Forums Latest Members

Going away on holiday is a PITA...........

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 18, 2018

Especially when I have to pack all of my babies up and lock them in a dark safe.

:(

9C81B049-183B-4382-BC32-7F0F80CF589E.jpeg

amiriqbal, Risto, George.A and 22 others like this.
  2. dantheman3u4i Dec 18, 2018

I am in the same boat!

3. queriver Dec 19, 2018

Oh, 1st world problem if ever there was one. ::love::

4. lillatroll Dec 19, 2018

Where are you headed?, anywhere nice?

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 19, 2018

Headed to the spiritual and literal home of ΩF, Brisvegas, Quinsland, Orstralya.

rob#1, lillatroll and STANDY like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2018

Same thing every cyclone season Jim.

Think I might go back to pelican case with a brick and a few of these in the bottom of the pool
    9DCA3735-CA43-4EB7-9B81-1637DE677997.jpeg
    after the bank raised the storage fees AGAIN.

So close but still so far.......

Edited Dec 19, 2018
  7. makaria indica Dec 19, 2018

Commiserations.
    I will offer up a wee prayer you dont have to drink XXXX

Edward53, Darlinboy and JimInOz like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 19, 2018

As this is a religious pilgrimage is it tax deductible :thumbsup:
    brisbane_st_john_cathedral.jpg

Vitezi likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2018

I’m re thinking holiday storage ... bought these so I can fit the collection into my narrow bank box.
    8423D2FF-8B14-4CC0-B3D6-3D87AC6FBCC0.jpeg

MMMD and red crowned like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2018

Hope you going to place them in something before you put them in the plastic.

Thread a fair way back about these not being the best or any plastic sitting on the watches while storing.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2018

Hmmm ...Will get some lens cloths too.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2018

13. Wryfox Dec 19, 2018

Being one of the resident gun aficionados on OF, I can tell you in the gun world any closed container is extremely dangerous to metallic objects, even with moisture absorbing materials. The biggest reason is that the padding and foam materials are not absolutely dry in the first place, and now your sealing off those contents plus whatever you put in it, including moisture bearing air. Second, as mentioned above, the padding and foams are synthetic and have lighter elements that vapor off over time, especially in warmer climates. In this case, it will happen inside the container. Pelican style containers and such are primarily transport cases, not storage cases, and should be treated as such.

The BEST option for storing guns or watches is a fire&security safe, big enough for everything and heavy enough not to move. Many would be surprised to find that safes are not airtight, and are designed that way in order for airflow to keep everything nice and stable. Many safe owners use a specially designed heater stick to ensure the internal temp is a few degrees above ambient to prevent condensing moisture.

Banker boxes are good only if there is a/c in the bank on off hours, and in the vault AS WELL. Many banks do NOT have forced air through the vault, or only have airflow during open vault hours. Otherwise, you are subject to whatever environment occurs when the bank is closed.

Again, using guns as an example, I literally cannot count how many times over the years I have seen damaged finish and rusty guns come out of gun cases and bank boxes. If you have big $ in watches, as it appears in the example above, a safe is a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive investment.

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 19, 2018

You leave them out? Sounds like child abuse. Well anyway, business friend, had burglar enter his house while he was asleep and steal a lot of watches, guns, jewelry.
    Told him he should have a dog.

queriver likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2018

@Wryfox while I do get your security aspect of safes ( Not that good for cyclones )

There is nothing better than a pelican case for storage in tropical weather or desert like conditions.

If you ever saw how many the worlds military used for storage :eek::eek:

The professional series is nothing like the older stuff.

Been using pelican cases for over 20 years and still have some that are 20 years old and have never had a issue.

16. Wryfox Dec 19, 2018

Against damage, yes. They are incredibly tough and agree they are best for that purpose. I've spent the last 20 yrs in industry shipping products in pelican cases. They are primarily designed for transport. My point is that you can't see the environment your sealing in.

A most dreadful recent case....my FIL asked me to appraise his firearm collection. Due to his age I had to retrieve them from his closets and shelves myself. ALL of them were in cases (some pelican cases included), and unfortunately ALL of them(15 in all) were ruined from corrosion. Moisture had been trapped inside before he closed them years ago and relentlessly did their work since then. Terrible shame but he never knew there was moisture in there to start with. It takes very very little water vapor to do its thing over time. I frequently do appraisals and see this all the time.

Therefore I would NEVER store something as valuable and finely precise as vintage watches in a pelican style case.

KingCrouchy and queriver like this.
  17. Muddlerminnow Dec 19, 2018

It's like this with vintage bamboo fly rods, which are typically stored in air-tight aluminum tubes. The trick this to leave the caps loose, so that humidity levels are the same as ambient room levels. Some guys I know drill holes in the caps. I've been doing this for 40 years, without problems. But like Wryfox says, if the container--any container--is airtight, you have a potential big problem brewing. I know a guy who put away a rod that was damp--forgot about it--and everything in the tube turned into one stinking moldy mess.

Of course, fly rods don;t have the cachet of guns and watches when it comes to being stolen--so I leave them at home in a storage rack when I go away. If somebody breaks in the house, they'll take the computer before they'll take the fly rods.

18. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 19, 2018

Why not just send one watch to each OF member with 1000+ post for safe keeping till you get back.

sxl2004 likes this.
  19. kkt Dec 19, 2018

What a great idea!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. philh Dec 20, 2018

Slightly off topic but this reminds me of the days when as a young man I Iooked after the safe custody in a Bank.
    One of the accounts was called "The cock, ball, nipple and touch hole society" which had me imagining all sorts of sordid paraphernalia being locked in the box until one day a rather serious and elderly man came in to remove some items from said box and he explained to me that they were a gun club that collected old muskets. These are apparently all terms relating to muskets which left me some what disappointed.

RevZMan123, Muddlerminnow and Wryfox like this.