Forums Latest Members
  1. Benjo74 Nov 28, 2016

Hello forum

This might be my first post here, but I have been spending a fair bit of time reading the forum over the last year. I have recently decided to trade in my "formal" watch (Bauer & Mercier, Clifton) for something nicer and the blue Globemaster on the blue alligator strap has caught my attention.

I have not seen much discussion on this watch and so I was wondering what the general consensus was amongst the Omega enthusiasts? I would have anticipated more discussions on this given the first METAS status etc, so I was wondering whether those in the know would typically opt for an alternative (the blue Seamaster AT appeals to me as well, or even maybe a blue stick dial datejust 2).

My current rotation includes a Rolex GMT master 2 (black bezel), Tudor Black Bay in black (ETA version) and the B&M that I plan to trade in.

The globemaster (if I go for it) will be worn as a workday watch in rotation with the GMT. I typically wear a suit to work and fancy a leather strap to alternate with the steel bracelet on the GMT.

I appreciate any advice from the Omega enthusiasts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longbow likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 28, 2016

IMO, it is one of the better recent Omegas. Nice ratio of dress/utility being well suited to a range of different tasks. Would have liked it even better had it been slightly smaller, but that's personal preference. I like that it harkens back to a number of older watches (pie pan dial, observatory on the back, name) while it still retains a contemporary look and incorporates some interesting mechanical improvement/innovations. One of the few modern Omegas that most vintage collectors seems to be able to agree on liking :)

KingTriton32, ahartfie, Jwit and 5 others like this.
  3. JohnSteed Nov 28, 2016

Thanks for posting @Benjo74 .... Welcome!!

I'm almost certain you'll find posting / discussion on the modern globemaster. Just a matter of reading the threads. Lots to like about it I'm sure

1. a sale offering -

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fso...ellation-39mm-blue-130-33-39-21-03-001.49060/

2. @Alpha showing it off here (as we love to)

3. Recommended here

Last but not least, you gotta have photos. A vintage GM ....

IMG_1468.JPG

Pun, alam and meganfox17 like this.
  4. meganfox17 Nov 28, 2016

What ? No accompanying photographs to kick start the discussion on the GM MC on your very first thread ?
    I 'll help put things in perspective first. We'll need photos of the most gifted actor of his generation
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Nov 28, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  5. Benjo74 Nov 28, 2016

Thanks for the replies. No photos yet as I don't own an Omega (yet...). Also, I don't seem able to post photos - is there a requirement to reach a certain number of posts before I can add photos?

I plan to go back to try it on again today and see whether I can secure a good deal. My problem is that I need to trade in my old watch, and i doubt they will give me a good deal but I have I ask!

Anyone have any experience with trade-ins at a London authorised dealer? And can anyone advise me what level of discount is reasonable for a first time customer at the authorised dealer? The sales lady indicated to me that she would be able to discount it, but didn't suggest a %. I expect if I am trading in the deal will be less favourable.

Also, from what I gather there would be zero discount from an OB. Whilst the OB experience does have its perceived benefits (to me), right now I would value a discount better than a nice time in the shop.

Thanks again for your helpful replies.

Ben

6. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

@Benjo74 check out the Omega Deville Orbis Hour Vision as well...it is now METAS certified similar to the Globemaster. I think based on your rotation you will be wearing the new Omega on a leather strap...with the GMT as your steel bracelet daily work watch. I think both the Globemaster and Orbis HV blue dials are great options:)
    20160227_095600.jpg 20160329_122230.jpg

Kim and Miss_Bourginskay like this.
  7. Prieto9000 Nov 28, 2016

You should try on the 41.5 AT blue dial/blue alligator strap. I think you'll like it better.
    A few months ago I was tempted to buy the same globemaster you are considering and went to my AD to try it on. When I compared it side by side with the AT I immediately discarded the GM. The dial on the AT is way more appealing. The watch seems to have more life in it.

Sent from my iPhone

Buster and Pun like this.
  8. Benjo74 Nov 28, 2016

I went to the AD today and tried on both. The AT was the smaller version on bracelet, but I did get to compare side by side. Tough decision!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually also love the bracelet version, but I am on a mission for a leather strap watch
    [​IMG]

ahartfie, GregH and Jaacck like this.
  9. Prieto9000 Nov 28, 2016

They didn't had the strap version of the AT?? IMO it's a completely different animal. I don't like the bracelet version of the AT, I never had but the moment I saw the one on the blue strap Oh my god I almost bought it right there. I contained myself just because I had to get some other pieces in my collection first. Hopefully I'll flip my DeVille Coaxial some time soon to get it.

