Forums Latest Members
  1. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

Today, I has been offered a GMT master 16710, coke bezel. The seller said he bought it 25 years ago , and the watch has been on the drawer for 10 years now because it has stopped working at that time and he never get it serviced.

Sadly there are no pictures of serial number between the lug.

Im completely new guy in the vintage rolex world, so it would be really appreciated if having some help from experts here.

Thanks,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jul 1, 2017
  2. sky21 Jun 26, 2017

While the watch does look correct from the pictures listed, if it were me about to spend $5k I would certainly want to verify all aspects of the watch. If you want a photo of the serial number, which you absolutely should get, then don't buy it without one. There are lots of these for sale, don't rush into something without being certain. A "drawer find" of a 1990 16710 is nice quite on the same level as a "drawer find" of a 1960 1675. Keep looking if the seller won't cooperate with you, especially since he has admitted that the watch doesn't even run.

watch3s, blufinz52 and kingcesc like this.
  3. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

thanks sky21. I did ask the seller providing the serial number pics where is between the lug, but he gave up because he had no idea how to remove the bracelet without a spring bar tool :D

4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jun 26, 2017

I think it would be a worthwhile consideration. These models are rising in price steadily.. See if you can get a couple/few hundred down on the price to help pay for a service and you may be pleased with the outcome.

You are getting involved with a watch that you know will need a service, so your total investment at the end of the day will be around $5,800. Obviously from the look, it was maintained. At the end of the day, if you send this watch to Rolex for service, you will not recognize it when it returns. Hopefully there is nothing major wrong with the movement and just needs an overhaul.

In looking at the 5th picture down, appears a partial part of the green sticker is still on the caseback.

The other option, spend about $1-1,500 more on a worryless watch and there will be no surprises..

blufinz52 and kingcesc like this.
  5. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

Thanks @TTG
    Yeah, I am considering it very seriously now, since 5000$ (plus service price) means huge to me, never purchased that much for watch before, So I think keeping the price as less as it can be would be good.
    Do you see any possibility which the watch is wrong on something (dial, text, bezel, crown,...) without knowing the serial number.
    Yeah, the green sticker is still on the case back -> does it mean something? I have no idea :D
    The bracelet is 78360 and the claps code is R6.
    Kind regards,
    2.jpg
    P6213748.JPG

Edited Jun 26, 2017
  6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jun 26, 2017

Don't spend more than you can afford.
    An "R" clasp code denotes an approximately year production of 1993, if original to the watch, which I would not doubt.
    So once you get to verify serial, it would be an "S" or "W" serial...
    Nothing jumps out to be wrong, I think it is ALL original.
    Green sticker in the back means that after nearly 25 years, it is present, never removed cleaned out.. and it is most likely an untouched case.. Scars of love..

Edited Jun 26, 2017
    kingcesc likes this.
  7. omegasaso12 Jun 26, 2017

If there are maybe box and papers included I would buy this no question asked. No box and papers......would take it but would try to negotiate little better price.

watch3s likes this.
  8. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

@TTG Thank you for your information :)

9. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

@omegasaso12, The watch comes with box, but the seller said he doesn't remember where are the papers. Would you pull the trigger :)

10. omegasaso12 Jun 26, 2017

considering todays market I would take it.

watch3s and kingcesc like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 26, 2017

Not if the watch is not running as it will cost you some and more to fix. So I would say 5k minus the service.....somewhere around 4200 ( if you're lucky)

On that respect I would take it to a local watch Smith to open and assess first

5k is a lot for a Rolex paperweight.

12. sensui Jun 26, 2017

It's hard to tell from the pics, but the watch seems to have been polished to me looking at that one lug shot...rounded chamfers. I don't think it's a spectacular find knowing it doesn't run...best is to verify in person with a watchmaker to see inside imo.

watch3s and djmusicman like this.
  13. ATWG Jun 26, 2017

It's an untouched case with Tritium dial and hands, which makes the watch some what more desirable among the collector community. I would not shy away from this watch at all, like said by many others above, take service into consideration and you'll have a lovely ORIGINAL GMT in your hands.

Just don't let anyone i) polish the case ii) peel off the green sticker in the case back.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Larry S, kingcesc and blufinz52 like this.
  14. WatchVaultNYC Jun 26, 2017

If legit, it's a good price

watch3s and kingcesc like this.
  15. djmusicman Jun 26, 2017

The pictures aren't great but the case looks polished to me, look at the crown guards. I'd save a bit more and go for a matte dial 1675. Not really a fair comparison but here is a pic of one of my favourites.

rolex gmt faded insert.jpg
    George.A, sensui and kingcesc like this.
  16. kingcesc Jun 26, 2017

@djmusicman I would love the 1675 too, but it is out of my range, its a way too far from 5k$. It got me confused because some of you saw it having been polished, some dont :D
    @ATWG thanks you, Im considering now and definitely updating picture if I decide to buy it.

I think im gonna meet the seller in person this weekend, and see the watch. Any recommendation which i should ask the seller? Because he doesn't seem a watch geek guy.

17. ATWG Jun 26, 2017

It would be best if you meet at a reputable watchmaker who can open the watch and give you an honest assessment on the spot. It might cost you a few bucks, but it's well worth the effort. I'd want to see the reference numbers in between the lugs and inside the movement to make sure it has not been tampered with.

kingcesc likes this.
  18. kingcesc Jun 30, 2017

I picked up the watch yesterday, it looks better in flesh than I expected [​IMG]. Sorry for non-macro pictures, just took it by my cell-phone [​IMG]
    If the watch has never polished before, I think I am the first one taking-off the bracelet. There is full of dirt between the lugs and the endlink, no scratch between the lugs as well.
    Going to go to a watch-maker tomorrow to have it checked and probably serviced.
    p/s: I got a mistake of the currency exchange. I paid 500.000 JPY for it which is roughly 4500$. Unfortunately, the owner didn't find out the box.

Thank you guyz, you helped me pulling out the trigger [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George.A, GregH, CPRwatch and 4 others like this.
  19. jud Jun 30, 2017

Good score.

20. Don Bocadillo Jun 30, 2017

My F serial says hi! You will love it, One of the most versatile Rolex sport watches ever made. And so useful when traveling!

IMG_2247.JPG

George.A and kingcesc like this.