Forums Latest Members

Golden Opportunity...Omega needs to be more like Rolex!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taximoney11 Jun 12, 2021

While walking through SCP Rolex this past week, they literally had NOTHING in stock, entire store empty! While Omega store next door is fairly well stocked. As a Rolex fan I am now looking at all other brands including Omega which I am also a fan of interest but not buyer(before that is). The reasons I love Relex are many, quite simply their watches are absolutely gorgeous, finishing is so stunning, even the steel models shine like a diamond. I often commented to my friends that one can spot a real Rolex from across the room at a gathering. Their simple but iconic design, beautifully tampered bracelet, polishing, heft of the 904L steel and the sound these bracelet makes when touched. Everything on a Rolex screams quality in design and build. Same can be said about Omega, as matter of fact Omega goes out of their way to please the customers by offering many models in many configurations and in every color and special edition imaginable, it's overwhelming all while Rolex seems to be completely insensitive to customer needs and feelings.

Omega has rare opportunity semi post pandemic, due to shortages, Rolex will at the very least in the next 6 to 12 months have little or no products to sell, the popular sports models for sure. Omega needs to take a long and hard look at their product line up, simplify and refine their watches, meet Rolex on design front, I say this because there is a good reason why Rolex watches are highly sought after and kept their value while Omega is not, sorry to say. Omega often offers better movement with same iconic design, along with brand recognition and brand history, but Omega do not sell the same way Rolex is. I believe this can be addressed, why not offer the buyer the same thing they see in Rolex watches?

The public who buy watches see Rolex design as a standard which all others are compared to. If they can't get a new Rolex, like myself they will consider an Omega. But if Omega does not offer the same design cues down to very small details then buyers may balk. For example, Rolex offer Cyclops on their sports watches, while Omega does not, and only recently Omega begin to bring ceramic bezels into their watches. Rolex has amazing thin and tapered bracelet that are both simple yet elegant, while Omega still offers a large number of their bracelet in bulky wide design with clunky double deployment opening. My opinion of course. The fact is Omega surpasses Rolex in many ways and offer superior value for the money, my only wish is they step up their game, offer a true alternative to Rolex with comparable products in a highly refined way. Could just be change of perception through marketing and slight product modification to better match Rolex's products, perhaps.

Your thoughts? Or am I crazy?

2. tyrantlizardrex Jun 12, 2021

Yeah. No.

Ree, whiteibex, night0wl and 8 others like this.
  3. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jun 12, 2021

I heared ‚golden‘ !?! :cool:

1933D84D-D4DF-4AD2-AA51-33BFE3073927.jpeg

rhr321, noelekal, 8100_RPM and 5 others like this.
  4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jun 12, 2021

Yawn ::facepalm1::

whiteibex and DSotW like this.
  5. Lurk41 Jun 12, 2021

Why someone would want Omega to lessen its game?

DoctorEvil likes this.
  6. Zapatta Jun 12, 2021

So you want Omega to be more like Rolex because you can't afford Rolex?

Caliber561, 8100_RPM, DSotW and 3 others like this.
  7. Mac-427 Jun 12, 2021

My Seamaster 300M is superior to the Rolex Submariner in terms of fit and finish, time keeping and value. That's why I switched and dumped my Rolex watches.

3rdstringholder and DSotW like this.
  8. DoctorEvil Jun 12, 2021

I'll give credit where credit is due and say that yes, Rolex does have some beautiful and iconic watch designs. But so does Omega. And why should Omega imitate Rolex design cues? Omega design cues are what makes an Omega an Omega. Those who deep down really want a Rolex aren't going to switch to an Omega just because it looks like a Rolex, because it doesn't have that little crown on the dial.

So no, I definitely do NOT want Omega to be like Rolex.

Stripey, noelekal, Caliber561 and 6 others like this.
  9. f3dbca Jun 12, 2021

Only if Omega were to make the changes you spoke about would they not offer an alternative. The fact they would need to make all of those changes by definition means they are an alternative.

I feel this is a bit like saying Nike needs to change their shoes to be more like Adidas. They both have successful and proven designs in their own right. I don’t think homogeneity between brands is particularly interesting to consumers.

noelekal likes this.
  10. WhiteThorn Jun 12, 2021

Cyclops are horrid. The submariner no date is the only sub I like and they only offer it in black.
    The 300M or planet ocean are much better divers watches. I opted for the 300M as the planet ocean is just too big for my wrist and I don’t like diving more than 40M anyways..

Stripey and noelekal like this.
  11. WhiteThorn Jun 12, 2021

Rolex don’t make better watches, they have better marketing.

PATRICK JP and flw like this.
  12. Caesar95 Jun 12, 2021

So long Omega remains under the current management of the Swatch Group, it will never ever come anywhere close to Rolex.

13. stevec14 Jun 12, 2021

Why would omega want to sell Rolex homages. Doesn’t make any sense to me. If you like Rolex, buy Rolex. If you like omega, buy omega.

I don’t think the finishing is much different btw. Many are brainwashed on TRF to believe they are wearing something that’s levels above others, but in reality they are produced in the same mass produce way.

PATRICK JP, Stripey, Abho and 2 others like this.
  14. WhiteThorn Jun 12, 2021

Close to Rolex in what way?

3rdstringholder and DSotW like this.
  15. WhiteThorn Jun 12, 2021

Interestingly rolex have a greater turnover than Omega but sell less watches than Omega.

I believe in marketing it is considered that most companies quality is judged around their entry level product.

Omega have a more affordable range, entry level is lower than Rolex. Therefore people see Rolex as more prestigious.

Abho likes this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Jun 12, 2021

Do they?

I've never seen a irrefutable source for any information about either companies revenue or productions numbers.

As @Donn Chambers said in another thread:

17. dstfno Jun 12, 2021

Funny enough, the 300M which is one of Omega's most popular models was the continuation of the Seamaster 200M which was nothing more than a Submariner homage. Some versions even had mercedes hour hands (dark times...). That legacy is still the current model which has the same hour indices and seconds hand.

[​IMG]
    Personally for me, a Seamaster that carries the Omega design from the glory days is one with arrow or swords hands and the triangle or thick hour markers.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  18. dstfno Jun 12, 2021

It seems you've been spending too much time on the Rolex forums. Do you actually own a Rolex? They're very very good watches but also not the godmade holy relics that most people make them out to be.

19. scubafan Jun 12, 2021

IMHO is very simple:
    Omega needs people buy their watches .
    People need Rolex sell them their watches.

Taximoney11 likes this.
  20. chadeaux Jun 12, 2021

Omega needs to meet Rolex on the design front?!

Have you seen the new Rolex releases? They are probably the most boring ever.
    GMT on oyster, woah!
    The “new Explorer”, what a novelty!
    Palm fronds dial, OMG I gotta have that now!

Have you seen the recent Omega releases?
    Pushing on innovation and strengthening of the brand.
    The new 321, real stunner and another level.
    The Snoopy 50th, basically one of the hottest releases on the market. When you enter somewhere that is the watch you gonna spot from distance. Because it’s unique and innovative.
    The new Bond, that had record sales during the pandemic.
    The new Speedy with the updated movement and very nice bracelet.

Omega is playing very very well and the leadership is carefully paying attention to the customers.
    Why should copy Rolex?

if you like Rolex get Rolex!
    Omega has a pretty strong identity and history. No need to copy anything.

SSGMT, DoctorEvil, pdxleaf and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.