Forums Latest Members
  1. Jon_Dong Oct 26, 2016

I like the look of this watch and want something really big for a bit of a weekend watch.

I messaged the dealer and he said he would knock of 20% (never hurts to ask)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121988905793?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Is it actually a decent watch? The mechanism looks in good condition and I want something that I don't mind wearing when out on the town that isn't going to break the bank.

Yes, its coming from a dodgy part of the world which doesn't really concern me. Feedback appears good I don't mind a gamble.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 26, 2016

If you want big, get a Planet Ocean or a Ploprof.

3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Oct 26, 2016

When you say worth a punt I'm not certain what you mean?
    The ad clearly says it a custom built case, which houses a genuine omega movement, with a refinished dial, so you know what your buying.
    A collector would have little interest in this and any resale value as such is really in the movement, or selling to a non collector.

I don't know what a fair price for the watch is, but talk of a punt and gambling will not result in you coming out on top even with the 20% discount.

There is nothing wrong with buying the watch if you like it and it meets your needs. However I would personally avoid it and prefer to find a model or reference that is discussed on OF and where you can build up some knowledge and feel more comfortable before you buy.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 26, 2016

It never left the Omega facilities looking anywhere near that.
    It's a cal 265 movement with a modern printed dial in a modern steel case. AKA Franken.
    I would not buy it!

Jon_Dong likes this.
  5. Jon_Dong Oct 26, 2016

Too expensive i'm afraid. I've just bought a couple of vintage pieces so my budget is limited

6. Jon_Dong Oct 26, 2016

I have to be honest, I wouldn't really be buying it as an investment. I usually only stick to 1970s watches and have recently bought a few so money is tight. I really wanted to know if the movement was a good one and if the watch, despite it being a 'Franken' is a solid piece.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2016

I have to be honest, the watch is worth about $250.
    Why do you think the seller was so quick to knock off 20%
    Even at 20% off it is a big score for him relative to what little he has into it.
    Not a good buy.

8. Davidt Oct 26, 2016

If you like it and are comfortable with the price, buy it.

But It's a franken watch at best and is worth very little. No one can say if it's a solid piece given the fact that many of the major components are aftermarket.

If you're waiting for someone to validate it as a good purchase you'll probably be waiting a while.

9. Jon_Dong Oct 26, 2016

Not waiting for validation, just wanting some input. I can take it or leave it. Looks like I'll leave it

10. Jon_Dong Oct 26, 2016

Appreciated

terryb111 likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Oct 26, 2016

At that price level, I'd look elsewhere than Omega for something "big".