Forums Latest Members

Got my grail (2531.80 SMP)! But is it the genuine article…?

1. 850csi May 18, 2016

Hi all,

Sporadic lurker here. After recently selling off my 2220.80 to recoup some funds and considering a variety of other less expensive divers to pick up as a daily wearer, I circled right back to the watch that was probably my favorite all along: I found a real steal of a deal on a ref. 2531.80 without any papers. The price was low enough that I probably would not have bought the watch without the benefit of credit card/paypal’s buyer protections and a legit seller with good references.

The watch is in pretty great condition and, as best as I can tell, is the real thing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of things giving me some doubt.

First, the crown. It feels notably larger than it did on my 2220.80. Picture:
    [​IMG]

Can't help but think crown guard looks narrower in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    ...compared to mine:
    [​IMG]

Second, the caseback doesn’t have the globe logo ... but I understand that doesn’t actually mean anything? I’d love to open it up and have a look at the movement but I gather that’s not a great idea? (I suppose if I wanted to be sure I could accelerate the timeline for my intended sword hands mod...)

Third... it came with the 1503/825 bracelet as well but I promptly removed it because I plan on selling it. Does this look legit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------

Help me put my mind to ease so I can divert my attention to the continued search for a ‘60s Seamaster for my wife!

Thanks. :)

2. ConElPueblo May 19, 2016

Looks fine. Congrats on finding a Seamaster Pro without a completely shagged out bezel! :thumbsup:

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy May 19, 2016

KEEP THE BRACELET if you want to retain resale value (in case of emergency). Looks real to me - congrats.

OMGRLX and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2016

Serial number is correct for a 25318000 - looks fine to me. BTW the 25318000 and 22208000 do not use the same case.

Cheers, Al

DJM74 and OMGRLX like this.
  5. jcmartinez98 May 19, 2016

I'm digging the Evel Knievel/ captain America strap!!

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. relaxer7 May 19, 2016

Pretty sure that's real but it you sell the bracelet on it'll really hurt the resale value - nobody wants to buy these on rubber or a nato cos there's lots to choose from

7. relaxer7 May 19, 2016

Out of interest... how much did you buy it for if you don't mind me asking?

8. 850csi May 19, 2016

Thanks guys, glad to hear it and appreciate the input!

Heh, I like the colors but I've really developed a dislike for NATO straps generally due to the added thickness. Wearing it on this one while I wait for my mesh to get here.

Appreciate the advice. My thought was that, in the event I ever want to sell it (unlikely I think), I'd just acquire another Bond bracelet since they seem to be floating around all the time. I guess if I've got to keep a bracelet in case of need for an emergency sale, I might go and try to find a Speedy bracelet.

9. 850csi May 19, 2016

PMd

10. 850csi May 19, 2016

Watch seems to be about 0:10 slow over 24 hours so perhaps it's in need of a service or regulation. Might get those sword hands in sooner rather than later after all...

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 19, 2016

Sword hands will make it look like something bought at a Bangkok street market.
    Why ruin one of Omega's classics?

Nitzbar likes this.
  12. 850csi May 19, 2016

I go back and forth on this. Love the look but yeah, definitely lose authenticity.