Forums Latest Members
  1. Patassa Apr 5, 2020

IMG_20200405_103139.jpg IMG_20200405_101538.jpg IMG_20200405_101515.jpg _DSF6934.jpg IMG_20200405_095330.jpg IMG_20200404_221906.jpg 1. Pics attached.
    2. My father in law gave me this watch last night. He said his brother bought it for him when he was a teenager while the brother was stationed in the Azore Islands, he's checking on the exact date, mid to late 1960s. My father in law was a recreational diver and used this watch extensively for shallow water diving in mostly freshwater rivers in the central Florida area. He doesn't recall ever having it serviced. It was sitting in a drawer after many years of not being used until one year ago, when he wore it again and wore it into the same fresh water river that he used it in so many years ago scuba diving. A day or two later, it stopped working. (note condition of the gasket). As you can see from the pictures, water got into the case. As far as I know, all original parts, including bracelet.

3. I'd love to get it running again and replace the crystal. As of now, I have no interest in re-luming or doing anything to the bezel, nor polishing the case. I'm located in Louisiana, USA, but am willing to ship the watch anywhere that can do this service for me. I don't currently know any watchmakers or repairmen, as my only watch is a 1 year old Rolex Explorer that was purchased new from an AD in town. I was hoping you guys could recommend someone who could replace the rusted screws, clean and re lube the parts, clean up the face, and install a new crystal or something else that's needed to restore function that I'm unaware of.

I appreciate any advice or help. Thank you

Edited Apr 5, 2020
    eugeneandresson, DaveK, Dash1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Om3ga321 Apr 5, 2020

Where are the photos?

Patassa likes this.
  3. Patassa Apr 5, 2020

Got a few to upload now. Thanks

Edited Apr 5, 2020
  4. bgrisso Apr 5, 2020

I would get it serviced by a quality independent watch maker ASAP !! I guess with the water intrusion a year ago, the damage is done, but still, I would get on it right away. @Archer is highly recommended, but I have no idea how busy he might be at the moment in terms of getting into the queue.

wagudc and Patassa like this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 5, 2020

That ship has sailed......the surface rust on screws your minor problem. The movement looks rusted now. Better replace it with a donor movement. That might be your cheapest option. You are looking at min. $1000 to get it back working and water resistant somewhat..... crystal, all seals incl. Crown and clean up the inner case.....good luck. Kind regards. Achim

Cuttysark and connieseamaster like this.
  6. OmeGez Apr 6, 2020

Such a shame that it has lasted well for so long through time, to only be made redundant just 12 months ago...

GuiltunderGlass likes this.
  7. Seaborg Apr 6, 2020

This is a true gem, absolute beauty with it's 1039 !

Lucky you. After a good service (or movement swap), this one will be perfect ::love::

Edited Apr 6, 2020
    Patassa likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Apr 6, 2020

Having seen @Archer bring back some very rusted movements from the brink, I wouldn’t write this one off just yet. :thumbsup:

wagudc, speedb, Patassa and 3 others like this.
  9. Cuttysark Apr 6, 2020

A Seamaster 300 used properly: DIVING.
    Unfortunately the gaskets in the years lost their function of water resistant. The result as you can see is the rust in the movement and a damage of the dial, especially near the tritium indexes.
    I live in Italy and I brought to my watchmaker worst movements with lot of rust. Summary: a lot of patience in finding broken pieces and a good job of the watchmaker.
    This is a nice watch and will be a pleasure to bring it to life. :)

10. Patassa Apr 6, 2020

Thanks for the help.

Edited Apr 6, 2020
  11. Dan S Apr 6, 2020

There are dozens of threads asking for recommended watchmakers in various locations, so just search for those using the forum search feature or Google. That will give you much more comprehensive information than just whoever happens to respond to this thread. Or better yet, search the forum for other threads where people have had similar watches restored, and ask them about their watchmaker by PM. Most members don't really want to put names out there on a searchable forum.

Patassa likes this.
  12. brownwld Apr 6, 2020

It is a pity he wore it into the water... But still you can save the watch. Good luck with the project!

Patassa likes this.
  13. speedamatuer Apr 6, 2020

Wouldn't be much of a dive watch if he didn't!

14. jankoxxx Apr 6, 2020

the watch is far from dead and very valuable. definitely worth any amount of money to get it back running ;) I hope you will post some pictures once the job is done!

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 6, 2020

Nice gift! Look forward to post service pics.

Patassa likes this.
  16. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 6, 2020

Oddly, I seem to remember seeing more than one other of these bezels cracked around '10'. Brilliant gift, congratulations on getting a great project watch, I am sure it will look fabulous when conserved/restored.

Patassa likes this.