Forums Latest Members

Good quality Croc Straps from Vietnam

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

I stumbled across an eBay seller from Vietnam who makes crocodile straps to the Omega deployant pattern, and decided to try them out. I bought the 20mm version in red-brown:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221737043012Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

You can tell it's a genuine skin when you flex it; the skin stretches in the same place it would on a live crocodile. Interestingly, it seems to be lined with some other grained animal skin, perhaps buffalo?

Finish is good; this is a shiny as opposed to matte finish. The buckle end of the strap is nearly identical to OEM; the hole end of the strap is a mm or two longer but not enough to be bothersome.

The straps are quite flexible new. Won't take a long time to break in. As for how durable they'll be, if the skins they started with are of good quality, then there is no reason to think that the strap won't last a long time. For $40, I think it's a steal.

They also make straps for pin buckles if you prefer that or you don't have an Omega.

Tom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited May 1, 2015
    blacka01, kkt, mikechi22 and 3 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 1, 2015

Those look very nice. Might try one. Will save in my want list on eBay.

Does anyone know if these are CITES certified?

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/what.php

Hopefully they will not be seized by US Customs.
    gatorcpa

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

The declaration on the package says "1 handmade leather watch strap". So I've have to say no.

Did a little looking online and it seems that this is a crocodile, not alligator... and that the Siamese crocodile is extensively farmed in Vietnam for skins and food.

Article: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/DH20Ae02.html

Tom

Edited May 1, 2015
    Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2015

I have ordered several, very satisfied. incredible price.

5. ulackfocus May 1, 2015

I'll have to go bend some live crocodiles for comparison purposes.

6. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

Me too!
    Excellent quality
    Just don't forget to ask for holes.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2015

Without buckle hole they can be used with Omega deployant.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 1, 2015

According to the article you posted, at least one crocodile farm in Vietnam is CITES certified. Whether the hides used in these watchbands are from a CITES farm is anyone's guess.

So there is a decent shot.
    gatorcpa

9. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

To clarify, NONE of this sellers strap auctions come with holes in the strap, unless you ask for them specifically. I ordered mine with 6 holes of
    2mm any they work nicely with a standard modern buckle. That's what the heads up was about. You will love the quality, finish and liner.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

I'm not sure what you mean? The non-buckle side of the strap I received clearly had holes in it... pretty much the same as an OEM Omega strap.

Tom

11. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

Glad you got your holes
    I bought mine 2 months ago. At the time, none
    of the auctions seemed to have holes.
    My auction(s) stated:

1.DESCRIPTION

If you want to make strap holes and buckle hole please email me after purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221681026604?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321632345623?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT`Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

Well, that's not the same thing, now, is it? The auction I reference above says "for Omega" and clearly shows the holes. Since I know how to read, I knew what I was getting.

"That was then, this is now."

Tom

13. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

WTF is your problem?
    I was trying to warn people to be sure
    and order the holes. You've got nothing better
    to do than be a troll?

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

WTF is your problem?
    Your auction was nothing like mine.
    You have nothing better than to post irrelevancies?

Tom

15. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

You're are irrelevant, and a troll.
    Go away.

16. pitpro Likes the game. May 1, 2015

And it's not irrelevant, half of his current auctions
    state the same, even your auction

Edited May 1, 2015
    KIMBER likes this.
  17. ulackfocus May 2, 2015

Sorry Tom, but it isn't the first time you've been abrasive. Act like a schmuck and you WILL be called out on it here. I thought you'd have learned that by now - and you have a title under your name to remind you of the last incident.

Thanks,
    Some random guy.

Fritz and KIMBER like this.
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 2, 2015

Heh, abrasive. Me.

Something I forgot to mention that is important to me, so how did I forget it? The thickness. The straps are padded and not padded, if that makes any sense, the same way the OEM straps are. I've seen other aftermarket straps where the buckle end, for example, is padded all of the way to the buckle, and I'm not a fan of that.

They don't currently have any auctions for 20mm black, but I will be buying one if they do.

I'm half-tempted to see if they'll make the older-style twin pad except 20/18 instead of 20/16.

Tom

19. TexOmega Jul 2, 2015

I ordered a dry run of two(black and brown-red) for my 168.010 to determine the turn-around time and quality.

FANTASTIC quality and execution. Stitching and finish both superb. Turn around quick.

This is the brown-red with specified small round scales and at 19mm/16mm stainless buckle, XL size.

gator strap (Copy).JPG

kkt, cicindela, CdnWatchDoc and 3 others like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 2, 2015

Don't leave us hanging Tex...the big question is, did it have holes and did you have to ask for them!