Forums Latest Members

Getting out of the beaten path again, this time with the Certina DS3

1. georgeszaslavsky Jun 13, 2020

Good Afternoon

Another little watchmaking purchase via Chrono24 from an Austrian dealer, too often the DS2s I saw were very patinated or even in very average condition, so I went for an imposing ds3 (not the diving model which will also be in my collection soon). The DS3 presented here is in excellent condition and was different from the Zenith 2572 and the Rolex 3035 because of its high-frequency caliber 919-1, one of the best high-frequency calibers at the time. Omega having tumbled since the introduction of the caliber 1000 was never able to compete against these. A massive watch, very atypical, affordable with an in-house movement (and not with another again run of the mill ETA) and rare.

Yours sincerely

Georges

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spruce, 0uss, connieseamaster and 3 others like this.
  2. amcclell Jun 13, 2020

Beautiful watch from a very under appreciated brand. I really like these bug chunky 70's watches and the bracelet really rocks. One of the ones that got away for me was a solid gold 1960's Certina "Art" dress watch in brand new condition. The seller was asking 330 euro and I foolishly tried to negotiate a lower price while someone else snapped it up.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  3. georgeszaslavsky Jun 13, 2020

Certina is outstanding value for money which is why I am buying this brand before the prices skyrocket. The prices are still affordable compared to Omega, IWC, Rolex and Zenith but the quality is here.

pweingarten likes this.
  4. amcclell Jun 13, 2020

I picked up one dirt cheap from the 1950's at an estate auction before Iknew about the brand. It had nice patina on the dial and my son liked it, so I got it serviced and gave it to him. I didn't know much about them but my watchmaker told me they were in-house movements every bit as good as Zenith or Longines.

5. amcclell Jun 13, 2020

Sneer had a DS-2 Chronolympic a month ago that was in perfect condition. I almost pulled the trigger on it but I was too slow.

6. b-lilja Jun 13, 2020

Terrific Certina.