Forums Latest Members

Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic - 39 Jewels

1. Mauzer Feb 21, 2019

Note: I'm fairly new on this forum and my native language is Dutch. Please let me know if I can improve something. I've searched on the web and found the history stated as below. If there're any false statements, please let me know!

Recently I came across a Girard-Perregaux - Gyromatic:

The watch:

This is a Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic ref. 7317 from around 1958. This model houses a caliber 21, 18.000 vph, with 39 jewels. With a diameter of 34mm and lugsize of 18mm it wears very comfortable. Unfortunately the crown isn't original anymore, but the case seems in good condition. The dial is difficult to capture, has a nice radium burn, applied indices and a very nice blue date wheel.

Vf+dFg45Q9WJRhn1TAYGQw.jpg

I wasn't familiar with a "Gyromatic", so I started to read something about it. On different sites are different bits and pieces written about this model. I'll try to combine the essence of those bits an pieces to explain what the Gyromatic is. :)

The photos of advertisements used below are from Blomman (link: https://www.watchprozine.com/girard...girard-perregaux-gyromatic-39-jewels/8295043/ )
    The other photos of the watch are my own.

History:
    Girard-Perregaux started to make the Gyromatic model in 1957.
    The Gyromatic is a roller-bearing and rotation inverse mechanisme built into automatic watches. This makes the watch bi-directional winding and was supposed to improve winding the watch automatically. The jeweled roller-bearings are between the rotor and the mainspring and reduce friction.

I tried to capture those jewel-rollers on a macro shot, one of which is visible above the balance wheel, the other is closed on the other left side of the bridge.

fullsizeoutput_2834.jpeg

According to the advertisements in 1957:
    "The Gyrotronic is the invention of a Swiss horological engineer and represents an entirely new solution to an age-old technical problem. It combines with almost incredible simplicity such intricate functions as: Roller-Bearing, Free-Wheel, Automatic Clutch and Rotation-Inverser."

"The Gyromatic transmits energy of every movement to the mainspring without any loss. The very first milligramme of energy automatically pinches the rollers of ruby transmitting that energy to the mainspring."

They even state: "The scarcely perceptible movements of a person aspeel suffice to wind up the watch automatically." Quite a statement if you ask me.

GP ad 1.JPG

Besides the lovely advertisements, I've also came across a commercial, very confusing but very vintage way of advertising dating 1958:

Girard-Perregaux writes the following on their own website about the Gyromatic:
    “In 1957, the watchmakers of the Manufacture introduced the Gyromatic, an ultra-thin high-performance automatic winding system enabling the production of remarkably thin watches.
    This principle reached its peak in 1965 in equipping the world’s first ever high-frequency mechanical self-winding movement, the Gyromatic HF, beating at a rate of 36,000 vibrations per hour. “
    (source: https://www.girard-perregaux.com/en/heritage-duty )

My Gyromatic with cal. 21runs only at 18.000 vph, still a pretty watch though ::shy::

4O+CE4rtRP6HAeb4vzEp0w.jpg

Fratello Watches also wrote a nice article about the Gyromatic. This article has it focus on the High-frequency cal 32a, but also writes some information about the other models in the Gyromatic line. And has a very nice picture of the mechanism, but a bit blurry.
    (source: https://www.fratellowatches.com/ins...rregaux-gyromatic-chronometer-hf-calibre-32a/ )

Gyromatic Book overview.jpg

A couple of years ago Girard-Perregaux launched a tribute to the Gyromatic watch, see article from Monochrome Watches in the link below.
    The Girard-Perregaux 1957 “Tribute to the Gyromatic”, equipped with the cal. GP03300-0130, providing 46h power reserve, ticking at 28.800 vph. And... This automatic watch has 27 jewels. Retailprice in 2016: 10,400 Swiss Francs / 10,300 USD. It sure is a beauty.
    (Source: https://monochrome-watches.com/gira...ute-gyromatic-really-live-photos-specs-price/ )

Girard-Perregaux-1957-tribute-to-Gyromatic-7.jpg

Jewel counting:
    So 14 of the 39 jewels are functioning as a roller bearing between the rotor and mainspring. That leaves 25 jewels in the rest of the movement.

