Good watch fortune to start the new year

Sorry. Images are posted in the 2nd post.

So about a year ago I was recklessly mucking about inside a Wakmann triple date/Val 730. It is a good watch but was keeping awful time, and I could see the hairspring was mangled, so I set about trying to straighten it. At this point, I will caution any of you who is not proficient in watchmaking against trying to fix a hairspring. It is an art form, and I am no artist. And they are VERY easy to break. I figured if I ruined the part, I'd just locate another for 50 bucks or so and replace it. Sadly, it wasn't until AFTER I ruined the old one that I learned it is IMPOSSIBLE to find just a hairspring for most old balances, and for the 730, there just aren't parts to be found at any usual source. I think I found one on ebay for 550 usd, balance complete. Yikes. I felt like a nitwit, and set the watch aside, hoping to maybe someday find a balance.

Two days ago I was searching junk on Facebook marketplace and happened upon the Wakmann shown below. It was 30 mins away and priced at 100. The kid who had it knew it was worth good money if in good shape, but it was clearly in need of love. It had not been opened in ages, so I was just hoping the balance was good. I got the watch and opened it up (had brought along a two point opener). The watch was running. The heart beating...though faint. I wound it, and found the mainspring was broken and would only store an hour or so worth of energy. But the watch was a perfect heart donor.

Anyway, I got home, popped the entire balance with bridge in my triple date reverse panda, and off it went. It's keeping great time. I know...it should be serviced, but it won't be worn, like 95 percent of my watches. I sold the rest of movement, etc for a nice chunk, too. I am taking this as a good sign for the new year.

Like 7
While not a chrono. I found a black Wakmann dial in the junk box. And it fit one of my AS 1187/94 plates that I was testing rust remover on. And I found I had NOS hands to. Plus over 1/2 dozen different balances to practice on. All told there were enough 'spare' parts to mostly assemble 5 movements. Several will not run due to not finding enough cap jewels. I should however have enough material to get the Wakmann running again.

I really need to get new tweezers for working on the hairsprings. Which is another 200 bucks ...

Like 2

Were it me I would have restored your parts watch as well, missed opportunity, costly and time consuming but once done with your personal investment you would have a keeper.

Were it me I would have restored your parts watch as well, missed opportunity, costly and time consuming but once done with your personal investment you would have a keeper.
Let's do the math: I sold it for 750. Balance 550, case, crystal, dial, hands, and a few small parts cost at approx another 500. And I do simple movement service on my own stuff, but I would not try to service that movement. Watchmaker labor another 500 ish. The 1500 extra is as much as the gold triple dates sell for in many cases, complete and running. That does not include the 750 for the movement. So...pardon me for disagreeing. It was a better deal to sell it for 750 and be done. That was AFTER removing the balance and using it. You see asking prices over 2000 for them, but find actual sales. Also, they are not easy to sell.

Like 2
Let's do the math: I sold it for 750. Balance 550, case, crystal, dial, hands, and a few small parts cost at approx another 500. And I do simple movement service on my own stuff, but I would not try to service that movement. Watchmaker labor another 500 ish. The 1500 extra is as much as the gold triple dates sell for in many cases, complete and running. That does not include the 750 for the movement. So...pardon me for disagreeing. It was a better deal to sell it for 750 and be done. That was AFTER removing the balance and using it. You see asking prices over 2000 for them, but find actual sales. Also, they are not easy to sell.
Agree the gold triple is a harder sell and THAT is a parts watch. Your reverse Panda however is not a cheap watch in what appears to be fair to good condition. The Dink posted one recently and it sold immediately.

Very true , potentially an expensive exercise but you have the luxury of time and these parts will eventually pop up at the right price.
I am also very lucky with my Watchmaker as his charge to me is a fraction of what he charges normally to retail trade.
In my particular world watch restorations often exceed any likely financial return in the current market and many of the pieces in my collection will need wait many years to be economic.
Just a different watch collecting perspective really.

Like 1
It is real easy to throw good money after bad. Or to spend pennies on small things when one could spend pounds on something nice. Thanks to the OP I avoided several impulse purchases in the last few days. Sure they look great, and the cost of a lunch will not hurt. At least in the short run. But add them up and the item really needed gets skipped over.

The problem with incomplete watches. Is one tends to get more incomplete watches. And I have 7 more projects due to arrive from before this post. Including two or three watch assemblies for hairsprings.

Sure selling stuff is boring. I hate it as much as I hate working on hairsprings. On the other hand tweezers are not cheap 35 or so for basic ones, and over 60 for Bergeon bronze. Trick is I like to order tools during business hours. But watches sales tend to peak in the evening. So does one get a watch movement for the case clamps. Or a bronze pair of tweezers?

I think the OP has the right attitude. Does help when one is playing with watches that have some value.

Like 2
I briefly considered keeping the gold one. There is a guy on ebay who is parting out two of them, and most of the parts were available, but the balance would have still been a costly purchase...or a long wait. It looked like the perfect time to cut bait, make a little money, and get my TDRP back in the game. I've been wearing it since. Every one of my watch purchases are made with at least one eye on what I perceive to be the financial future of the watch. I know some hate that view. We don't have to agree.

But...if you have a good watchmaker who can do a movement as complex as this one for less than 500...especially if it's considerably less...I want his number. Although, I'm not sure I want a guy who is worth than 75 per hour with his fingers in my watch.

Like 1
It pays to have an eye to the future, like you all my purchases need to meet an economic requirement for future value.
I am blessed in my Watchmaker in that he is semi retired and has a passion for watches and pocket watches, it's not the money that is his driver.