Forums Latest Members
  1. Joem20 Apr 30, 2019

Hello,

Hope you don’t mind me joining the forum.

I am looking to purchase my first omega, and have a few questions, if someone could offer advice.

The main one being what to avoid when purchasing to avoid buying a fake or replica?

It’s probably a big question and has been answered many times.

I will have a search through the forum for further advice, but it was mainly just to say hello for now.

Thanks, Joe

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. Sublime_1 Apr 30, 2019

You buy the seller.

3. MikeMan2727 Apr 30, 2019

4. 77deluxe Apr 30, 2019

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 30, 2019

Are you looking at New, Vintage, or used?

6. Vitezi Apr 30, 2019

7. boraxman Apr 30, 2019

Howdy...fairly new here myself.

8. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Thank you. As for what I want, I want everything, the more I look the little gems I uncover.

But the one that started it all was a chronograph planet ocean, in a variety of designs and colours depending on my mood.

I am trying to find a used planet ocean and would like to spend 3-4k.

But vintage stuff is becoming more appealing by the day.....

Could someone comment on buying form the following places:
    Watchmaster
    Chrono 24
    Watchfinder
    Chrono next

Are all these places selling as they state, genuine watches, if I bought one from them it will be 100% genuine.

Also considering buying from a private seller, but the pitfalls seem to outweigh spending a few extra hundred buying from a shop.

Cheers, Joe

9. omegaswisst May 1, 2019

Hi @Joem20 and welcome to the forum.

As previously mentioned do your research and hang around on the forum for a while. You will quickly pick up on what to look out for when making a purchase both with respect to the watch and seller.

Plenty of good sellers in the "private watch sales" and "watches for sale" forums.

You can also look at "seller profiles and reviews" to check out a particular seller if a watch takes your fancy.

10. Omegafanman May 1, 2019

I took me a while to get used to the search function but there is a huge amount of info on the old threads. In terms of where to buy every sea has some sharks and its fair share of clown fish so the more you know about a piece the less chance of catching a cold by accident or design. In my experience you can negotiate with a good AD. For grey in the UK, Watchfinder are professional to deal with and also iconicwatches. Better to travel and see a watch if you can IMHO but I have bought international over the net and used Chrono 24 without issue. I get any vintage watches fully serviced which tends to cover a multitude of sins. I have not bought from this forum yet (as a newbie) but as @Sublime_1 said you should buy the seller and people clearly know their stuff here.... happy hunting.

Edited May 1, 2019
  11. Edward53 May 1, 2019

This.

12. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Yes very true, I am mastering the sech function on the threads but keep getting lost in, not totally pointless, but very interesting and highly amusing other topics. Great forum, learning already.

13. Omegafanman May 1, 2019

I should have added with Watchfinder I did a part ex. I am happy long term with my new 'old watch' and inflation should pull back any profit I lost over time. I know you can get more selling and buying direct / private but sometimes for speed and security it is a quick and fairly safe option plus they had the watch I wanted. I guess it is no different to using a car supermarket verses buying from the private adverts.

14. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Am I allowed to post links to eBay auctions for comment on if the item is worth the price etc? Or it is a fake. Thanks.

15. Omegafanman May 1, 2019

People do that but they post the pictures from the auction and not just a link. People prefer to see the pictures on this forum.

16. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Ok, here on this thread or start a new one in a different section?

17. Omegafanman May 1, 2019

I don't think 'good evening' will pull in much traffic for you as a non specific title..... and with that good luck for your future posts and good afternoon sir :0)