Forums Latest Members

Gold cases, Spring bars and servicing

1. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Sep 10, 2016

Having taken ownership of a lovely Longines ultra chron, I was hoping to get some advice on bands. I'm sure I read somewhere that Spring bars can damage the case. If so, is there a better alternative?

Also, having never owned a vintage watch, I'm keen to make sure it's treated well and I was hoping for some recommendations on where to get it serviced (I'm in the UK)...

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks in advance

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 10, 2016

Spring bars will not damage the case. An inexperienced person trying to take out or put in spring bars will or at least can.

As long as you follow certain precautions, you'll be fine.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 10, 2016

What you probably read is that the old-style Twist-o-flex bands with adjustable metal sleeves surrounding the spring bars will damage watch cases. This is true.

Regular spring bars with a leather watchband should be fine, so long as you know what you are doing with a proper tool. Otherwise, any decent watchmaker can replace the band in about two minutes, if that.

If this is now yours, you'll be OK.

[​IMG]
    gatorcpa

4. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Sep 10, 2016

Thanks for the responses. I get it - it's not the use of spring bars themselves, it's the taking them in and out. I think you're right @gatorcpa - I was reading some comments on another watch that someone had posted and one of the comments read along the lines of get that strap off the watch asap.

And yes, it is indeed the watch you've posted above - genuinely, it looks awesome! I've already bought a dark brown band. I think I've mentioned a few times, but it's for my dad. I've also bought a (modern) Longines matchbox and I'm having a brass plaque engraved to place on the inside. I think he's going to be thrilled!