Forums Latest Members

Good NATO or simple nylon straps

1. cgreen Jul 31, 2014

Evening everyone,

I want to thank you all for responding to my questions on the 45th Anniversary titanium moonwatch last week. I was inquiring on behalf of my Dad. My main concern was the quality of the movement but you all assuaged my fears and my Dad ended up buying the piece, it was delivered Tuesday.

He loves it but he finds the heavy-gauge nylon NATO bulky and a bit uncomfortable. He's looking to keep that strap in the box and instead purchase another NATO style strap, can anyone on the forum recommend a source for good quality straps in the U.S.?

Whatever ya'll can come up with is terrific, thanks very much again for all of your help thus far. Looking forward to seeing the responses.

Speak soon.

Chris

2. mtbkr65 Jul 31, 2014

3. cgreen Jul 31, 2014

That's a great looking strap, thanks for the suggestion I'll follow the link. In general are there things to be aware of when purchasing a NATO strap? Should they be soft or rigid?

Thanks again,

Chris

4. jeffreytferg Aug 1, 2014

I rely on www.crownandbuckle.com and/or www.thenatostrap.com, and have purchased more than a dozen between the two. Both are U.S./domestic. If you're looking to avoid the bulkier straps, do not buy C&B's Heavy Duty NATOs. Otherwise, both companies provide thin and relatively soft (not too rigid, not too flimsy) straps.

5. GrouchoM Aug 1, 2014

Just to add, the extra keeper of NATO straps can be removed (melt the little bit of remaining strap) to result in a RAF-style strap that is still equally functional but even less bulky and has only two rings.

6. GrouchoM Aug 1, 2014

7. cgreen Aug 1, 2014

Hi everyone,

My apologies for the delayed response, big doings around here, we're having a baby any day now. I've checked out Crown and Buckle and will look at The NATO Strap sometime this weekend. Thank you very much for the suggestion. And GrouchoM, thank you for the thoughts on cutting the strap, I may advise my father to do just that. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Take good care.

Chris

mtbkr65 likes this.
  8. Spy You know my name. Aug 5, 2014

9. Df13 Aug 6, 2014

I just did that to one of my Maratac NATOs today, because I highly prefer the RAF style. I removed the second keeper, too.

aqua terra.jpg photo.JPG
  10. cgreen Aug 13, 2014

Spy and DF13, thank you very much for your NATO strap thoughts, I appreciate it. I'll have this solved in no time. Take care.

C