Forums Latest Members
  1. Bobby Jones Jun 19, 2018

Hi, I have come across this old sea master,1964 etched on the back.
    There is a bit of patina on the dial but I find the gold edging different to other steel ones I have seen.
    Is this dial correct with a steel case and it is for sale for £200, is that a fair price ?
    [​IMG]

2. thatonewatchdude Jun 19, 2018

Do you have access to more photos? such as the movement, caseback, and overall case photos as well. Till then the community can fully supply you with the information you need.

cheers,

Bobby Jones likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2018

The "gold edging" you refer to is the crystal retaining ring, and it's easily replaced with a correct steel version. The hands and markers (we call dial furniture) are correct in either steel or gold color for that watch.

The watch is rough, but if the movement is good and there's no sign of water / moisture inside you'd be doing okay at £200 / $264 for it. I think you should wait for a specimen in better shape though, but be prepared to pay at least twice that as the condition gets better & better.

Bobby Jones and thatonewatchdude like this.
  4. doog Jun 19, 2018

1964 engraved on the caseback? With the coat hanger S and drop r on the Seamaster logo I think it may be a couple of years earlier than that. The transition to the later logo did occur in the early 60’s though so the dial may have hung around in the factory and been used out of sequence. Case looks like a 165.010 but the crown looks a little chunky for that reference. Some of the patina on the dial may be old lume that’s flaked off,which could be dealt with when the tension ring is replaced.

Bobby Jones likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2018

Just because it was manufactured in the early 60's doesn't mean it was shipped right away or sold right away. ;)

6. Edward53 Jun 20, 2018

I wouldn't buy that. The price is low but there's water damage to the dial edge which means water has at some stage got into the movement. It's a manual which for the Seamaster line is less desirable than an automatic, the crown is a replacement and as you've noticed the tension ring is the wrong colour. Just about worth it perhaps if all correct with a clean movement and you didn't mind some spotting on the dial, but not a bargain after paying to get everything fixed. As already mentioned, wisest to resist temptation and hold out for something better.

Bobby Jones likes this.
  7. Bobby Jones Jun 20, 2018

Thanks everyone, I will leave that watch with the dealer. It has been at a local car boot type fair for a few weeks now.
    However, this was there, rather large, bronze and asking £500[​IMG]

8. marco Jun 20, 2018

Might be a little heavy on the wrist ?
    Make a nice sun dial though !

Bobby Jones likes this.