Forums Latest Members

Glashütte Original Sixties Panorama Date or Omega Globemaster 8500?

1. famatta127 Nov 7, 2016

OK so being on an Omega forum, the results might be a bit biased but I thought I'd try.

Which would you buy and why?...WITHOUT considering price and resale isn't my concern.
    Looking to buy a new blue dial dress watch and have narrowed it down to these two.
    I have tried both on in the flesh and was surprised how much I enjoyed the Omega.

Size wise the Omega is smaller but does wear a bit larger than its dimensions suggest.
    Fit and finish, not considering the decorated movements (which GO wins hands down) are remarkably similar...props to Omega for staying competitive here. I love the big date feature of the GO but I love the hardened bezel of the Omega. Both dials are incredible in person, each with their own appeal. The Go has laser cut indicies into the white gold of the face. The Omega has the Pie Pan!

So I hope to hear from owners of these specific pieces or just others who have considered/ dreamed/ drooled over either one at some time.
    Thanks

untitled folder 23.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2016

Glashutte Original easily for the win. ::love::

3. meganfox17 Nov 7, 2016

Hi @famatta127

I'm a very happy owner of the blue dial GM MC on a very comfortable SS bracelet for daily use basis & its a great all rounder
    The GO 60s Panorama date is no doubt a stunning watch with the beautiful Tiki dial , domed shaped sc 18K G hands ,nice In-House movements but at that price point I would rather prefer a JLC or a pre-owned Breguet type XXI

The disadvantages of the more dressier GO I can think of is the poor lume , shorter power reserves , the 30 m WR is really its achilles heel & METAS uncertified.
    I'm unsure about the customer friendly attitude & after sales services of the GO brand in Malaysia . On the contrary ,
    I know everyone in the Omega boutiques in KL & Penang plus i'm treated like a VIP so there you have it.......

Uniqez likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 7, 2016

I didn't have to guess which one you would vote for did I.

:D

My vote is the GO, simply based on looking at the two pictured here.

5. alam Nov 7, 2016

Considering only the look of the dials in their original state, I'd pass on both--the date window is a deal breaker for me, and IMO an awful design. Now, if we remove the date window on these two, then I'd pick the Glashutte. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

:)

Reddy_Kilowatt and NT931 like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

Both lovely watches that anyone would be proud to own. Both great in blue too.

But I am prejudiced toward the Glashütte for some reason.:rolleyes:

G11b.jpg

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2016

No contest - the GO is the winner here in pretty much every way I can think of.

I can't speak for this watch, and yes it's a sample of one, but in terms of timekeeping my PanoReserve was very good out of the box - this set of results was actually taken 4+ years after I bought the watch, so it was already a good way towards needing a service at this point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Average rate of 0, and Delta of just 5.5 seconds over 6 positions - note that COSC and METAS certification allow the Delta number to be as much as 12 seconds at full wind and this is less than 1/2 of that:

[​IMG]

For me it would be the GO all the way - the DJ lookalike is not even a consideration IMO. ;)::stirthepot::

Cheers, Al

watchknut, Jwit, George.A and 2 others like this.
  8. micampe Nov 8, 2016

[​IMG]

Jwit, kkt, Jonatan and 1 other person like this.
  9. NT931 Nov 8, 2016

GO FTW!

But I'd prefer the non-date version

[​IMG]

Nitzbar, watchknut, kkt and 5 others like this.
  10. alam Nov 8, 2016

Now we are talking!! oh baby blue! ::love::

NT931 likes this.
  11. meganfox17 Nov 8, 2016

[​IMG]

12. NT931 Nov 8, 2016

The other alternative for GO is their Sixties "Iconic" collection.

@famatta127 , you might like the 'Aqua' on extreme left. I really like the red one.
    [​IMG]

Jwit, micampe and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2016

Miss Fox, I have to take umbrage with your "disadvantages". It's a dress watch for crying out loud, not a dive watch!!!!! Things like lume and water resistance have no meaning, and power reserve very little meaning. That's a very WatchUSeek way to rate it. I'll forgive this as it's the first blunder of this type you've made to my knowledge.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. alam Nov 8, 2016

^^ I think Ms. Fox was thinking of possible contingency scenarios..:p

divetux2.JPG divetux.JPG
    Nitzbar, Jwit, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  15. meganfox17 Nov 8, 2016

I do get myself involve in lots of water sports recreation Sir & I really trash my watches a lot. To begin with, I thought the comparison between the 2 watches with such a wide price point was unfair. It was like bringing a knife to a gunfight ! Correct me if I'm wrong but if i did own a GO , lets say one with no complications & ( God Forbid ) I messed up the watch , i think the servicing & cost of repair would be at a minimum £700 -£1000

I admit I'm a hyperactive individual not ready for " Real " dress watches yet Sir....in the next 10 yrs perhaps [emoji4] I'm still a young raw thick headed WIS in
    " tool watches " phase but as time evolves i feel my preferences will more refined , subtle , classy.
    Right now , all I wanna do is get " all dirty" , sleeves rolled up , face the Big Boys head on & absorb the body blows ! Once a while , I'll throw a couple of Sucker Punches [emoji14]
    Dont worry Sir , I'm mature enough to accept my blunders & dont ever think for one moment i've ignored all the other comments & good advices from everyone on the forum [emoji3]

kkt likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2016

Yeah, well just because it's remotely possible doesn't make it plausible or anywhere near commonplace. I used to see WUS members rate dress watches with points deducted for poor lume and water resistance, and all I could think was they were guys who wrestled alligators and made their own moonshine in the swamp, but mistakenly got invited to be on a panel of experts ranking First Growth '86 Bordeaux.

No problem if you aren't a dress watch person - just don't offer ratings on them. ;)

meganfox17 likes this.
  17. kerrr.splat Nov 8, 2016

Love GO and would love to have either pano reserve of panomatic lunar with their blue dial but the model shown I just can't get over the style of the 12/3/6/9. Very subjective of course but too funky for me.

18. prontoprint Nov 8, 2016

That is one lovely watch

19. Riviera Paradise Nov 8, 2016

For me both the date and the no date GO win over the GlobeMaster (overall aesthetics, movement decoration etc.). I would prefer the no date version of GO (above) for a dress watch.

Nitzbar, NT931, alam and 1 other person like this.
  20. Morrisdog Nov 8, 2016

Well I am going to go against the trend and put my vote for the globemaster simply because I like its look better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk