Forums Latest Members

Goldilocks when it comes to sizing

1. maine-iac1 Jun 18, 2018

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and am preparing for a purchase, probably a PO or Diver. I'm looking something a bit understated in the sizing department. I measured my watches and all run in the 38 to 40 mm size range, and I recently tried on a 1968 Rolex Explorer (36mm !!) and felt that it had decent proportions. Anyway, I have my eye on the Seamaster Driver (41 mm) and the Planet Ocean (39.5). Any thoughts on which one wears smaller, from anyone who has both? I've tried on both but am interested in others' opinions.

2. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2018

I like cantaloupe and watermelon mixed together.

Kmart, Riviera Paradise, Mtek and 2 others like this.
  3. jimmyd13 Jun 18, 2018

You're the only one who can decide what fits well. Recently I've tried on a PO that just felt too big and a PloProf that felt perfect on my wrist. I'm sure there's a perfectly good scientific reason involving lots of complex equations about ratios of case dimensions, weight and bracelets ... but just go with what you're happy with.

4. Meme-Dweller Jun 18, 2018

The 39.5mm has better proportions but is thick. If you think the 36mm Explorer is the type of proportion you desire, neither of these watches will do. Modern divers are very unrefined in comparison for daily wear. If it must be a diver, I'd recommend the new 2018 36mm Oris Sixty-Five.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. maine-iac1 Jun 19, 2018

Thanks, I know that it ultimately comes down to gut feeling when it comes to size, weight, proportions, etc. I've already tried them both, and will be trying them again soon from an AD. That said, I'm interested in others' views, if this hasn't already been beaten to death. Still wondering if anyone on this forum owns both? I guess it's unlikely, but possible.

6. cimo Jun 19, 2018

I'm a little confused by your question. A 36mm Explorer is to a Porsche what those other divers are to a Land Rover.

In other words, if you like apples why shop for an orange?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 19, 2018

Depends on your wrist and the proportion of the watch. There are 42mm watches that are too big on me and I can wear easily a 45.5 3313 POC.

I’ve got 3 42mm watches in rotation and all wear differently due to dial/bezel proportions. Lug width and lug to lug distance.

My 39mm speedy date seems small but I wear 36mm vintage pieces all the time.

You need to try them on.

8. maine-iac1 Jun 19, 2018

yeah, the 1968 explorer is awesome but not exactly what I'm looking for. I mentioned it only to underscore that i like vintage, aka smaller, sizing... i could probably live with the explorer even though it's smallish but the sweet spot for me is the 38mm to 40mm range.

9. Mtek Jun 19, 2018

If this is the sweetspot for you then get something this range bud, it isn’t that hard. Only someone with your taste and size wrist will be able to advise you.

I’m 6’5 and have a 7.65 inch wrist, my sweetspot is 42mm. We are all different.

10. Riviera Paradise Jun 19, 2018

OP....is this your photo? Do you only accept Bear hugs?
    womens-goldilocks-costume.jpg

11. maine-iac1 Jun 19, 2018

Yeah, on a good day that's about right. lol