Forums Latest Members

Globemaster SS v Zenith Defy Classic

1. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2019

{Apologies I'm bumping up text I already posted elsewhere}

I've been saving the pennies for some time now for a modern sports piece (in a bid to break out of vintage ;)), and generally assuming the steel/steel/blue Globemaster was going to be my destination. But this Zenith is starting to turn my head... :rolleyes:
    2-100-04-0007.jpg
    I always like to support genuine design and technology rather than the marketing and PR department. So I revere the METAS movement. But this Zenith is a great effort though. My particular issues are around the titanium in the real world. How are the scratches - or has Zenith put on a good coating? Does it feel "lightweight" in the pejorative sense? And does the metal have less lustre? I hope to get to an AD to look and feel one day soon, but real OF user opinions count a lot with me too.

So... anyone who owns this with the titanium bracelet classic dial, please tell me what you think, thanks! :thumbsup:

2. SBS74 Nov 11, 2019

The Defy is a fantastic watch and would be my choice. I don’t own one but have handled several and was very impressed everytime

3. wristpirate Nov 11, 2019

I found the Defy Classic Titanium a bit large and heavy for my puny wrist. I'm a vintage guy.

Bit of thread drift...I recently tried on a Defy Classic Ceramic and was very impressed. Comfortable and lightweight without looking lightweight. Had a good wrist presence. I can feel one of these making its way onto my shopping list at some point.

Photo lifted from Hodinkee

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/zenith-defy-classic-ceramic-hands-on

Defy Classic Rubber.jpg

TimeODanaos likes this.
  4. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2019

Thanks for that - I saw those too and was impressed. I'm not currently in the zone for a skeleton dial, but I am interested in what is happening with modern ceramic materials, and these are pretty durn cool. :cool:

5. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2019

How did you find the "weight" on the wrist? I was interested that @wristpirate found it heavy - I think I would like that, and was a bit concerned it would feel too light compared with steel. (I know, I'm condemning titanium for one of the key qualities that make it hi-tech and cool ::screwloose::..

6. SBS74 Nov 11, 2019

I think the weight is nice, it’s neither to heavy nor light. Really gotta try it on tho for sure

7. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2019

Roger that - it's going on the list. Thanks for dropping by the thread!

8. stuart70 Nov 11, 2019

I would go for the Zenith every time.

9. Lugduno Nov 12, 2019

The Zenith is really cool but unfortunately a bit too big on my wrists when I got to try it on a few weeks ago. So personally I'd go for the Globemaster in this case.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

Titanium has a warming feel on the wrist, usually quite comfortable in my opinion.

11. DeepBlue Nov 12, 2019

For me the Zenith!

12. TimeODanaos Nov 12, 2019

Encouraging replies, thanks to all. Any owners/long- term testers out there prepared to share experiences of Ti dings and scratches? :coffee:

13. stuart70 Nov 12, 2019

I have Ti ok to live with (Pelagos). It is slightly greyer than steel. I do like the lightness and don’t find it scratches, not sure how much a brushed finish hides them.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  14. gostang9 Nov 12, 2019

Is this the Globemaster SS you are comparing and also considering? If so, I'd go for Globemaster all day every day over that Zenith.

Not because Omega > Zenith, just because I like the look of the Globemaster so much more. My brother-in-law has the Globemaster on a leather strap and wears it quite often. Every time I'm struck by how nice it looks, understated, not flashy, but very nice.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-...axial-master-chronometer-39-mm-13033392103001

[​IMG]

Premaster, Longbow and Wetworks like this.
  15. weimi1 Nov 12, 2019

So far, no problems with scratches.
    Does not seem to be as sensitive to scratches as my steel versions.
    IMG_1811.JPG

jankymutt, stuart70 and TimeODanaos like this.
  16. gbesq Nov 12, 2019

15887341-84FA-4E9F-9DFD-BCEE2DEBD311.jpeg A7671C57-A41C-4403-8CB1-1B4FAAB2FB8C.jpeg I can’t opine as to the Zenith, but as the proud owner of a blue dialed Globemaster in stainless steel I can tell you that it is one of Omega’s best offerings. The pie pan dial is stunning and the star of the show, but this watch isn’t just another pretty face. The METAS certified caliber 8900 is a technological marvel and quartz like accurate. I have absolutely no buyer’s remorse on this model. And it looks great on the alligator leather strap too. Highly recommended.

Katana, timestamp, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  17. scapa Nov 12, 2019

I own a couple of Ti watches, including a Chronomaster (coated) and Pelagos. Can't say that either have proven more susceptible to dings and scratches than my steel watches, and the Pelagos has not been babied. Lore has it that a Scotchbrite can cope with scratches on Titanium and there are also Ti scratch-removing pens available. Definitely appreciate the feel and lightness of Ti over steel.

Of these two prefer the Globemaster -- striking watch with excellent movement and the Tungsten should hold up well.

Longbow and TimeODanaos like this.
  18. TimeODanaos Nov 12, 2019

Great fightback by the Globemaster! ::popcorn:: Looking even on points now, and only a hands-on session at the AD is going to decide this - can't wait!

19. gbesq Nov 12, 2019

Forgot to mention the Globemaster’s tungsten carbide bezel. Pretty much scratch proof. And the 8900 movement has magnetic resistance to 15,000 gauss.

Katana, TimeODanaos and PeterT like this.
  20. MalaMD Nov 12, 2019

I'd go for the Globemaster. Looks very classy and I think it's better suited to strap changes - as shown in the above pics it looks equally great on the bracelet or leather.