Forums Latest Members
  1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2018

Hi Guys

I was lucky enough to buy this from the seller who posted it here about 10 days ago,...

It does have the sapphire crystal so it it a Marine Deluxe . I also noticed on the gold models the movement is jeweled up to 17 j as opposed to a steel version which is 15j.

back.jpg crown.jpg dial.jpg insidebk.jpg mov.jpg other.jpg S20180127_001.jpg S20180127_003.jpg

Here is a Marine STD with the "hi beat" 17.8R notice its a 15j version.... ( from Ebay)
    back.jpg back2.jpg back3.jpg band.jpg dial.jpg dial2.jpg dial3.jpg insidebk.jpg mov1.jpg parts1.jpg

Also here is an example with the the earlier T17....... from Omega Designs . Plus catalog pages showing the earlier versions...
    IMG-7935.JPG IMG-7936.JPG IMG-7937.JPG IMG-7938.JPG IMG-7939.JPG
    FYI: sorry about not croping the info on the R17.8 all data pertianing to the movement is below the image of the movement.

Its interesting that the catalog shows the later ref 3637 listing it being powered by the T17 ..... I have not come across a CK3637 with a T17 ...... only with the 17.8R and the T17 i always see in the CK 3635.

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

khmt2, Tire-comedon, gemini4 and 12 others like this.
  2. Dr No Feb 1, 2018

Omega's R17.8 / 302 movement family has to be one of the most underrated by collectors. If memory serves correct, it was one of the first, if not first, 3 Hz production movements from any manufacturer. Mine runs spectacularly well.

DSC00035.jpg DSC00047.JPG

Not nearly as interesting as yours from a collectors standpoint, but a personal favorite nevertheless. Love the way it wears on my wrist.

Art

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 2, 2018

^^^ lift angle should be 54 degrees...

Cheers, Al

4. Dr No Feb 2, 2018

I'll have it checked at 54º lift angle Monday.

:thumbsup:

Edited Feb 2, 2018
  5. Vitezi Feb 2, 2018

Very nice @Bill Sohne !
    I vaguely recall you have/had a Tissot version of the Marine as well. Any pictures of that one for comparison?

6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2018

Got a look for it. It's a aquasport !

Oh FYI , I was wearing the 14k marine and the crystal popped out and broke! So where the heck do I find a replacement ?

Augh

Bill

7. Vitezi Feb 2, 2018

Supposedly the Aquasport version has a crystal that was press-fit into place, for watertightness. Don't crack that one!

8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 6, 2018

Hi,
    Ouch, I feel the pain for you. Hope you'll find a solution for a relacement.
    Don't have a gold one but two in stainless steel that say hello :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plus a scan from a 1940 catalog
    [​IMG]
    And another one from 1943 :
    [​IMG]

Rman, tamura, Dr No and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 6, 2018

For me 3635 and 3637 are two variants of the T17 with the same case but different crystal (unbreakable for 3635 and saphire for 3637). The second model of Marine standard (same csae as yours) is a ref 3683 acording to my documentation, with unbreakable (i.e. non saphire?) crystal.

10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 6, 2018

Nice 3697 :
    [​IMG]
    Mine has a stained dial but says hello too :
    [​IMG]

Dr No and Vitezi like this.
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2018

Hmmmm. Interesting

Will do more research

Thanks

Bill

12. Dr No Feb 6, 2018

Thanks very much for posting that catalog entry! I wasn't aware of the reference number until just now.

Besides our two, I've seen one other, on eBay a few years back. Black dial with Romans at the cardinal points, and at a very low price, I might add. The case was damaged, though, so I decided to pass as it would've cost a bundle to restore.

Gratefully,

Art

13. Dr No Feb 13, 2018

DSC00761.jpg DSC00760.jpg
    Apparently, Al, my local watchmaker's software derives lift angle - it can't be entered independently.

Four years after restaffing the balance, amplitude and beat error were almost identical, but it was running -55 seconds / day. This reading was taken after a minor adjustment to the regulator.

Best,

Art

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2018

Hi Art,

To the best of my knowledge there's no such thing as a timing machine that automatically detects lift angle - I don't believe it is possible to detect it. I see your watchmaker is using the Delph Electronics system, so I went onto their web site and was able to quickly find the image of the setting menu where the lift angle is set. If he goes into the setting menu there is a spot where the lift angle can be adjusted by clicking either + or - arrows, as shown below:

[​IMG]

He may not know where these settings are, but they are there. Note that most timing machines default to a 52 degree lift angle, and if your watchmaker services a lot of Rolex watches for example, he may not need to change it very often as many Rolex movements have a 52 degree lift angle. But outside of Rolex it's not as common, so if he is leaving the lift angle at 52 all the time the amplitude readings he is getting won't be accurate. In some cases this can mean a large error, as lift angles can be much lower than 52, and in some cases higher (lower is more common though). Each error in lift angle represents about a 6 degree error in balance amplitude (not a hard and fast rule, just an approximation), so your watch has a higher lift angle than what is shown by approx. 12 degrees or so. For other watches the error is much more significant, so for example a Cal. 321 chronograph movement has a lift angle of 40 degrees, so setting the machine to 52 would create a very large error.

Cheers, Al

Dr No likes this.
  15. Dr No Feb 13, 2018

Sad to say, he's probably aware of the setting option . . . at least, vaguely.

Our next sit-down will be interesting, to say the least. He's serviced many for me in the past, and there's more than a few where the timing results on his machine don't match up with my experience.

Gratefully,

Art