I really appreciate the topic of @ulackfocus here on OF where he explains some history of the jewels:
    "Before rubies could be synthesized, only the most costly watches had more than 7 jewels. After that time, it became a marketing game of who had the most since the general public was not aware of the lower price of synthetic gems"

"There were no regulations on jewels until 1965 when the NIHS (Normes de l'Industrie Horlogie Suisse) stepped in to police the advertising. ... The NIHS also defined what functioning and non-functioning jewels are in ISO 1112. The former is a "jewel which serves to stabilize friction and to reduce the wear rate of contacting surfaces of the components of a timekeeping instrument". ... As with most laws there are loopholes. Some manufacturers add jewels where they do have a tiny function but are practically useless and don't improve accuracy, reduce much friction or add to the life expectancy of the unit."
    (Link for those who haven't read it: https://omegaforums.net/threads/horology-101-jewels-part-1.76575/ , and another recommended article about too many jewels: https://web.archive.org/web/20080702024820/http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0025 )

So, are those extra 14 jewels, functioning jewels?
    For me, this is unclear. My guess would be that those 14 jewels are non-functioning jewels. I suppose that this is the case seeing GP doesn't produces 39 jeweled calibers and even their tribute to the Gyromatic has "only" 27 jewels. I don't think these jewels improve accuracy, reduce much friction or add to the life expectancy of the watch.

But.. an automatic watch has the highest accuracy when fully wound. The mainspring drives the watch and a constant force would increase accuracy. So if this Gyromatic mechanism would improve the winding it would theoretically add to the accuracy of the watch, right?

Sidenote: To my surprise there's an interesting article on Wikipedia explaining the positions of the jewels:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_watch .

Some photo's of old advertisements:
    GP ad 2.jpg GP ad 3.jpg

This advertisement above does look a lot like mine, doesn't it?:thumbsup:

GP ad 4.jpg GP ad 5.JPG

And some photo's of my own:
    PIFXTpOgQEOrNPBoCP7W1w.jpg fullsizeoutput_2824.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2828.jpeg LDN4OGrNQc+ZBcqFIhuBoQ.jpg fullsizeoutput_26a4.jpeg

Conclusion:
    The Gyromatic is a mechanism where jewels function as a bear roller between the rotor and the mainspring. This mechanism makes it bi-directional winding and was supposed to improve the winging of the mainspring. Since NIHS rules in 1965 on what "functional jewels" are, GP didn't make 39 jeweled Gyromatic.
    Still, GP claims that the later Gyromatic with cal 32a was the first HF automatic caliber. In 2016 GP launched a tribute to the Gyromatic, with 2 jewels, but in the same style.

I've worn a Gyromatic for the last week. It wears comfortable on the wrist, I love the dial and the blue date. The applied indices are a real light catcher. I don't notice the Gyromatic mechanism winding the watch more efficiently than other watches I wear. But I like the idea of this mechanism!

2. Norfolk Jul 9, 2019

F3540620-9287-4EAD-B8D8-9561A40B33E5.jpeg Great read. Here’s mine.

3. rott3 Jul 20, 2019

This tells so much of Girard Perregaux....so freakin cool piece of engineering

CHRONOZEN, Als 27 and Mauzer like this.
  4. Mauzer Jul 20, 2019

Thank you! Though I haven’t posted any new information, I thought it would be nice to have an overview.

CHRONOZEN likes this.
  5. Observer I know nothing! Jul 20, 2019

Great write-up. This made me curious about an old Gyromatic in the random watch drawer. Not 39 jewels, though. I looked around and didn't find a serial number database. How did you date yours?

Obligatory pics:
    DSC_9538.jpg DSC_9540.jpg DSC_9542.jpg DSC_9547.jpg

6. Mauzer Jul 21, 2019

Thank you!
    Well I didn't date my watch myself, a former owner had it dated. I searched for the different models over time and it seems to be right. I didn't find a serial number / production year table though...

Good luck!

7. PaulHelmuth Apr 8, 2020

Mauzer,

This is a beautiful watch! Wonderful research that you have done too.

I just recently acquired one nearly identical to yours - but small details of dial are just a little different.

I am not familiar with the GP movements at - but now that I have one in hand - it seems this date complication has no quick-set feature, correct?
    I'm under the impression that the quick-set feature was a "later" addition to the date complication, and so I won't be surprised if this has no quick-set (seems the stem only has two positions - winding and time-set).

Lovely watch. When I get some time, I will post pics of mine.

-Paul

8. Mauzer Apr 9, 2020

Hi Paul, thank you! Appreciate it, but also like to read it back for my own watches, every once in a while. Haha

I just double checked with mine: correct, it doesn’t have a quick-set feature!

