Forums Latest Members

Ghent, Mechelen, Rome ... what do your recommend for a tourist?

1. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 13, 2019

I have a work trip next year (lots of meetings in Germany, Champagne and Italy (Veneto, Piedmont, Brindisi) hunting for wines to import)
    I have a little downtime in Mechelen and Ghent in Belgium and a few days leave at the end in Rome

Including but not exclusive to the pursuit of watches please feel very welcome to make suggestions as To stuff I can go do, see, experience...

Cheers!

Matt

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 13, 2019

When in Rome do not miss an opportunity to visit the Vatican Museum and The Sistine Chapel.
    Also a visit to the Trevi Fountain on a clear night is breathtaking. Additionally there's a wine store down the street that has a complete vertical of Sasicia in various formats from the first year it was bottled.

Edited Sep 13, 2019
    Matty01 likes this.
  3. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

The tourist destinations are definitely on my radar ... does the wine store have the vertical available for tasting (IE under coravin or similar) I;be has Sassicaia (Tignanello, Ornellaia, etc etc) a lot but have never done a vertical ... would be amazing

Will be in Barolo earlier for work before I get to Rome (Prowein, Champagne, Veneto, Tuscany, Barolo, Asti, Alba, Barbaresco, Brindisi for the work components) and apparently there is an Enoteca in Barolo where you can roll up and have 30ml pours of a vast array of different Barolo flights under coravin ... which I will definitely be visiting....

4. TLIGuy Sep 26, 2019

I’m not a huge connoisseur of art but if you are in Ghent visit St. Bravo’s Cathedral to see the Ghent Altarpiece. Truly one of the most important pieces of art in the world. Absolutely stunning.

I’m so thankful George Clooney, Matt Damon, and Bill Murray saved it from the Germans.

mr_yossarian and Matty01 like this.
  5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 26, 2019

Dummy me never asked if tasting were available. I was simply overwhelmed seeing that much Sassicaia under one roof other than the winery. However I bought a Mag. of the '98, fabulous, and a couple of Cuban Montecristo #2s :)

Matty01 likes this.
  6. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

Buying a magnum of 98 and a couple of number #2’s doesn’t sound like the work of a dummy ... btw have you tried Lupicaia? I found then at vinitaly last year ... wow!

MikiJ likes this.
  7. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

Thanks, will definitely check it out

8. borre Sep 26, 2019

I know both places very well ;) Mechelen and Ghent are top choices if you want to see some historic town centers, buildings, cathedrals, ... If time permits I also recommend stopping by in Antwerp. When in Belgium, definitely enjoy the fine beers, chocolates and most important... our Belgian Fries! I can send you more detailed suggestions if you want, or go for a couple of beers together.

9. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

Magical... unfortunately my schedule doesn’t give me time for Antwerp ... but a catch up for beers in Ghent sounds like genius ... and I would love to hear more detailed suggestions - thankyou ... have never had Belgian fries, look forward to it ... and I absolutely love Belgian beer ...

10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 26, 2019

Never tried Lupicaia. If I'm drinking "special" wines, Im partial to Antinori. Solaia is their top of the line, but either Tignanello or Guado al Tasso is plenty good. I buy a lot of wines online, either Last Bottle or Wine Access are my go to favorites.

I've enjoyed a few Petrolo Torrione '12s and I'm waiting for my pre-order case of their '16 vintage. It's due October 16. I found this to be an affordable everyday wine for $25. a bottle.

11. borre Sep 26, 2019

Mechelen
    - Visit the Sint-Rombouts tower (cathedral tower). You can go up, nice city view, wonderful cathedral
    - Go to 'Grote Markt' witch is the main square of the city. Authentic buildings, perfect picture spot!
    - On the Grote Markt, there is also city hall, definitely worth some pictures as well
    - Grote Markt has lots of restaurants
    - Dossin Kazerne, old army base in the city used by the Nazi's to deport jews to the concentration camps in WWII. This is now a holocaust museum
    - IJzerenleen, street/square with old buildings, bars and shops
    - Brouwerij Het Anker, this is the (main) brewery of the town. You can eat in their restaurant as well (reservation required)
    - Haverwerf, oldest buildings in town
    - Brusselsepoort, you cannot go in, but this is a remainder of the city walls. It was the main entrance during the middle ages
    - Vismarkt, bars and you can walk over the river to the 'Lamot site'.
    - Lamot site, old brewery now a convention centre, bars, restaurant
    - Horlogerie meseum, this is a watch(makers) museum.

Ghent
    - Sint-Baafskatedraal, main cathedral in Ghent
    - Lam Gods (at Sint-Baafs), the famous painting/altarpiece by Jan Van Eyck. One panel ('Rechtvaardige rechters') is stolen, if you find it, let us know...
    - Korenlei/Graslei beautiful place to make some pictures and walk around, good place to eat with a nice scenery
    - The Cobbler, super nice cocktail bar, the building is amazing! Go have a drink there...
    - Belfort, old tower
    - Boat trip on the canals, little bit too touristic for me, but still...
    - Town hall
    - Vrijdagsmarkt + Vlasmarkt area, good spot to go for some nightlife
    - Gravensteen
    - Lot's of museums in Ghent if that interests you (just google them)
    - Volta, good restaurant (not cheap)
    - Pakhuis, restaurant in an old warehouse
    - Shopping: the area around the Veldstraat
    - Buy some 'pralines' (=chocolates).
    - Waterhuis aan de Bierkant, beer café, famous in Ghent (not fancy, but lot's of beers)
    - 't Druppelkot, famous 'jenever' bar in Ghent, you get drunk fast here

jsducote likes this.
  12. jsducote Sep 26, 2019

I love Belgium (coming back next year!) but haven't been to those towns.

In Rome, my #1 suggestion is writing to the Vatican ahead of your visit to obtain tickets to the crypt under St. Peter's. In addition to seeing the underground history, there's a virtually non-existent security line (to the left if facing StP) that is only for the crypt and Vatican employees. Once you finish the tour of the crypt, you're inside the Basilica and you didn't wait in the ENORMOUS security line with everyone else. Last time I checked, the only way you could get crypt tickets was to send them an email in advance of the day. Also, it IS totally worth it to pay to go up to the top of the Basilica (entrance is outside the Basilica, but still inside security, to the right if facing StP).

Elsewhere, if time is somewhat limited, skip the Circus Maximus (deserted) and Spanish Steps (crowded). No entry fee to see them, but not even worth that, imho. I don't think Castel Sant Angelo is worth the entrance fee and you can get a decent picture of St. Peter's and the Piazza for free. Entrance to the Vatican Museum (only way to see the Sistine Chapel) is just outside the north wall of the Vatican. There are some "tour guides" around the cafes on Via Tunisi/Via Santamaura at Viale Vaticano that can get you past the standard line if you don't get there early enough. It looks like a scam, and it probably is somehow, but 30eu (or whatever it costs, frankly) to skip standing in a 3 hour line for non-tour groups is worth it in my book.

Colosseum, Forum, Capitoline, Altare della Patria - all yes. There's a little Carrefour Express/Pam Local on the other side of the park just west of the Altare. Pick up lunch fixins for a MUCH cheaper lunch than you'll pay anywhere near here, albeit without the service.

Finally, don't settle for substandard gelato. Don Nino's, just east of the Pantheon on Via dei Pastini, is much better than the surrounding shops. OK, one more thing - Venchi Chocolato at the east end of this same little street which leads to the Trevi Fountain.

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 26, 2019

And definitely wander into the Pantheon -- it only takes a few minutes and it is an incredible structure.