Good deal? Modern Seamaster 300 master coaxial for vintage Seamaster 321 chrono

Hi All,
I've been given the opportunity to trade my 2016 Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial (plus a couple of hundred in cash) for a mid 60's Seamaster 321 chrono (ref 105.004 in steel and gold). I've always liked the old 321 Seamasters but I'm wondering if you think this is a reasonable deal? I'd be giving up the robustness of a modern diver and water resistance for something more fragile, but the 321 would be a nice piece of history and I like the small case size, so I'm torn...

What do you think?

compare.jpg
(pic is just for reference)

Not sure on the values of the two but I say that I find the chrono much more interesting and a cool and unusual piece of history.

I think when it comes down to it, at the end of the day a trade is about getting what you want less than it is about price. If you are really moved by something, then it's the right thing to do.

That Chrono is amazing. Can’t help with the value aspect but that is a hot watch

What is the value of your watch?
Looking around online they're going for around $5k AUD (~3400USD).

What does "pic is just for reference" mean? Is that the actual watch you're being offered?

If the Chronograph is in good condition, am assuming those are reference pictures not the actual watches in question, I would go for the trade. You can always find a replacement Co Axial Seamaster down the track, finding another good 321 Seamaster Chronograph will be a bigger ask.
I have been trying to find a good 321 Seamaster for a long while now.
All the best with it.

The pushers of the Seamaster 321 look wrong to me and there seems to be a strange distraction from the crystal. Do you have some more pictures of this watch?

The watch ref. is 145.005, right?
Edited:

Let me tell you a story...

In January of 2019 I walked into my favorite jeweler and found this watch for $1800:

IMG_2874.jpg

When I saw the price, I immediately jumped on it. Being an Omega collector I knew how special this watch was and I even told my friend, the jeweler, what he had. He still insisted that he would sell it to me at that price so of course I obliged him.

Fast forward to 8 months later. As we all do, I started to get bored wearing it. I'm not a one watch collector but I'm close to it. Still a college student so I don't have the funds to have a ~10k watch collection I can rotate through. Anyways, I've always been a Speedy fan, and it's still my grail watch. Knowing that I could get around ~4k for my CK2451-7 321 Chronograph, I went to the 'Bay and sold it. As I shipped it out, I immediately regretted it. I bought my Speedy but immediately got bored because I missed my 321.

Let's fast forward again to late last month, nearly a year after I parted with my 321. I still thought about this watch every day. EVERY. DAY. I ended up messaging the seller and hoping that he didn't flip the watch. Well, he didn't, and long story short, he offered the watch back to me for what he paid me for it.

This begs the question of whether I wasted my money re acquiring the watch, but in the end I came out even since I didn't over pay to get it back. Basically, the guy I sold it to rented the watch from me for a year for free.

Anyways, I know that's a long read but the point is, GET THE 321 CHRONOGRAPH. They are rare, and mine is particularly rare. The fact that it was my first "win" when purchasing a vintage watch was also significant. It had that memory attached to it. As others have said, you can replace a modern Omega pretty easily, especially when you buy second hand.

NOTE: Sorry for any grammatical errors.. I'm tired as hell and going to bed. Check back with you peeps in the morning! 😀

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sure if you go through my post history you can see the threads I made asking the question of whether I should sell for a Speedy or not!

Condition of the vintage watch would be most important. I see a lot of dreamers on ebay asking 5k plus for similar watches, but if you check sales, most go in the low 2ks and a little under 2k when they auction. BIN prices mean little to nothing, in my opinion. I'd say your coaxial is worth more. The good news on the vintage is that it will appreciate, slowly. I'm not so sure about the coaxial.

Also, be sure you understand how much smaller the vintage is. It will wear more like a dress watch than a Speedmaster.

Just so you know, the watch I have pictured above sold for $3.3k. So through all of my 'Bay trolling that's about what I notice them frequently going for. But you're right, condition is important. Always remember: buy the seller not the watch!

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! I have gotten hold of a picture of the actual 321 chrono in question (the original pic up the top was just for reference). The pushers on this one do appear to be smaller (and correct?). It's looking like if I did go through with the trade it would be more an emotional decision than a rational decision (especially based on the posts above!).
Edited:

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! I have gotten hold of a picture of the actual 321 chrono in question (the original pic up the top was just for reference). The pushers on this one do appear to be smaller (and correct?).
Are you able to get a picture of movement and serial, reference, etc?

I highly, highly recommend you get these pictures and post them here. I’ll help you out.

Also, don’t forget to reference the vintage database on the Omega website. We will all make sure that you are on the up and up if you decide on the trade!

Thank you for your advice!

I received some additional pics including one of the movement and can confirm the reference is 105.004

Thank you for your advice!

I received some additional pics including one of the movement and can confirm the reference is 105.004

Looks like a great watch with a clean movement. Obviously, ask the standard questions about service history, etc. I’ll be back in the morning!

I’m going to bed, but in the mean time, check this out:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-st-105-0004

That will get you pointed in the right direction. If you do get the watch try and get an extract!