Forums Latest Members

Girard Perregaux 39 Redial... Keep or Return?

1. Spartcom5 May 3, 2017

Bought this very cool GP watch for $130 however, the thing has been pretty badly redialed. The 39 jewels font is some what crooked and the dial has been painted white. I love this look of the watch but I feel like for $130 I can get something much better. The only thing that bugs me is that it's so cool looking and I don't own a GP watch. Thoughts?? The $130 could go to servicing my Hamilton 983 instead.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 3, 2017

I agree that the dial has been played with. Can't tell if it's a full redial or a botched cleaning of the dial. Fonts look correct, but weak.

Here's a very similar watch in black to compare:

[​IMG]

The gold plated movements on these old GP's are beautiful and very well finished.

[​IMG]

Too bad you just can't drop a postcard to Dept. 89 for more information;

[​IMG]

The font on the watch in the ad has never been seen by me. Just an artists rendition, IMO.

I think you did more than OK for $130.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi likes this.
  3. Spartcom5 May 3, 2017

Odd.... That one you posted really does make mine look alright. However, I'll wait for some more people to chime in! The 39jewels font is still crooked.... Slightly

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 3, 2017

For the price OP did fine.

Could always get the dial done again and still be ahead.

5. Spartcom5 May 5, 2017

Here is a way better picture of the dial, definitely not the WORST redial I have seen. It's the same exact watch as in the ad, is that like the first one they made?... That's pretty cool
    [​IMG]

gatorcpa likes this.
  6. U5512 May 6, 2017

For $130 I would keep the GP.