I’m curious about your gyromatic! Post some pictures whenever you’ve got some time for it!

9. PaulHelmuth Apr 9, 2020

Mauzer,

I most definitely will. Mine is going need a little work. It's in "running" condition - but there are several issues which I hope to be minor to correct - as I don't get the sense that there are a lot of parts available for these.

-Paul

Mauzer likes this.
  10. Route514 Jun 5, 2020

This is a great write up and very timely. My grandmother just gave me a GP Gyromatic that was my late grandfather's. He hadn't worn it in years and I honestly didn't know he had one. I'd love to pop open the case base to view the movement but it's a bit stuck and I'm not entirely sure if it's a screwdown or just pressure fit. Any suggestions?

20200605_072954.jpg 20200605_072936.jpg
    CHRONOZEN and Mauzer like this.
  11. PaulHelmuth Jun 5, 2020

That's beautiful.

The back looks to me to have a screw-down ring (that silver thing - that appears to be faceted like a nut). I haven't opened one of those, but you would definitely want to use a proper fitting wrench (specialty tool) so as not to cause any damage.

Others here will be more familiar and can give more detail.

Lovely watch. I am wondering how old. 1940's?

Route514 likes this.
  12. Mauzer Jun 5, 2020

I agree, looks like a screw-down caseback. I was able to open mine with a cheap eBay set: just control the force and set it at the right size.

Route514 likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 5, 2020

yes Take it to a watch maker

I have a picture of what is inside (probably)
    E3E775DD-8FA2-4CD0-91E5-3842A84E0F70.jpeg

Here is my Two
    22245290-0EE1-46E4-8329-F0B8A3B6CD31.jpeg

the 39 Jewels
    F1B45384-239D-4401-87A0-CE9E1A10D2E9.jpeg 03EC9268-1C8A-4CD8-924B-41BF35FCFB2A.jpeg

Route514, X350 XJR and PaulHelmuth like this.
  14. Route514 Jun 6, 2020

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I might just need to fiddle with my case back opener to get the fit just right. I wont push it too hard before I take it to a watchmaker.

I was told it was his graduation gift from High School which would put it in the early to mid-60s if it was new. It's possible that it was passed down to him from his father so the 40s wouldn't be unrealistic.

Those are beautiful pictures you've shared and one of the reasons I'm excited to see what's in this one.

15. Rose in BG Jan 20, 2021

Dear Route514,
    I inherited my Father watch that is EXACTLY like yours only Daddy’s is the stainless steel version. It’s engraved on the back with his name and the date of April 4, 1952 if that helps you date yours.
    After all these years all I have to do is wind it and it’s still keeping perfect time!!!

16. CHRONOZEN Jan 26, 2021

Please can you can tel me if alls the GIROMATIC is IN HOUSE MOVEMENT ?

17. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 29, 2021

bardamu and Spruce like this.
  18. nelsinho Mar 30, 2021

I was looking for info tonight on this watch and found this wonderful thread. I bought this one in Chile, with this wonderful tropical dial.

C5932285-15F5-463E-B7CB-4FFDD0E47C07.jpeg
    Mauzer and Spruce like this.
  19. Mauzer Mar 31, 2021

Nice to hear! Though the information in this topic isn’t fully complete.

Your Gyromatic has a really interesting dial, case has his marks. Congratulations

20. nothingman Nov 29, 2021

Hey Everyone, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the story about the GP. So thank you @Mauzer. I bought one month ago mines and started to service the watch. Also to service of this kind of calibers is very enjoyable! Sinds then it’s on the wrist today with a green leather strap. really like love the looks of the watch even the indexen and the small sec dots . And the history story is awesome in my opinion.

some photos are also there about the service. Enjoy.

Greatings
    Rudolf

656F9E4F-5DBF-4D65-B3AB-52B437450C57.jpeg 97CF092A-9821-4085-9E25-5DA7BA5761F5.jpeg 819A798F-4450-4023-A8D6-5046BBCAE60B.jpeg 723D6ED1-FC6D-4E42-9A0D-D791E79796CC.jpeg FAC6E90E-D54B-4E44-88E4-C60B91B37A34.jpeg E7D97F59-042C-4D14-A09C-30F2C249458D.jpeg B6C89787-BBD7-450D-83FA-D2EAC4A4CE55.jpeg 3B8E85F4-9F1B-4AC0-B2DB-95B52305309A.jpeg
    Spruce and Mauzer like this.