Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2016

Just saw this on CNN, moments ago.

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. flw history nerd Mar 9, 2016

Love it!! (Now if only I could persuade my wife to let me buy one) :whistling:

deryk527 and OMGRLX like this.
  3. knappo1307 Mar 9, 2016

:thumbsup:

4. Flingit1200s Mar 9, 2016

Love the blue dial with the bracelet. Shhhh.......my wife can read my thoughts. ::rant:

Pilot likes this.
  5. alam Mar 9, 2016

maybe that coin bezel will grow on me...maybe... let me replay the video...

::popcorn::

6. Egatdagi Mar 9, 2016

7. billyblue Mar 9, 2016

If they get rif the date I'll buy one instantly ( no, cannot afford Platinum )

8. demollo Mar 10, 2016

Great watch (hence the avatar) My favourite is Blue on bracelet.

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 10, 2016

I dislike that the dial is so far at the bottom in a formal watch... I mean let's face it... it doen't have a 6mm sapphire crystal like a diver to make that a necessity...

... empty ashtray association creeping up on me

nlogax likes this.
  10. VicLeChic Apr 24, 2016

Not sure about fluted bezels, I don't particularly like them in Rolex and don't see why Omega brings the same idea to the Globemaster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. micampe Apr 24, 2016

Sigh, Omega didn't bring the idea from Rolex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Pictures from elsewhere in this forum)

12. VicLeChic Apr 24, 2016

Oh I see, they're bringing back what looks like a vintage design.

I'll check it out at the AD once available. Might be a stunner in the flesh, who knows.

13. flw history nerd Apr 24, 2016

That smoke grey dial makes me drool ...

ahartfie likes this.
  14. micampe Apr 24, 2016

ahartfie likes this.
  15. VicLeChic Apr 27, 2016

This material in a watch is new to me. I know they use tungsten in light bulbs filaments and in some pens but other than that I have no clue. Care to elaborate on its properties, especially benefits and drawbacks in a watch?

meganfox17 likes this.
  16. Mothra Apr 27, 2016

18 Constellation Stainless c-shape complete.jpg I've always liked the c shape Connie's. I have one still. But I really wasn't sure about the globemaster. If I'm honest, I hated it. in photos its a mish mash of features from watches of different styles that didn't fit together. And although I got the history, I still thought it would be improved with a polished bezel. I had a spare half hour in London so I popped into the boutique. I hated it on the window. I hated it on the desk. And then I put it on my wrist and something magical happened. As soon as was wearing it, I loved it. It's rugged yet sleek, professional, striking, it's an awesome watch too wear with a suit. I suspect I shall shortly be converting some of my vintage constellations into a modern globemaster.

STANDY likes this.
  17. VicLeChic Apr 27, 2016

Facinating properties. We can expect the bezel to be scratch free for many years then. Wondering why they didn't use tungsten carbide for the case too. Cost, weight, possible brittleness.as you mentionned? At least breaking and replacing the bezel wouldn't be as expensive as the whole case. Wild guessing a few hundreds EUR rather than a few thousands.

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2016

I have a fair bit of direct experience with tungsten carbide. It is a material often used for cutting tools in machining operations, as it is very wear resistant. I installed many CNC machining centers that used tungsten carbide tooling in my years as a project engineer in a manufacturing company.

I now use tungsten gravers for turning hard materials on my watchmaking lathe, which I sharpen using a diamond lap. It is much easier to cut hard steels with a tungsten graver than say with a HSS graver (High Speed Steel). So for example when cutting out a balance staff on the lathe, I use the tungsten graver. The tungsten gravers are easily chipped though, so cutting with one requires some care.

Tungsten is also used in different forms for other purposes, such as armor piercing ammunition. When I was active as a competitive archer, I used tungsten points in my arrows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tungsten is a very dense material, and with the X10 (aluminum and carbon fiber) arrows I shot they helped get more weight to the front of the arrow - higher %FOC than steel points and the inserts being shorter for a given weight would not interfere with node points...sorry archery geek stuff there for a minute...

Back when the Iraq war started I was still competing, and there was a shortage of points for arrows because the US military was using a lot of the tungsten for ammunition.

As noted it is also used in rock bits - the company I used to work for made rock bits as well, but not in the plant I worked in, but we did have some samples kicking around the office, and they had tungsten carbide inserts in them certainly.

Tungsten is usually sintered from powder form, rather than machined. Although most consider it a metallic substance, it is technically a ceramic.

It is very hard and scratch resistant, but also can be brittle. Fortunately the bezel for the Globemaster is not terribly expensive to replace, so around $200 US for a new one should something happen.

BTW elemental tungsten is Wolfram.

Cheers, Al

Syrte, STANDY, VicLeChic and 3 others like this.
  19. Junior archer Apr 27, 2016

+1 for tungstens points. You forgot to mention that they don't bend either so the arrows spin true for a really long time. You don't have tungsen points floating around anymore do you? ;-)

20. alam Apr 27, 2016

Huus and meganfox17 like this.