Forums Latest Members
  1. Badhabit59 Mar 17, 2020

Considering adding this to my collection, but It's old enough I am having trouble researching the movement. When viewed from the side, the crown and pushes are misaligned. Would this be an indication of a modular setup? Not a bad thing necessarily, I just don't know that much about them. Any help would be appreciated. It is from around 2003 I believe.

20200317_173111.jpg

20200317_173139.jpg
  2. Evitzee Mar 17, 2020

It is a modular setup, based on their normal auto movement at the time.

3. Badhabit59 Mar 19, 2020

Thanks for your response. Kinda what I was thinking. A Dubois-Depraz I would imagine? I know they have worked with many manufacturers over the years. I have never heard anything really bad, in fact mostly good things if you can get past the whole module thing. I can see the paint on the tachy numbers has been touched up, rather poorly, but I think I can get over that for the price. Any more opinions?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2020

Usually the issue with a modular chronograph is from the service side. You typically have fewer service options because many watchmakers (myself included) aren't fond of working on these, and parts for the modules aren't always easy to get. People often say "well you just swap the whole module out" but trust me there isn't a "chronograph module store" around the corner where you can just go buy one, so that comment is pretty much fantasy.

So this leaves you stuck with the brand for servicing, and many people don't like having that sort of restriction, but in this case if the base movement is already a GO movement, you won't be getting parts for those anyway, so you are already stuck with the brand for servicing for the most part. Swatch group doesn't sell parts to independent watchmakers for any brand higher up the food chain than mega, so GO, Breguet, JD, Blancpain, etc. no parts are widely available.

From a personal standpoint I am certainly a fan of GO (I own one), but this particular model leaves me a bit cold.

Cheers, Al

lindo and George.A like this.
  5. Badhabit59 Mar 19, 2020

That sure is a lot of information...and sadly, kinda what I expected. SO nice to have feedback like this tho, and If I were to go through with it at least I know what to expect. Only two problems, no idea what the history is, ie worn daily or safe queen, and two, I kinda really like the watch. Thanks again, this is why I come to these forums.