Forums Latest Members
  1. Reed13 Mar 27, 2019

My grandparents gave me this beauty, unfortunately without any papers or the box. I was wondering if you guys could identify it or give me any other helpful info.

Case is solid 14k gold and is engraved 12/25/59 on the back

[​IMG]

2. Vitezi Mar 27, 2019

Hello, and welcome to the forum! All of the information you need to identify your heirloom is contained on the inside caseback of the watch. You'll need to find a watchmaker in your area who can remove the caseback and provide you with the reference numbers. Those reference numbers will identify the exact model of your watch. The serial number on the movement will help identify the production year.

If you intend to wear your watch (and why not? It's lovely!) please have a watchmaker service it for you. All of the moving mechanical bits inside your watch need to be checked for 60 years of wear and tear, and then lubricated and adjusted before it can reliably provide you with the correct time. Once this is done, you'll have a nice vintage watch to wear.

Reed13, ALBLOHE, efauser and 2 others like this.
  3. Reed13 Mar 27, 2019

Awesome, thank you! I'll make it a priority to do all of these things in the next few days.

Also, I think I'm going to wear it every day!

4. BenBagbag Mar 27, 2019

@Vitezi shared really great advice. One more thing: Be careful which watchmaker you bring it to - make sure they have experience with vintage watches. Especially when opening the watch, because gold is softer it can be easily damaged when opening it.

It's really nice. Wear it in good health.

Reed13 and efauser like this.
  5. Reed13 Mar 27, 2019

Yea I'm kinda skeptical of bringing it in to a local place. I'm 30 minutes out of Boston, are there any respected stores I can trust there? (I'm sure there's a few) Or maybe is there a list of stores somewhere in the forum that I can look at?