Forums Latest Members
  1. Y.Ilchev Jan 15, 2024

good afternoon all !
    I am new in this forum and i need your expertise.
    I am considering to buy this Zenith Captian , but before I do is good to know what I buy.
    I am trying to find more info about the model , but I came up with loth of different information
    So, thank you in advanced.
    image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

2. Dan S Jan 15, 2024

What information did you find and what do you want to know?

3. Y.Ilchev Jan 15, 2024

What I finding is - the model is form 70’s, but the owner claims is form 80’s. The cal. usually is 2542 , but on the picture is 2562 and there are difference on the dial , so it’s difficult for me to find what model , year …… .

4. Y.Ilchev Jan 15, 2024

Any information will be helpful for me!

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 15, 2024

6. Dan S Jan 15, 2024

A vintage Zenith Captain Chronometre with a "C-case" design is a distinctive and classic timepiece. The "C-case" refers to the shape of the watch case, which is characterized by its cushion-like, rounded square appearance. This style was particularly popular in the 1960s and 1970s, a period known for its bold and innovative watch designs.

Here are some key aspects and features you might find in a vintage C-case Zenith Captain Chronometre:

1. Design Era: The C-case style is emblematic of mid-20th-century watch design. Watches from this era often feature a mix of elegance and a more modern, sometimes bolder aesthetic compared to earlier designs.

2. Movement: The Captain Chronometre models are known for their precision, often featuring high-quality mechanical movements. Many of these would be automatic (self-winding), and as a chronometer, the watch would have been certified for its accuracy.

3. Dial and Hands: The dials on these watches are typically clean and functional, with clear hour markers and hands. The design is usually understated to emphasize readability and elegance.

4. Material and Build: Stainless steel is a common material for the case, although other materials like gold could also be used. The build quality of Zenith watches from this era is generally high.

5. Collectibility and Value: Vintage Zenith watches, especially those with unique features like a C-case and chronometer certification, can be quite collectible. Their value depends on factors like condition, rarity, originality (whether parts have been replaced or altered), and the specific history of the model.

6. Maintenance and Service: It's important to remember that vintage watches require special care and maintenance. If you own or are considering purchasing a vintage Zenith Captain Chronometre, regular servicing by a professional experienced with vintage watches is recommended to ensure its functionality and preservation.
    For specific information like the exact year of production, movement details, or the history of a particular model, having the model number or serial number is very helpful. Zenith's own records or a consultation with a watch expert specializing in vintage pieces can provide more detailed insights.

nitediver, Vitezi, Pahawi and 6 others like this.
  7. Y.Ilchev Jan 15, 2024

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your support.
    I am waiting for the serial number and I will share it.

8. Y.Ilchev Jan 15, 2024

Here you go

IMG_6124.jpeg
  9. Aroxx Sets his watch Jan 15, 2024

Welcome DanGPT

nitediver, OneTwo, Mark020 and 6 others like this.
  10. Dan S Jan 15, 2024

Somehow it seemed appropriate.

nitediver, Vitezi, OneTwo and 4 others like this.
  11. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Jan 15, 2024

That was a bit distopian creepy.

Vitezi and impalla62ss like this.
  12. Risto Jan 16, 2024

I checked with ChatGPT and it doesn't know anything about vintage Zeniths! Suggested me to check with experts and factory :)

Y.Ilchev likes this.
  13. CaptainWinsor Jan 16, 2024

The D in the case number would put this in the late 1960s. Zenith used A B C and D in the case numbers. You can find the approximate years online. If I remember correctly, they dropped the letters about 1970

HamDoctor and Y.Ilchev like this.
  14. Y.Ilchev Jan 17, 2024

Thank you