Forums Latest Members
  1. USMCBASS Mar 24, 2017

I have been wanting a vintage Omega for years. While I was in the Marine Corps, a friend of mine was into watches and I have wanted one ever since. I happened upon this one today at an estate sale and was curious if anyone could tell me if it is a good buy. They are asking $575. I only took one picture which I have included. The crystal does have a little chip just above the 12 0'clock marker as seen in the picture. There is also a personal inscription on the back. Thanks in advance for your help on my possible first Omega.
    Semper Fi,
    Jon

IMG_0648.JPG
    Etp095 and semper_shells like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 24, 2017

To give you accurate information, we would need to see the movement and reference number, both inside the watch case. Oh, and better pictures.

3. alam Mar 24, 2017

based on the details you are providing, I think $575 is a bit to high - specially when you factor a new crystal + service costs. My offer would be $300-350 tops...

Etp095 likes this.
  4. USMCBASS Mar 24, 2017

Thanks for the responses. I'll hold off and keep my eyes open for a better price. Thanks again for saving me from overpaying.
    -Jon

alam likes this.
  5. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Mar 24, 2017

Might I suggest you keep an eye on the sales thread of this forum? The folks here are generally very good to deal with, along with being fair, knowledgeable and typically have an affinity for the brand

semper_shells likes this.
  6. USMCBASS Mar 24, 2017

Thanks Garv, just joined the forum today and will definitely watch the sales thread going forward. Thanks for the tip.
    -Jon

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2017

Best piece of advice I can give, take your time and build up your budget while reading threads about the watches that interest you, checking out the WRUW thread to see what catches your eye and be patient, the right watch will come around then and you'll be happy with it rather than getting something that'll do for now then wishing you'd held off for a better watch or deal.

8. semper_shells Mar 24, 2017

From one Marine to another. Semper Fi and welcome aboard. Lots of good info the learn hear and help you make better informed purchases. One of the hardest things that I have had to deal with is being more deliberate in my watch purchases. Not just buying because I have the money.

ahartfie likes this.
  9. USMCBASS Mar 24, 2017

Semper Fi,
    Thanks for the response. I will definitely be deliberate and am looking forward to learning from everyone on here.

As for your quote...
    "Not just buying because I have the money."
    ...sound like a good problem to have. Maybe one day I'll have that problem too!

10. semper_shells Mar 24, 2017

I
    Yes, I was referring to myself. I wasn't saying you were buying because you just had some money you were dying to spend. Believe me, I don't have that problem either. I meant it in the sense of saving up some money and just dying to buy something.

USMCBASS likes this.
  11. WatchWarlock Mar 24, 2017

The aging of the hands don't quite seem to match the rest of the dial/markers, and the crown looks like it might be an aftermarket replacement. As stated earlier, I think a 300 range is more in line.

12. USMCBASS Mar 24, 2017

Thanks WatchWarlock, I thought the same thing about the hands, but don't know enough to have noticed the crown. Glad I am a part of this forum now! Thanks.
    -Jon

13. nerd Mar 24, 2017

Just curious what is wrong about the crown. Would you expect to see more of a notched cloverleaf looking crown?

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 24, 2017

Yes, it should have a clover crown. $575 is not a steal, but at least the dial looks like it is in good condition.

USMCBASS and ConElPueblo like this.
  15. marturx Mar 25, 2017

Seems to he in excellent condition, which is not the usual state for these.

575$ is hardly overpaying it

USMCBASS and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2017

$475-500 I would have bought it. As two posts above have said the dial and condition are good.

Always work in a service in on price when picking up a vintage watch @USMCBASS

Better to overpay a bit for condition ;)

USMCBASS, ICONO and Davidt like this.
  17. ConElPueblo Mar 25, 2017

Have to agree here.

People wanting these for $200-350 will be waiting a looooong time for something this good looking to show up. Also, I bet that the "patina" of the hands are due to reflections.

Would be great to see the caseback :)

efauser and USMCBASS like this.