Forums Latest Members
  1. Irishguy Aug 12, 2018

I can buy this for € 1000 -- seamaster with Quartz movement -- any advise greatly appreciated thanks

image.jpeg
    The Father likes this.
  2. Davidt Aug 12, 2018

Have you searched for similar examples on google/eBay to see what they sell for?

If you want advise on that specific watch, you'll need to post more pictures from various angles.

On the whole quartz watches are less desirable than mechanical.

Irishguy likes this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 12, 2018

From the single picture, I'm guessing it's a 2541.80. Overall it looks quite clean and the only sign of wear appears to be a scratch on the bezel between the 2 and 3 o'clock. I like that it appears to have superluminova rather than tritium, as I (personally) have no liking for the "fried egg" look that tritium sometimes degrades to. The price looks to be towards the lower end of what these sell for, but then again, there are a lot of unknowns such as the condition of the rest of the watch, does it come with box and papers, service history etc.

As for desirability, yes probably less than the mechanical versions, but these make great grab'n'go daily wearers.

Edited Aug 12, 2018
    Irishguy likes this.
  4. Irishguy Aug 12, 2018

Hi yes it comes with a box & some cards with ref numbers etc on them , it says 2003 on one of them as to when it was bought but I think from the serial number it looks to be from 1998 , but maybe it sat in a shop for a few years before it sold , there is some service history but only relating to waterproofness etc , there is some scuffing on the braclet buckle but not too bad , I'd say it could be polished out of it if needed , I'm still in thinking mode on it & I will bring it to a jeweller tomorrow to get it checked over etc

Edited Aug 13, 2018
  5. ac106 Aug 12, 2018

The seller will let you bring it to a jeweler? Is he a friend? That’s good as you can examine in hand and post photos from different angles. Make sure you take a pic of the inside of the caseback when opened at the jeweler and post the reference number.

Irishguy likes this.
  6. Irishguy Aug 12, 2018

This is the Serial number: 58326129 on the back of the watch in a small corner on the outside , is there more numbers inside when the watch is opened up ? Yes I know the seller he is a friend of a friend , so hopefully all will be ok , I'll know tomorrow after the jeweller gets a good look at it etc

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 12, 2018

Good enough for British royalty good enough for anyone.

UncleBuck and Irishguy like this.
  8. jaguar11 Aug 12, 2018

Goldeneye... James Bond. Has to be good!

Irishguy likes this.
  9. sevykor Aug 12, 2018

They are great considering the simplicity and robust characteristics of a quartz. There is a mechanical version of the same watch too for a little more money on the used market.

Irishguy likes this.
  10. Irishguy Aug 17, 2018

A little update - thanks for all the replys , after getting the watch checked out with my jeweller I bought the watch , I paid € 920 for it , now I'm getting a full service done on it that the jeweller told me will take 2 to 3 weeks , the cost of the service is € 150 so I'm just happy to say I'll have my first omega seamaster in a few weeks time at a total cost of € 1070 , I think I did ok , well I'm happy enough anyway I know it's not mechanical but I'm happy with the Quartz version

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 17, 2018

Who else needs to be happy?

12. Irishguy Aug 18, 2018

Now you said it , your 100 % right uncle buck

13. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 17, 2018

If you're referring to princess Diana's seamaster (passed on to prince William), wasn't that a midsize 2561.80? Was there someone in the royal family wearing a 2541.80?

Edited Oct 17, 2018
  14. Stufflers Mom Oct 17, 2018

It's a reasonable price, but it's not the sale of the century.

15. jimcarver Oct 17, 2018

I have one, my first decent watch so I wouldn't ever part with it. But you can probably get the mechanical version for not too much more. I would do that.

16. JamieG Oct 18, 2018

If you’re happy with it, and it sounds like you are, it shouldn’t matter that you’ve possibly paid a little too much for it.

It’s a damn fine watch that will serve you well. What you paid is largely irrelevant unless you intend to sell it at a later date.

17. Irishguy Oct 18, 2018

Yes he is correct , prince William wears this exact watch ,his mother bought it for him & he never wears anything else

18. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 18, 2018

Prince William wears a 2561.80, which is a midsize. The picture you've shown is of a 2541.80, which is a fullsize. Not the same watch.

19. Irishguy Oct 18, 2018

Yes but I just Ment its an omega seamaster 300m Quartz also

image.jpeg