Got hit by a car today - don’t text and drive, folks.

First of all: I’m fine, just a couple bruises and a dented watch, this is mostly a rant and the thought that if just one person reads this and gets rid of that habit it might already be worth it.

So, today I walked down the sidewalk when, from the entry to a supermarket, a car drove straight into me. It wasn’t super quick, maybe ~15kph/10mph, but it was enough for me to hit the hood (and bumper) and be thrown a meter or two on the pavement.

I saw the car just before it hit me, I saw the driver and shouted - he noticed neither that nor me, as he was, of course, texting.
I got up right away, looked at him and while he was now stationary and raising his hand for an apology he continued typing.
He opened the window and said “Are you alright? I didn’t hit you, did I?” I’m usually not one to be lost for words, but right then, I was. So I said yes to both questions and then realized: My watch was gone. The driver, now finally focused on me, just gave me a “Hey, sorry again! Glad you’re ok” and drove off. And unfortunately, I didn’t check the license plate as I was distracted by my Speedy, lying where his car had come to a stop.

Luckily, it was my “beater” Speedy. When I hit the hood with my wrist, a spring bar in the bracelet must’ve let go and the watch dropped to the ground. The guy didn’t drive over it, thankfully, so I’m just left with a slightly damaged 1175, a few new dings on the lugs and the bezel, some bruises and a bit of rage for that fool.
I mean, why the hell would you drive blindly through a parking lot to a street, the one place you’re probably more likely to actually hit someone than anywhere else and then drive off without even getting out?! I don’t get.

Sorry for the negativity. Just had to get this off my chest. Oh, and here’s the watch in question. When I picked it up, it had stop running and the Chrono hand was 2 seconds off - a gentle tap and a reset of the Chrono and it’s been all good since. Let’s hope it stays this way.

658B3E13-4626-43D0-A2D3-1EC00D8A4643.jpeg

Where the bracelet let go:
36EFB24F-2059-4829-8B5C-01C015D3E245.jpeg

And two impressions of the (minor) damage
A232FE6B-2E92-400E-A7B5-8F8BCFEC5753.jpeg
Ding in the bezel over the pusher
9DCF664A-E311-4CB5-BA92-FD61AACE4023.jpeg

I’ll spare you pictures of the my personal dings.

Like 36
Yikes! Glad you’re mostly okay. That’s what’s important. Maybe some witnesses or CCTV? He should be responsible for you and your watch.

Like 9
I don’t think I would have handled it as well as you did- I probably would have started kicking his car- then I would have been fined for damaging his property.

Like 13
Wow.

Good you are not injured.

And I understand your reaction : you were shocked somehow - mentally checking you were all right - and I guess you've never imagined the guy would just behave as he did...and going off like that. Quite amazing behavior indeed.

This guy should not be driving (I mean that's crazy to think he did ask you if he hit you::screwloose:: + he never stopped and get out + actually kept on texting), I prefer to avoid thinking about what would have happen with a kid not seeing the vehicle coming...

On a lighter note, you have now a watch with a personal story.

Like 6
You must have been hit harder than you realized for that to happen to the watch. Sometimes when the adrenaline is pumping, you don't quite realize it until afterwards. I do hope you turn out to be totally OK, and I wish you had gotten the driver's info, just in case.

Like 8
Glad you're ok! It still sounds like you took a pretty good hit though given how far away you fell and it was enough force to dislodge a piece of metal on a device that's meant to stay on at all times. Perhaps consider seeing a doctor if you have any continuing aches and pains. I'm not sure how your health system works, but having documentation of these injuries as a result of this incident may be a good idea.

And yeah, you handled it great. I'm angry on your behalf that this jerk didn't stop to really check on you after he hit you.

Like 5
Glad you're ok. Idiots driving while on their phones is the scariest thing ever. I just assume everyone is doing it, thus always alert. All of sudden it makes sense why car makers are adding so many nannies to cars. No one is paying attention anymore...

Like 4
Hope you report it to the police. The next person this shitbag hits may not be as lucky as you.

Like 5
I'm glad that you're saved from serious injuries.
My mother would've given me a hot cup of milk with teaspoon of turmeric powder right away to address internal injuries and inflammation, if any.

Like 1
Wow!! This made my heart race I'm angry for you. I hope you don't have a concussion or anything, people are such idiots. Keep an eye out for anything weird.

Did anyone around see / come to help you?

Like 1
Thank you all, but I really am fine mentally (I’m not one to be resentful or wrathful really) and physically. My wrist/arm and my leg took the majority of the impact, my head didn’t touch the car or the ground, I wasn’t dizzy or anything, no pain, nothing. I spoke to a doctor (friend of mine) regardless, should be fine. Health insurance is really nothing to worry about here, thanks for the input though.

The CCTV-question is a good one, I’ll check that tomorrow @M’Bob. No police report as there were no witnesses (loads of people around, nobody noticed and I was only on the ground for a few seconds) and basically saying “some guy in a white Volkswagen drove into me” isn’t really bound to be successful.

@Dan S my thoughts exactly regarding the watch/impact, but then it’s a 60-year old bracelet and the spring bars might actually be about the same age…

Like 7
Glad you're ok-ish! Witnessed something similar very recently so I can feel your frustration!

Like 1
Wow, just wow!

First, glad you're okay (are you okay for sure though... did your head take any type of an impact? Quite often adrenaline gets us through the beginning but after it wears off, well things can go downhill quickly. So perhaps a trip to the ER or at least Urgent Care for a check up?).

Second, you get my vote for Sainthood. I would have done a very poor job of handling the motorist and their car.

Seriously, consider a check up with your doctor.

Like 2
God damn. I'm glad you are not hurt.

Guy with kids here. The texting will not stop. It simply can't. The only way I see driving/texting reduced is when phone makers take an active role, a forceful one. On one hand, we almost crack smart self-driving car. On the other, I might probably get hit by a dumb driver, way before then.

I'll help Polywatch that scratch.

Like 2
I’m not one to be resentful or wrathful really…

As you shouldn't be. What goes around comes around, and you do yourself more harm than the other person.

Accidents happen. We get out and check that the other person is okay, exchange insurance information, then go home and tell your family what just happened.

This sounds more like a hit and run. They finished texting, which seems like something a person with zero awareness would do, which is also something they will continue to do. It's unfortunate that they did not have the opportunity to learn from their mistake and to change their behavior before it has worse consequences, either to others or to themselves.

Like 3
As you shouldn't be. What goes around comes around, and you do yourself more harm than the other person.

Accidents happen. We get out and check that the other person is okay, exchange insurance information, then go home and tell your family what just happened.

This sounds more like a hit and run. They finished texting, which seems like something a person with zero awareness would do, which is also something they will continue to do. It's unfortunate that they did not have the opportunity to learn from their mistake and to change their behavior before it has worse consequences, either to others or to themselves.

True, which is my main motivation to actually check if the event was CCTV’ed tomorrow. The moment itself went by too quickly, I mean between getting hit and him leaving were maybe 10 seconds or so, and my focus was on the Speedy on the floor. Not intentionally, but, you know. These things happen so quickly. All of a sudden there’s something that grabs your attention and then the moment is gone.

Like 2
he noticed neither that nor me, as he was, of course, texting.

Not texting. I was using a new app to order some schnitzel.

Edit: But good you're ok!

Like 4
True, which is my main motivation to actually check if the event was CCTV’ed .
The supermarket will have video of the parking lot. With a little luck enough cameras so one has the plate number.

but many only have a 24hr loop so may want to at fast on that

Like 1