Forums Latest Members

Goodwood Revival 9th-11th September GTG?

1. ChrisN Aug 6, 2016

Inspired by @kov 's reply here, are many of us going to this? Worth a little meet up?

We'll be there with one old Jaguar and likely only one old Omega. After years of staying in hotels and being forced to spend longer and longer driving in each day, opted for a rented caravan on site last year and found it worked really well but, am not leaving watches there so, only the one. Will spend the evening there as well as "Over the Road" has music till 10 or 11. So any time works to meet up.

Okay, last year it was sunny every day so my first experience in a van worked well. God knows what it will be like if it rains....

Did some work on the XK today and a bit of underbonnet preparation;). Air filters currently soaking in oil...

120 engine.jpg

Cheers, Chris

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 6, 2016

Heheh why not, always happy to put faces on nicknames and avatars :thumbsup:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. ChrisN Aug 6, 2016

Might just be the two of us but good to meet for a beer. A lot going on at Goodwood If it's your first time?. Let's see if there's anyone else...

Assume you're flying in for the weekend?

Cheers, Chris

4. BlueBoy Aug 6, 2016

Hi Chris, I am going to try to come down, work permitting, and might even bring an old wreck and an Omega...

5. ChrisN Aug 6, 2016

Brilliant. Nice to put some faces, watches (and cars) to people. Have to arrange work around these things, I'm covering August in Spain when most people are away only so I can get back in September. Difficult at the moment as am snowed under :( but looking forward to time in UK and Goodwood

Cheers, Chris

6. BlueBoy Aug 6, 2016

Well i hope to be there, and it would be lovely to put some faces to avatars, and even better to get some good info on XK's as I almost bought a 150s FHC last year..

7. ChrisN Aug 7, 2016

Nice cars. The markets gone mad at the moment so it's definitely a case of looking long and hard especially for an S. Be good to have a chat.

So, we're up to three....

8. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2016

Should be there from Thursday to Sunday ::psy::

9. tyrantlizardrex Aug 16, 2016

Could potentially get down on Sunday...

10. tyrantlizardrex Aug 16, 2016

...except that Sunday is sold out. Bums.

11. ChrisN Aug 16, 2016

If you've not been before, Sunday would be a brilliant day. Includes the RAC TT race which is one of the highlights.

Keep an eye out here for spare tickets.

Cheers, Chris

12. tyrantlizardrex Aug 16, 2016

Are you chaps likely to be around on the Sunday?

13. ChrisN Aug 23, 2016

I'm sorry, I completely missed this. Yes, we'll be there Sunday but, it's a busy day with lots of racing. I was thinking to meet for a beer for an hour or so on Saturday. Not really a proper Get together but at least a little time to say hello.

If you do decide to come down on Sunday we'll definitely be there to have a chat and a drink.

I doubt there's anybody else so just so you know what it's like, here's a quick video showing the RAC TT start a few years ago. Apologies for the poor quality but I'm not one for recording events.

Cheers, Chris

14. ChrisN Sep 24, 2016

Well, we completely failed with this mini GTG as the Saturday weather was dreadful and we spent our time in the grandstand, Bonham's auction and various Gin bars;). Ah well, possibly next year. Stayed on site in a rented caravan and here's the XK slumbering on Sunday morning after the Saturday weather - never put the hood up as the tonneau serves to keep the inside of the car dry.
    DSC_4780 (3).JPG

Few photos from the chicane grandstand where we spent some time on Sunday as well - glorious weather. There are lots of races so here just a few photos.

Looking right to Woodcote corner at the end of the Lavant straight - the best part of Goodwood is how close you can get to the racing and these shots are taken standing in front of the grandstand.
    DSC_4793 (2).JPG

Sir Jackie Stewart in a track parade.
    DSC_4802 (2).JPG
    A pair of Cobras in the RAC TT (this is the big race of the weekend) going through the chicane to the left of the grandstand.
    DSC_4812 (2).JPG
    This E-Type was the eventual winner of the TT. Here, being hounded by the number 2 Cobra which he dealt with on the second to last lap.
    DSC_4809 (2).JPG
    Corporate area on the other side of the track. People are making an effort and generally everyone entered into the spirit with the whole 40s/50s/60s dress code. OK, for me that's not much more than a tweed jacket and flat cap but, I accessorized with my late sixties SM120 which was probably taking it a bit far... Oddly, a female friend was invited to a corporate event at the F1 (Silverstone) a couple of months previously and all was going swimmingly until there was a sudden loud noise as they started the cars at which she exclaimed "what the blo**&! hell was that?". Once the keen ones explained that this is how it was going to be all day, she was looking for a taxi home:D. Anyway, have told her to get the company to go to Goodwood next year, just as noisy but at least a chance to dress up.
    DSC_4790 (2).JPG
    Cheers, Chris

levkov, Archer, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Sep 24, 2016

Fantastic photos! I'm properly jealous.

16. Slipstreamer Sep 25, 2016

It would be nice to go to the festival one of these days.