Forums Latest Members
  1. cfinley Feb 11, 2021

Hi all, I've lurked for a while but not posted before. I've been daily driving a speedy for a few years but I'm looking to get a birth year GMT this year for my 30th. I'm not sure how folks here feel about Bob's watches, but they currently have a 1991 GMT 16700 that I'm really digging and could use some help from you guys. Everything looks correct to me, but I'm concerned about some polish on the lugs. I'd really appreciate some help!

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-gmt-master-16700-pepsi-with-steel-jubilee-band.html

Thanks all!

Dor_42 likes this.
  2. ATWG Feb 11, 2021

Hello and welcome to the forum.

From what I can see, the dial is appropriate for the mentioned reference. The case has clearly been polished, which is evident by looking at the lug holes. The coronet on the bracelet clasp has almost been polished away which is not to my liking. Lastly, I can't tell if the bracelet has the proper 50/550 or 50/502T endlinks which is critical in terms of fit and value.

All in all, not something I would pickup at that price point. The case is a non-starter for me.

Dan S likes this.
  3. cfinley Feb 11, 2021

Thanks ATWG!! I appreciate your input. I didn't consider the end links. Thanks for the heads up

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2021

In your case I would look for a 16710 in good condition for about 10k

try contacting one of the guys on the pro watches for sale forum (watches for sale) here and tell them what you are looking for.
    There a few regular posters there that specialize in things like Rolex Gmts.

Dan S likes this.
  5. Jonathan40 Feb 11, 2021

There is another way to look at this.
    It’s a Rolex sports model, they have one you want one.
    If you have no intentions of ever selling a special to you watch and it fits your bill buy it.
    If you want a prefect unpolished example, which you don’t because you’ve more than looked at this from BOb’s watches you’ve posted a comment here so don’t worry about the comments and buy and enjoy the watch you seek.
    As I say, if you want an unpolished example be prepared to pay much more money for a fine example.
    Great watches regardless of a little over polishing on this example so if your keeping it check things match up, papers, serial number and bracelet clasp code and I find they do, ask for a little discount and buy it.
    I can’t tell you how great these are on the wrist, so versatile with straps, bracelets and nato’s.
    Happy birthday by the way when it comes.
    Hadn’t followed your link, if you can get it for 11k and all the above rings true then enjoy, 12.5k is high. But they have overheads to pay and you can return it for a refund if your not happy.

Edited Feb 11, 2021
    nzshadow likes this.
  6. ATWG Feb 11, 2021

Also try: https://www.hqmilton.com/

They always have a good selection of GMT's, be patient and you'll find one in that price range in better condition and with box & papers.

7. cfinley Feb 11, 2021

8. Dan S Feb 11, 2021

I keep looking, but Bob's generally doesn't tend to put top notch examples on their website. I have a feeling that they have a different way to sell their best pieces.

mzinski and watch3s like this.
  9. Rado63 Feb 15, 2021

Not enough photos on the Bobs website to see the chamfers and lug holes. Maybe the photo, but the right side lug looks asymetric to the left lug, area of the 2. Again probably the angle of the photo.

10. mzinski Feb 15, 2021

Do share.

11. IDXM Feb 15, 2021

I suggest you also look at Fog City Vintage and Tropical Watch. Their pictures are decent enough to actually make an evaluation, the stock rotates quickly so you'll find something interesting sooner than later, and the prices look "reasonable" given the times.

Good luck!

https://www.fogcityvintage.com/

https://tropicalwatch.com/

12. cfinley Feb 15, 2021

13. cfinley Feb 15, 2021

Thank you! I'll check these sites

14. 1969UK Feb 15, 2021

Same for me, it's been over polished. The pins should sit well below the case, always a telltale sign when they sit flush or just slightly below

15. cfinley Feb 15, 2021

Thank you! I appreciate your input.

16. Mattibro26 Feb 15, 2021

Hi, good thirty years!! I'm also from 1991.

In my opinion, you can find a better 16700 than these you link in this trade. Focuses on the quality, it always pay.

Other members suggested you really good dealer!

Best!

17. Bakertime Feb 16, 2021

Agree with the above message. Note that as you “hunt” your eye will start to become trained to identify the case condition you will be happy with. When you see the example you will know, then can seek further validation here. Also, decide if a jubilee or oyster bracelet will suit you best. Good luck