Forums Latest Members
  1. ThatMansMustache Nov 7, 2014

Fairly new here, and am absolutely blown away by the quality and quantity of vintage Omegas you all own! Been a watch lover ever since I took apart my first dollar pocket watch as a kid. And the older I get, the more I love and appreciate the vintage stuff. So now I have taken the plunge and picked up my first Omega. Don't get too excited now, no Speedie, no Connie, no Hippocampus. Just an old 2179/3 that needs some love. Looks like it has the original strap and some really nice patina! I don't believe it was a war watch, very few scratches or dings. The hands move, but no ticking. If I had to guess, the mainspring's broken. Here's a few pics to give you an idea. I'll be looking to have the old COA and a crystal polish, but nothing more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory wrist shot. Dang, it feels good!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 7, 2014

That's one of the better examples of this model I've seen, if you ever get tired of this project let me know. :) Looks great!

Matty01 likes this.
  3. marturx Nov 7, 2014

If you can wind it forever without stop, then the mainspring is broken. If you can wind it in full, and it doesn't run, then it will most likely need a cleaning and a service

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2014

Looks like a nice, honest watch to me. My guess on these later Ref. 2179 with this particular dial style is that they were sold just after WWII through the US military PX stores, particularly in Europe. Could have been part of the original order that were never actually issued.

I have this only on anecdotal evidence from the previous owners of my watch and one or two others that I've corresponded with over the years.

Mine came with a signed Omega strap and buckle which I believe to be original:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Varasc, Gavin, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  5. Mothra Nov 7, 2014

Looks great! What's the diameter?

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2014

They are about 35mm without the crown (which is a bit larger than normal).
    gatorcpa

JohnSteed likes this.
  7. JohnSteed Nov 7, 2014

Not big by today's ginormus standards, sure, but just right!!!

8. Vintagewatchuk Nov 7, 2014

Great looking piece. Honest and original. Love Arabic. Numerals. If. The mainspring isn't broken but is blue steel make sure the service nan replaces it. The original. Blue steel springs just don't cut the mustard after so long. Thanks for the share.

9. ThatMansMustache Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm pretty stoked about getting this watch. Won it thru a regional online auction. It was part of a lot that included an Asian scarf, a Precision by Gruen quartz ladies watch, a small glass heart necklace and an old Spiedel ID bracelet engraved with PETER. WTF! Had it for $17 until about 20 minutes left. Someone ran me up to $77 before it ended. I'm sure that's why it kinda flew under the radar. When it arrived, there was a rattle inside. Knew that wasn't good. Opened it up and found the screw holding the gear on the mainspring barrel had come loose. So I don't know if the mainspring is broken or detached. That's for someone more skilled than myself to figure out.

Gatorcpa, thanks for the history! My strap certainly looks period, but the buckle is unsigned. Might try and preserve the leather and re-stitch it. I'm sure I can find a newer one that looks vintage.

Basically I have Omega tastes and a Bulova budget. Actually, I'm rocking my Granddads retirement watch, a 1969 Bulova that he didn't wear much. So I'll have to really go off the beaten path to find the deals.

I'll make sure I keep you all posted on my progress.

Cheers!

Dave

Vintagewatchuk and Darlinboy like this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2014

I don't care if it is broken - for $77 that's a total score!

Vintagewatchuk likes this.
  11. Wongo Nov 8, 2014

What a steal!

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 8, 2014

I bet you were really after the little glass heart necklace weren't you ;)

That is an awesome buy for $77, sell all of the other crap and you could write down even a few more bucks!

(I don't want the Speidel though!)

Here's is one of mine to keep you interested in your project.

Cheers

Jim

USAO1.JPG

rolexfantastic and TNTwatch like this.
  13. tdn-dk Nov 8, 2014

I also got mine 2179/6 as a project Watch, non running for about 83 usd, the prior owner have tried to lubricate it so it was filled with WD40 !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rolexfantastic and TNTwatch like this.
  14. rolexfantastic Nov 8, 2014

Mine is a 2179/2. Size 35 mm.
    The lollipop hand is probably a replace, but i like it.

20141108_103722.jpg 20141108_103502.jpg 20141108_103602.jpg 20141108_103655.jpg

/F

TNTwatch likes this.
  15. marturx Nov 8, 2014

Either you´re a quick learner, or either you have a background in vintage that you have not told us.

So far you nailed it, from how to buy to how to treat a collectible item.

I´m sure the movement trouble is a quick fix, if you just go to the right place.

TNTwatch likes this.
  16. ThatMansMustache Nov 8, 2014

Been lurking here for a while, so I have picked up some great tips and ideas. Plus, I do have an eye for quality vintage stuff. Lately, my thing has been vintage hand tools from the 40s. I guess I'm expanding my horizons! ;)

Thanks for showing me all your fine examples, I would like to know what straps you have. That's the look I'm going for.

And for those that are interested, here's the lot I bid on.

[​IMG]

Everyone have a great weekend!

Dave

Vintagewatchuk and Tritium like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 8, 2014

ThatMansMustache likes this.
  18. ThatMansMustache Nov 9, 2014

19. ThatMansMustache Feb 2, 2015

Update!

Got my watch back this weekend. Andy at Ohio Watch Repair did a nice job of getting it back up and running, and more importantly followed my wishes about preserving the patina. Replaced the mainspring and crystal, straightened the crown, gave it a good cleaning and the usual service. I found a nice strap that looked like it was made out of a weathered old bomber jacket and had him install it. Here's a few pics to show the results.
    [​IMG]

Pay no attention to the man in the reflection
    [​IMG]

Clean shiny movement!
    [​IMG]

JohnSteed, LouS, oddboy and 8 others like this.