Forums Latest Members

Gifted with an "Unusual" Heirloom Seamaster - Fake or Redial? (Pics)

1. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

Good day everyone, joined the OmegaForums today upon the recommendation of a WIS friend, because looking for some leads into a vintage watch I received. Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Recently, got visited by an old uncle of mine who gave me a very very old circa 50's to 60's Seamaster that he said belonged to my great-grandfather.

Upon receiving the watch I noticed something different about the dial immediately, as I noticed that the Omega symbol and name, was located at 6'oclock, and not on the top half of the dial as I have seen in typical Omegas.
    Instead, where I'd expect the "Omega" to be says "automatic seamaster" in its place. I'm not that familiar with vintage omegas, but I've been looking at vintage seamaster images the whole day and I have never ever seen anything with that dial layout. So basically my question is, what is it? Is it a fake? Or a redial? or maybe a production mistake? (pictures below, apologies for crappy quality, shot on a mobile and the acrylic on the watch is pretty scratched up)
    omegafront.jpg
    omegaback.jpg
    Been searching for any info regarding this and have so far come up with zero, worst case am prepared to take the watch to a watch repair centre, have the case removed, and get the movement number / case number so I can apply for an archive from Omega (even if its pretty pricey at 120 CHF).

Would appreciate any and all information or input. Even if it does turn out fake I'll still keep it purely for sentimental value. :) Thanks guys!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 11, 2015

::popcorn::

3. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 11, 2015

wariaktiv likes this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 11, 2015

An uncle and a great grandfather, and out of this bloodline comes a troll? Or am I just being cynical...

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 11, 2015

See what you mean, they are remarkably similar maybe I was too quick with my troll comment

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 11, 2015

The EBay one was from downunder :p

wariaktiv and Giff2577 like this.
  7. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 11, 2015

I was surprised how low the dial went for. I considered bidding on it but $30 shipping for just a dial is steep and the less international parcels my wife has to sign for the better!

8. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 11, 2015

That would be a great name for this configuration. Down under Omega.

wariaktiv likes this.
  9. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

My apologies, I have no intention to troll, just really curious as to why this dial is the way that it is. :) if you need to do a reference check I'm also listed as "wariaktiv" on TZ and the Philippine Watch Forum. :)

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 11, 2015

All good. We have just recently had a spate of "my uncle gave me" threads from one person under 5 or 6 different names, so we got a bit suspicious at first.

I had a quick look through AJTT and couldn't find this dial configuration there.

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 11, 2015

Fair enough, we have had a couple here recently and as a general rule threads containing uncle usually don't end well. Though this one might be different

12. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

If it helps, the watch really did come from my uncle, and he gave the watch to me because he doesn't have any children. :S And this is my first time posting here. :)

I asked him for a background on the watch and he says as far as he knows, it was given to my great-grandad in the late 50's early 60's as a gift. Again, my apologies if my post rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Do you guys think it will be worth it if I get an archive from Omega? Quite new to this really.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 11, 2015

If you can get photos of the inside of the watch (inside caseback) we should be able to get more info.

14. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

Will do. As I have no idea how to remove the caseback, I'll bring it to a watch centre either tomorrow or Wednesday here and have them remove it to take a picture of the movement. :)

15. ulackfocus May 11, 2015

Guys, I think this is the first "uncle" watch that's genuine. Just not 100% sure of the dial from that picture. It's got a replacement crown, but that case is surely the real deal.

wariaktiv likes this.
  16. ulackfocus May 11, 2015

It comes out the front. The bezel and crystal pop off, the crown stem is split, and then the movement pops out.

17. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

Really? Sounds like a major procedure. Will keep you guys posted.

18. wariaktiv May 11, 2015

Out of curiosity, I read thru the forums and searched for "uncle". While I was a bit lost on the reference a while ago, its all clear to me now. My post DID sound like a typical "fake uncle" thread. :D I guess the fact that it was also my first post on joining the forums did not make things any better. :)

No wonder you guys were suspicious. Now I understand. Rest assured that my uncle is real, and I am genuinely curious about this watch, and am very very thankful for the input (and fast responses) so far. :) Post new pictures once I get the movement exposed, also wrote an email to Omega customer service inquiring about the dial (just to see where it ends up)

Again, thank you guys for the info. :) Glad to be a member of this forum.

watchme and ChrisN like this.
  19. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 11, 2015

If you could post a better picture that would be great! Usually you see a similar layout with logo dials such as these but I believe it's possible that it could be original.

[​IMG]

wariaktiv likes this.
  20. ulackfocus May 11, 2015

We're glad to have you. Any new member who sets an avatar, let alone a très chic one from Calvin & Hobbes, is okay in my book.

wariaktiv likes this.