Forums Latest Members
  1. guelerct Apr 23, 2015

Does anyone know if the new Omega Nato straps are good in water? I bought the black nylon one and it has a leather underside...
    Also have the Grey Side with the leather strap. Is that ok for a shower? Not planning on swimming with it but don't want it to warp in the bathroom,

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

Is it marked as leather under the NATO or does it just feel like leather? Given they're typically used for diving you'd expect they'd make it water resistant.

I wouldn't use the greyside strap in the shower.

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 23, 2015

I've discovered that I odd man out here, after reading on the Forum for a while but, since I don't dive I never wet any watch for any reason. Even the dive watch stays completely out of the water. Took it off and put it in a pocket once last week when it was lightly raining and I needed to walk the half block from the bank where I am employed to the covered staff parking.

Others here apparently don't mind a bit dousing their watches. I've just always had a concern that watches aren't always as waterproof as one could wish.

4. harry12 Apr 23, 2015

Well, this watches are waterproof but still watches shouldn't be used in water.:)

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Yea it really depends what it is, if its modern or reasonably modern and has fresh seals (as in a couple of years old not 5-10 years old) and passed its WPT last time then yea I'll get it wet happily. My Daytona fits in that category as its 100M WR. If its a Speedmaster Pro or a vintage watch which really is more "can get wet if needed" than "fine to go diving with" it stays dry.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2015

Serviced and pressure tested regularly are no problem for me. Have a TAG s/le that has been in water all its 20ish years. Salt water pool most days, fishing , raining (rain heaps of rain), fish tank, sink, shower, its seen it all and never had a drama. pressure tested ever two years

IMG_0579.JPG

watchknut likes this.
  7. SeanO Apr 24, 2015

unless you've wrestled crocs' with it on you've got nothin' to talk about :whistling:

STANDY likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2015

We all know thats a job for a Seiko
    Seiko.JPG

the Seiko @JimInOz just put a new dial in serviced and relumed the hands

( anyone wants a leather croc backstrap let me know)

watchknut, Darlinboy, Nitzbar and 2 others like this.
  9. guelerct Apr 24, 2015

Not too worried about the integrity of the case
    I just don't want to muck up the nice Omega straps

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 24, 2015

Without the integrity of the case, the strap will be the least of your worries :confused:

Foo2rama and STANDY like this.
  11. chickenman26 Apr 25, 2015

You wouldn't happen to be a psychologist, would you? Seriously, this is over-the-falls paranoia. Even a watch with only 30 meter resistance would laugh at those conditions. Your diver is what - 300 meter? 600 meter?

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 25, 2015

I was thinking a similar thing. I wear my WWI watches in the rain with no problems. Mind you, under my jacket, but still...

Tom

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 25, 2015

No psychologist and not over-the-falls paranoid. As part of my watch hobby I enjoy not getting the watches wet. There's nothing more to it than that.

14. chickenman26 Apr 26, 2015

Being always concerned about something didn't sound like anything I'd personally enjoy, but you're correct - it's none of my business. Sorry.

Stu

15. Civic4982 Apr 26, 2015

16. munichblue Feb 26, 2017

Coming back to the OT question, is there someone with a reasonable answer? Is the Omega NATO suitable for showers or swims? Please advise...

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2017

Both nylon and leather are OK in water

image.jpeg

Nitzbar and noelekal like this.
  18. ajg1960 Feb 26, 2017

Do you have an empty swimming pool at home ?

19. deryk527 Feb 26, 2017

The NATO straps will be fine in water.

But wearing any watch in the shower will eventually result with your watch getting nasty soap scum in all the wrong places.

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 26, 2017

Divers use computers and I can't "fathom" a reason to subject a quality watch to the perils and pressure of submerged saltwater.
    Bryan, would you take your loved ones and bang them against rocks, put water in their ears and expose them to God-knows-what to prove their quality or worth?
    These are signs of insecure people to me but I suspect it may be my problems showing up.

noelekal likes this.