Forums Latest Members

Globemaster OR Aqua Terra 150 Spectre james bond edition

1. kcs May 19, 2016

I'm looking to purchase my first Omega watch. I would like to buy a watch that I can wear casual and dressy, but also looking at investment and long term value.

As by the heading of the thread, the watches I am looking at are the Omega Constellation Globemaster (Blue Dial and Steel Bracelet) and the Spectre James Bond Edition Aqua Terra 150 (think this only comes with a blue dial and steel bracelet). I'm leaning more towards the Globemaster at this stage.

I've read in a few forums that Limited Edition pieces (such as the James Bond piece) would retain value better.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the Globemaster would also retain value, given its Constellation Heritage and this is the first piece to be issued with the Master Chronometer certification?

This is my first post and first luxury watch, so please forgive any silly/common sense questions I may have asked!!!

Longbow, OMGRLX and GBTRIUMPH like this.
  2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 19, 2016

Globemaster. It's the Constellation of the future. Enough said. :thumbsup:

Longbow, kcs, ahartfie and 1 other person like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 19, 2016

Globemaster. I just returned from the San Antonio, Texas Omega Boutique. It was the Globemaster, in several variants that they had on hand, that got my attention. This was the first time I'd seen a Globemaster in person and I was impressed.

Longbow, kcs, GBTRIUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  4. GBTRIUMPH May 19, 2016

Don't be afraid of silly questions, be more afraid of our silly answers. ;-)
    I vote the Globemaster. Only cuz I want one too. Your reasoning should be correct as the new Globemaster should behave in the market as a "special edition". The Globemaster is more understated and elegant than any overt 007 edition and will fit even the most formal occasions.
    BUT, there are smarter people here than me, so wait a bit and I am sure a few people will chime in. Good luck, God Bless!

Longbow, kcs and OMGRLX like this.
  5. GBTRIUMPH May 19, 2016

Did you see the new one with the Months between the indices? OhhhhHHHH BABBBBBBBBYYYYY.....

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2016

For the most part the James Bond watches don't hold value. The 300m Spectre might. Generally bond editions trade below value of the regular version. No new watch is going to appreciate in the short to mid term.

If you are looking for a non depreciating asset look at used or vintage.

7. Bushido May 19, 2016

Globemaster appears to be the bigger hit when it comes to more broad appeal. It also doesn't hurt that's it's one of the first waves from Omega with the META certification. Either way, have fun with the decision making process and don't rush your choice.

Longbow and kcs like this.
  8. EatMan May 19, 2016

I am obviously biased. I went through something similar. I considered Aqua terra (silver). Although it was beautiful on display, Globemaster simply looked better on my wrist. The blue face on GM is exquisite. A real stunner. For me GM is a perfect everyday watch. I believe AT is 42mm while GM is 39mm. That plus the fluted bezel makes a pretty big difference when actually on your wrist.

At the end of the day, you should go with your heart and get the one that speaks to you.

9. GBTRIUMPH May 19, 2016

Every price I checked when shopping this past year consistently listed the real (not just style wise) 300M late 90s, 2000s Bond watches higher than an equivalent non-special edition watch. I noted this and was happy as I did not want the "I'm a 007 Fan" version and therefore was going to spend less money. Additionally, the original asking prices (certainly of the most recent AT and 300) of the Special Editions are higher than the non-special ones. Maybe things are different here in the U.S.?...But I also shopped U.K. sites...I'm confused...

kcs likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2016

Asking price verses sales price. ;)

11. kcs May 19, 2016

Thank you so much for your replies and help. I think I will go with the Globemaster. I really liked this one too. Does anyone know where I can get an additional blue leather strap for this watch, so i can switch them around to give a different feel and look?

Longbow and OMGRLX like this.
  12. ConElPueblo May 20, 2016

Amen. At the very least, vintage (non-price inflated!) watches will, as a guide line, retain their value and not depreciate further.

...But who knows?

Investment = Buy property.
    Enjoyment = Buy watches.

BrianMcKay, nickw and OMGRLX like this.
  13. GBTRIUMPH May 20, 2016

Since we are discussing shops, not eBay....how do you know the sales price?

14. Alex_TA May 20, 2016

I'm biased too but seems to be the only voice for AT. It's hard to imagine more universal watch: can be casual and dressy, screw-in crown, bigger but not too big dial.

Here is mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BrianMcKay, dalethorn and GBTRIUMPH like this.
  15. GBTRIUMPH May 20, 2016

Show off! You had to get the day-date one, huh? ;-)
    That is the one my wife pointed at for me to buy at the OB. I opted for the less expensive one.
    For true versatility, not long term investment, you are correct and got the best of the breed. (albeit leather and water are not the best combination)...

Alex_TA likes this.
  16. Alex_TA May 20, 2016

Wives are never wrong [emoji57]

As for the strap, it's Hirsch Viscount that should be waterproof.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  17. GBTRIUMPH May 20, 2016

DOUBLE DOWN SHOW-OFF! (love the strap)

Alex_TA likes this.
  18. GBTRIUMPH May 20, 2016

Imagine! An alligator that can go through water!
    What will they think of next?

Alex_TA likes this.
  19. EatMan May 24, 2016

I got the blue strap from OB. Thinking about getting a brown strap also from OB as well. I like Omega straps-- supple and pliable. Uber comfortable.

20. Spy You know my name. May 26, 2016

I am James Bond and even I would go for the Globemaster over the AT.

Longbow likes this.