Forums Latest Members

Good resources for a newbie to learn

1. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 1, 2016

Other than this site, are there other resources (online or otherwise) the forum can recommend for someone new to collecting to learn? I checked the messages boards but i didn't see a compressive list of recommended resources so I thought I would go right to the experts. Thanks for your help!

Linesiders likes this.
  2. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Jun 1, 2016

Scouter?

Lots of great info here - just learning Speedys myself - welcome aboard!

3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 1, 2016

citizenrich and chronos like this.
  4. WurstEver Jun 1, 2016

Jking and rcs914 like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 1, 2016

Moon Watch Only / Universal Geneve by Sala and other books are well worth the investment if you intend to collect.

Jking likes this.
  6. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 2, 2016

I appreciate the suggestions. Man that speedmaster101 site was a wealth of knowledge! I spent an hour last night there alone. As I get more into this I can definitely see myself purchasing the Moon Watch Only book in the future...crazy it's a 4-6 month shipping time on that from Amazon. If anyone has any other suggestions (other online watch forums/sites, magazines that would be worth getting a subscription, ect) please keep them coming! Thanks again for your help.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2016

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 2, 2016

Just bought both from Hodinkee.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 2, 2016

I think the books would depend on what it is you want to collect. I would tell you to go get "A Journey Through Time" from an Omega Boutique, but why invest $400 in that book if you have no interest in Omegas.

Go to your local public library and see if they have any books on watch collecting in general.

After that, let us know what interests you and we can make more tailored suggestions.
    gatorcpa

Jking and Larry S like this.
  10. Vitezi Jun 2, 2016

11. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 3, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely interested in omega and plan on starting my collection with a SM AT I'm purchasing today. Unfortunately I'm near New Orleans and the closed AD or OB to me is Houston which is over a 5 hour drive (and that's with good traffic). I will try my local library and see what is available there. Thanks again.

12. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 3, 2016

Thanks for this. I went down the rabbit hole last night with your first link and that was a ton of good info for someone like me...some of it was a bit too technical for me at this point but I read it nonetheless...have to start learning it at some point! I will continue to mine those links over the weekend. Btw I found two magazines (watchtime and IW) ld either of those be worth a subscription? Thanks for your help!

13. Vitezi Jun 3, 2016

I 've occasionally purchased glossy watch magazines to read on a long plane flight. They do a nice job covering new watches and new technology, but I think you can get the same coverage from any one of the watch-focused sites and blogs such as Hodinkee, A Blog to Watch, Monochrome, and Fratello among many others. You might be interested in subscribing to their (free) newsletters. My interests are tied to vintage watches, so I find watch forums, auction catalogs, reference books and vintage-oriented blogs to be better sources of information then magazines for what I'm looking for.

By the way, those links were all authored by forum moderator @ulackfocus for your reading pleasure.

14. ulackfocus Jun 3, 2016

Yeah, that was back when I liked n00bs. :D ::stirthepot::

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2016

That's what cellphones and e-mail are for.

If you want the book, call them, or maybe just contact the Omega US main office in NJ. I think it's close to going out of print as they will be revising and adding new models over the next couple of years.
    gatorcpa