Forums Latest Members
  1. Spartcom5 Apr 29, 2017

Got my Seamaster I found under the table at an estate sale back today. Looks and runs amazing, paid $140 for service so I paid $150 all together for a fully serviced Seamaster caliber 470. All original no redial. Sucks because I forgot to have him let me take a picture of the movement, I can take the back off but I don't know if I want to screw anything up lol. I noticed there is a little of the black gasket sticking out on the back, is this a problem? If so I can have him fix it lol. He polished it lightly on the top, I'm not a fan of polishes but it looks pretty good to me, thoughts? Edit: I see the band is a little too narrow, I need a new one, the one on currently was free.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

alam, ConElPueblo, Tritium and 8 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 29, 2017

Nice result, but if that gasket's an indication of his work I'd find another watchmaker.

Willem023, lando, Dre and 14 others like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 29, 2017

Love the watch and it looks great on that strap.

4. Spartcom5 Apr 29, 2017

Mechanically it runs great, but I agree the gasket makes the work look bad. I'll have him fix it, the watch never even had a gasket when I found it.

5. Spartcom5 Apr 29, 2017

Does anyone think the polish is a bad thing on this watch? Value wise? Looks wise? Also, how long should this watch run for on a full wind and how accurate should it be? Some people on another forum are doubting the professionalism of the work done here! I know and trust my watchmaker and any problems I have can be fixed except for the polishing.... Any input would be great. This is the first Omega I have had serviced!

Also, are the hands original? I thought they were but some people are saying they might not be... Hmm

The fact that it's polished is actually starting to bug me a tad, thoughts?? Here are some pictures of the polish, you can see it is very light, the scratches are all still there but it's just a little shinier. Would this bug you if it was yours lol?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Apr 30, 2017
  6. tdn-dk Apr 30, 2017

Nice, is it a hair laying on the dial between 8-9 marker?

7. Fialetti Apr 30, 2017

Congratulations on your find! It looks good. The polishing would bother me less than the misplaced gasket and the hair that's trapped between the dial and the crystal. Luckily those things should be easy for your watchmaker to fix.

8. Spartcom5 Apr 30, 2017

Lol not a hair that's a straight up scratch, been there since I found it! Check the original picture. I will get the gasket fixed for sure though, if the watch needs any adjusting I can always bring it back to him and fix it.

9. RedPhil Apr 30, 2017

I'd stop worrying and start enjoying - you've got a lovely looking watch all serviced at next to no cost. What's the time keeping like after the service?

Ssunnylee24 and Tritium like this.
  10. Tritium Apr 30, 2017

Nice find :whipped:

I'd let your WM to fit a proper gasket and forget about anything else. You got a really nice watch perfect for daily wear without much worries. Remember, it's a nice watch but not a rare or high collectible one. $150 for your first omega, is a winner. Time to enjoy! :thumbsup:

Remember to let him take a picture of the movement and the inner case back.

11. Spartcom5 May 3, 2017

Here we go! Went back and sorted everything out! The watch is running within 15-20 seconds a day, as far as I can tell. The gasket is fixed and I have some pictures! Looks like it's good to go, now I need a nice band for it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tritium likes this.
  12. Ssunnylee24 May 3, 2017

Amaing thay you found this watch under a table

13. Spartcom5 May 3, 2017

Yea I was a couple hours late to this estate sale and everything was picked over but I looked under the table where they were keeping jewelry and they had a bag with some more stuff in it and they were like yea that's some more jewelry and nobody had looked at it. I bought this Omega for $10 and a nice modern Longines for $15 working with a new battery.

14. marco May 3, 2017

I think the polish is ok, not so sure about your watchmaker if that hair is on the dial. A good watch guy should be able to get it better than 20+ secs.
    A great find

15. brunik May 3, 2017

a ver nice example!

16. Spartcom5 May 3, 2017

It's seriously not hair on the dial, I had it checked out awhile back and it is a bad scratch. Also, there is another scratch on Seamaster between the s and t. Whoever had this watch before really wasn't careful with it!

17. kreyke May 3, 2017

Ah. Shouldn't have gotten it polished. But still a great find for $10. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with this.

18. Spartcom5 May 4, 2017

I somewhat agree on the polish but it doesn't bother me much anymore, could've been worse than that. I will make sure next time he doesn't do it! All the scratches and nicks are still there it's just a little shinier, does make the dial POP a lot more though.