Forums Latest Members
  1. VintageOmegaLove May 31, 2019

How rare is an Omega Seamaster De Ville with an original gilt dial? Here's my example, a couple tiny blemishes at the top of the dial near the edge unfortunately. Very near mint. All original condition, though I swapped out the original strap for an old watch strap I found in my drawer in order to preserve the original band as much as possible.

I'm really interested to know, as re-finished black dials are all too common to come across!

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

All the best,
    Chris

Edward53 likes this.
  2. VintageOmegaLove May 31, 2019

Oh! And if anybody has a spare gold-plated buckle as in the photos, I am interested in purchasing. The plating on the original buckle pictured has started to come off.

All the best,
    Chris

3. Edward53 May 31, 2019

The answer to that question is: they are pretty scarce! They probably seem even rarer than they actually are because of the very small proportion of originals to the flood of redials.

That dial looks very nice. It would be nice to see a face-on photo of it in natural light.

VintageOmegaLove likes this.
  4. VintageOmegaLove Jun 1, 2019

That's good to know I guess! At least I know I won't be letting go of this one for a while to come.

I completely agree with you there. That bias emphasises its scarcity.

Let me try and get a photo of it today. The sun's finally shining right now!

5. VintageOmegaLove Jun 1, 2019

I hope that at least one of these photos is acceptable! You can see the bit of scratching at the top of the dial, between the 11 and 12 markers. Excuse the dust, scratches, and unpolished case.

Thought I would also get some photos of the original strap too. Only one previous owner! :D

IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

All the best,
    Chris

coffeetime likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 3, 2019

Something to consider for your original leather strap is Saphir Renovateur to condition the leather, and Saphir Canadian to seal it all in (it also keeps the oils & pigments from rubbing off on clothing. A great spa service for your watch straps, plus, you get more great reasons to switch your strapsmore often. I don’t hear much about leather care, but I believe this is the best route, and would love to hear other thoughts

marco likes this.