Sent from my iPhone

10. Maganator Nov 28, 2016

I would pick the Globemaster over the Seamaster. The pie pan dial is lovely.

KingTriton32 and semper_shells like this.
  11. meganfox17 Nov 28, 2016

Zero discounts at OB really ?
    W[emoji15] W. I'll be damned. From my part of the world , it's a different story. The OBs in Hong Kong , Thailand , Malaysia., Indonesia & Singapore do offer discounts ranging between 5-12% depending on the model. I have a very good rapport with the folks at the OB so I'm treated a little differently.

The weaker Ringgit/ RM currency against the greenback , has made Malaysia more cost competitive & a shopping haven for foreign tourists.The prices of all Swiss branded luxury timepieces are now arguably among the lowest in the world.

Let's take the blue GM MC with the leather strap. It retails for £4600 includ 6% Goods & Sales Tax (GST) .The OB gives you a certain discount as mentioned then upon leaving the country, You as a traveller are entitled to claim a refund of 4.8% GST at a specified airport kiosk ( 1.2% processing fees ) on paid goods by submitting a filled out Tourist Refund Scheme form provided by the OB after showing your passport.

So why not plan a trip to South East Asia for a holiday with your family & check out the many Swiss boutiques. It[emoji1] seems like I'm promoting tourism here but if you meet Malaysians anyway in the world , they would sound just like me !

Edited Nov 28, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay, ahartfie and kkt like this.
  12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 28, 2016

Discounts are available from some Omega Boutiques but don't expect anything to match the grey market, having said that the Boutique Champagne is rather nice :)

13. Daval Nov 28, 2016

I had an identical problem a few months ago, when I was also looking for a new formal watch to wear to the office every day. I also wear a suit most of the times, so it was important that the watch also fitted underneath my cuffs.

As I was in doubt between the Aqua Terra and the new GM, I tried on both at an OB. I originally wanted the GM full SS version but when I wore it, it just felt "cold" to me. When comparing that to the AT, I may have gone with the AT at that time. However, when I tried on the bi-color GM with the blue dial, that was a totally different story. This version felt a lot 'warmer' due to the gold bezel, hands and hour markers and I immediately fell in love with it.

It still took me a few months, but in August I finally bought it and I have worn it to the office every day since. The gold bezel is not that apparent as some of the Omega pictures might imply. Under some lighting conditions it appears as if it is a SS bezel, but still the gold hands and hour markers make it a different dial.

I can only say, I have not regretted my purchase for a second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing.

15. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

@Daval ..just adding some additional comments....I never saw that specific TT version of the GM with the dark blue strap live..it always caught my eye on internet pics (I think the first time I saw that version was on the French website Les Habilleurs)....your pics have shown how good it looks in daylight. Congratulations on your purchase. That is a very, very beautiful watch!

16. Daval Nov 28, 2016

Yes, I was surprised as well to notice how much the appearance of the watch changes depending on the lighting conditions. It looks like a different watch when seen under artificial lights as opposed to daylight. The picture below shows what it looks like under artificial lighting (sorry for the poor iPhone quality pic).

@Riviera Paradise thank you for your kind comments.

[​IMG]

meganfox17 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  17. semper_shells Nov 28, 2016

I so much love this watch, dat Blue!!! The choices, too many choices. Now how am I ever going to choose what my first Omega is with all these different choices?

ahartfie likes this.
  18. AnotherDon Nov 28, 2016

About that bracelet...If it were me, I'd buy the watch on the bracelet and then pick up a strap and clasp to wear on the watch. That way if you ever wanted to wear the watch on the bracelet, you've got the bracelet. Adding a strap and clasp is much less expensive than buying a bracelet alone. And then when you sell/trade the watch, it is much easier to sell/trade with the watch on a bracelet.

Just my $0.02

19. Mothra Nov 28, 2016

For me, on you there the Globemaster kicks arse...

Jwit, Alpha, Jaacck and 1 other person like this.
  20. meganfox17 Nov 28, 2016

Right 0n Brother ! High-Five[emoji137]

Jwit likes this.