Forums Latest Members

Giving up dirty habits for watches

1. Walrus Jul 15, 2019

anyone ever dump a bad habit to justify buying a watch? I’ll admit I am a heavy smoker and spend more than I care to mention on cigarettes and cigars. If I quit for a year or so it would definitely put me in speedy territory. This seems like a rationale thing to do. Not just the watch but certainly healthy to. Seems to be win win. FYI I just ordered a decent little seiko to cheer myself up a bit. It’s one with the dial numbered in fives. Something different for me.

Toishome and noelekal like this.
  2. 89-0 Jul 15, 2019

Whatever approach helps you quit smoking, go with it. Put a photo of a Speedmaster on your mirror, and let that be your inspiration to quit smoking STAT!

[​IMG]

jzerore likes this.
  3. lillatroll Jul 15, 2019

I have not given up anything for a watch but I did quit smoking, well I still have them occasionally but it can be months between smoking.
    A friend of my parents gave up smoking to buy a satellite TV dish when they first arrived in the UK. I enjoyed smoking but there are few, if any positives really so what ever helps you quit has to be a good thing. A vape thingy helped me a lot.

ICONO, Mouse_at_Large and noelekal like this.
  4. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

I quit smoking a pipe 39 years ago, about 5 years after I started collecting watches. Back then, I was paying either $1.59 or. $1.89 for a 50 gram pouch of pipe tobacco. About 15 years ago, I enquired as to what a 50 gram package of pipe tobacco was. It was close to $16.00! Had I kept smoking, over the past 39 years, I suspect I would have burned up more money than I have invested in watches since I started collecting. Hardly a day goes by but what I think about perhaps, just once, buying a pouch of pipe tobacco!

Walrus and noelekal like this.
  5. Observer I know nothing! Jul 15, 2019

Keep buying watches until you can't afford cigarettes.

6. ConElPueblo Jul 15, 2019

I am considering giving up watches and taking up cocaine.

GordonL, Noddyman, redpcar and 18 others like this.
  7. wsfarrell Jul 15, 2019

Here you go...

cocaine.jpg

KingCrouchy and Walrus like this.
  8. krh7 Jul 15, 2019

give up one speedy for another speedy?

joeshoup and RI Omega Fan like this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 15, 2019

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Then write up a feature thread here and show us what you bought with a year's smokes savings. Maybe put up a before and after blood test/blood pressure results to go with it.

89-0 and Walrus like this.
  10. Walrus Jul 15, 2019

11. Walrus Jul 15, 2019

Shoot cigarettes are like 11 bucks a pack here. I’m embarrassed to tell you how much I smoke. If anyone remembers when I wrote that post about getting hit with the job loss and all the injuries what I didn’t say was I ended up in the hospital for several days as I got these massive chest pains. Everything worked out in the chest pain department but while I was in they slapped a 21mg nicotine patch on me. Of course as soon as I stepped out of the hospital I had a smoke but it gave me a headache probably because I OD on nicotine. It gave me the idea I probably can quit with some help. Right now I’m smoking like a fiend again (excuse) but I’m loaded with stress from all the BS I created. Never been on unemployment a day in my life and I’ve been working since I was 14. Anyway this sounds like a solid plan to me, I mean what could possibly go wrong. Now excuse I need a cigarette.

12. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

To our American friends (and others), this picture is of a Canadian $100.00 bill, burning. That is $76.64 US. Still rather a lot of money.

DA21EAC5-53FC-4834-87FF-8715117B0631.jpeg

13. cristos71 Jul 15, 2019

It took me over ten years to stop smoking, during that time I tried stopping probably 15 or 20 times. I attempted most things from cold turkey to nicotine patches and acupuncture without success.

In the end I wasn't feeling great either and was real determined to finally do it. I found the nicotine chewing gums to be my best quitting aid as instead of drip feeding nicotine all day as with the patches, with the gum you feel a hit straight away which kills the urge for a good while. After about 8 months of chewing like a maniac I'd managed to reduce my nicotine gum intake from 6 x 4mg per day to 2 x 1mg per day plus probably 8 normal chewing gums. At this point I quit the nicotine gum entirely and have been clean ever since ( 6 years now )

I still fancy a cig every now and again and for the first 3 years after quitting the gum it was a constant struggle but I have been strong and it gives a good feeling to be smoke free for a few years now. The health improvements came gradually only after increasing my sports too, not instantaneously as hoped which was a bit disappointing, but as a long term goal I'd say go for it.

14. Wuza72 Jul 15, 2019

:thumbsup:

Long time smoker as well (30 years). After 6 months without a cigarette, i made myself a gift with a "Non Smoker" Seamaster 168.035 :)

blufinz52 and Schmedsc like this.
  15. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

I was driving on the Trans Canada Highway when my pipe went out. I told Mrs. C. that I had just QUIT! And I did, then and there. Cold turkey! At 60 mph, it took me about 528 feet to quit. About 30 seconds, give or take! Still have my pipes.

16. Shabbaz Jul 15, 2019

I grew up in Amsterdam in the 90's during the house/club scene and as a kid I managed to take every drug possible, I smoked 10 joints a day and I started smoking when I was 14. You could say I was living the good life. :D I did all this till I was 25 and then I stopped with all the drugs. Law school and night life did not go well together. I've kept one terrible bad habit and that is smoking. But I need to stop. It's my last step to being a responsible and healthy adult. But something inside me is telling me: "fuck that! You dont want to be responsible and healthy! It's your last act of rebellion!" But sadly we all know it's the addiction who's telling me this.. So I hope I will quit smoking within a couple of years. Good luck gents! May the force be with you...

17. BenBagbag Jul 15, 2019

Surprised nobody has made a joke about giving up their wife for watches. :D

18. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

Or wives giving up on their husbands because of watches!

Wuza72 and noelekal like this.
  19. river rat Jul 15, 2019

When I quit smoking it was 50 cents a pack I guess I am giving away my age I saved a lot of money since I quit while in high school. I quit a lot of bad habits since like I use to party real heavy. But with what money I use to flush down the toilet I have that speedy and a lot of other watches in the collection another bad habit but a good habit but at least this one won’t put me in a early grave. I wish you luck on quitting smoking a tough habit to quit.

Edited Jul 15, 2019
    Walrus likes this.
  20. ext1 Jul 15, 2019

Getting into watches made me spend less on tech-related things and it taught me about what resale value was as a teenager.

It also made me get out of the audio hole (too expensive and too many occult BS)