Forums Latest Members

Glycine Airman knowledge sought

1. Observer I know nothing! Jun 24, 2019

Just brought this home. The lower crown and associated piece is missing, and I don't see them listed for sale on ebay. I'm hoping it's not hard to find, but I won't be surprised if it is. It looks like it's just a screw and wouldn't extend inside the case, so it seems like it's not a danger to the inside of the watch. Please let me know if my assumption is in error. The lower crown keeps the bezel from turning, but the bezel doesn't turn right now and I don't want to force it. At least it's stuck in the neutral position. DSC_8933.jpg DSC_8938.jpg DSC_8939.jpg DSC_8949.jpg DSC_8953.jpg Any advice is welcome. I guess I found a good candidate for my first WTB post.

noelekal, Mark020, bardamu and 2 others like this.
  2. Vitezi Jun 24, 2019

3. henrikaa Jun 24, 2019

That is a nice looking dial with a great lume! You can possibly go to your local Glycine AD. They can possibly help you.

4. Tubber Jun 24, 2019

:thumbsup: PM sent.

Vitezi and Observer like this.
  5. Observer I know nothing! Jun 24, 2019

Thanks!

6. CaptainWinsor Jun 24, 2019

There’s a Glycine AD? What is this, 1940

7. redpcar Jun 24, 2019

Glycine AD = Invicta :eek:

Waltesefalcon, Taybharr and Professor like this.
  8. Dan S Jun 24, 2019

Edited Jun 24, 2019
    tmw57, cvalue13, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 24, 2019

IIRC the Airman was introduced 1953 and made in this configuration through the mid/late 60s.

10. Professor Jun 25, 2019

Are the modern Glycine watches still good watches for the intended purposes? Meaning accurate and reliable.
    I see the recent production Airman (model 40?) watches are advertised as being dimensionally identical with the originals of the 50's.

I found it odd that the advertisements show mostly WW2 and earlier aircaft and models in 1940's uniforms. I'm sure they made great watches before WW2 but they aren't advertising re issues of those.

11. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 25, 2019

Modern ones were ETA or maybe now Sellita movements, but regarding watch in pics, yes crown and screw are missing as well as the block that pushed against the bezel to hold it.
    Possibly the wrong crystal in the watch and that could be keeping the bezel stuck, or just a lot of skin-cheese built up under there. I've done quite a few over the years, but dont have any parts except a waffle print crown around the shop.
    Jim should be able to help.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  12. river rat Jun 26, 2019

Some one posted Nevada watch repair Jim does great work he fixed the hack wire on mine most watchmakers screw up and remove he mite have the crown parts and if it don’t hack he can fix that to the modern glycine co. won’t be able to handle it lack of parts and knowledge on these. Some one most likely glued the bezel had that happen on a vintage Eterna kontiki diver I use to own some fool glued it the way it was when I bought it bet the same thing here. The crystal looks original so not the problem for the bezel.
    Here is mine same crystal see date window contact Jim only one I would trust with it.
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 26, 2019
    Waltesefalcon and Observer like this.
  13. redzer007 Jun 26, 2019

Do glycine have
    Actually, this may work, the recent rerelease is very similar the locking crown may fit

IMG_20190626_212510__01.jpg IMG_20190626_212359.jpg

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  14. CaptainWinsor Jun 26, 2019

15. river rat Jun 26, 2019

Here is a interesting article it will tell you about the vintage airman how the hacking is different and the movement. Plus this watch company has been sold a few time history lost and parts for the vintage stuff was mostly lost were they lost the know how on how to work on there vintage stuff not like Longines and Zenith and Omega who still have the know how to work on there vintage stuff.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-glycine-airman-special/
    The vintage airman is a totally different watch were parts from modern glycine are not interchangeable. It would be like using a new crown off a new Tudor snowflake and trying to put it on a vintage Tudor Sub. Ever notice how many vintage glycine airman were they don't hack. When some not use to a wire hacking device the size of a human hair don't know how to put it back or brake it due to lack of knowledge. Seen a lot of threads of watchmakers trying to figure a replacement wire and non figured it out but Jim at Nevada Watch repair did he had the parts made up for the hacking wire and the crown lock for the bezel ring parts the modern Glycine does not have plus there not swiss any more China probably a real mess now .

Edited Jun 26, 2019
    Waltesefalcon and Tubber like this.
  16. Tubber Jun 26, 2019

@river rat that is a very true and very pertinent point when buying. Sometimes it is just the wire that hasn't been put back in the hole. Other times the whole hacking mechanism has been removed. I took a gamble on a "12 on Top" hoping it was just the hacking wire. Turned out the whole mechanism had been removed.
    Matt Henning in the US manufactures new hacking mechanisms which was fitted to this one.
    OF 2.jpg
    For anyone in Europe Ronald Prins in the Netherlands is excellent, can't recommend him enough.

17. redzer007 Jun 26, 2019

The secondary crown has nothing to do with the movement or hacking, all it does is lock the bezel. I'm not saying it will fit, but it might fit. It's only a threaded pin, locking washer and crown

18. Tubber Jun 26, 2019

Did anyone say the secondary crown was to do with the movement or hacking? More than 3 components on the old Glycine Bezel clamp. Can't see the clamp post on the OPs watch that stops the clamp from rotating.
    drawing.jpg
    The clamp crown retaining pin usually corrodes and the rest is lost.
    Try the new parts. I would be interested to know if they fit.
    (I nicked that drawing from https://andres55.home.xs4all.nl/frames/airmangeoff.htm)

drawing.jpg
    Waltesefalcon likes this.
  19. redzer007 Jun 27, 2019

Just wanted to ensure that the OP did not discount the chance that clamp parts may fit, given the statement that
    No disagreement that apart from appearances the watches are totally different. May just be me, but I had inferred that the hacking was linked to the crown the OP had asked about given that it follows the above statement.

Very interesting page you linked to, did not know about clamping post, would be interested to see if the reissue used the same solution (sadly I think may be the component that scuppers the idea)

20. redzer007 Jun 27, 2019

IMG_20190627_154010.jpg Had a closer look and tried to take a pic, looks like there may in fact be a post :)