2016

Capture.JPG
    Well, it would be an honor just to be nominated...:rolleyes:

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2016

Have one on us :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

STANDY, Andy K and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Aug 5, 2016

I wonder if it's that jury @Tony C. is a member of...

Andy K likes this.
  11. alam Aug 5, 2016

nice character it sure has! :thumbsup:

12. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2016

Nice catch, let me know when you want to release..... Aka dibs .....

Good hunting
    Bill

13. (O)MEGA-FREAK Aug 6, 2016

Thats a nice watch you got there.
    Just out of curiosity, how much did this come for?

Sent from my CP8676_I03 using Tapatalk

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 6, 2016

Great story on how research and persistence pay off. Enjoy your trophy! (The watch not the squirrel)