Forums Latest Members
  1. twitches Feb 8, 2017

Hey everyone,
    I have been a member of this forum for about two months and have developed a passion for Omega Watches and watches in general. Could anyone link me good sources that would teach me about the basics of watches? Such as the different styles, the names of each part, etc. What advice would you give to a "noobie" (I have no experience in watches whatsoever) ?

Thanks for your time,

- twitches

2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 8, 2017

Welcome!!!

Sounds like you have came to the right place. I'll give you a quick rundown to get you on the right track.

- Read all forum rules provided in the Sticky of the "Forums" tab
    - Utilize the search function in the top right hand corner of the forum. Search of words you'd like to learn more about (EX : "Condition" "Omega Seamaster")
    - Read www.speedmaster101.com they have lots of information that can be applied to any watch.
    - When asking questions, show other users you at least took a stab at it. Everyone is learning, and no one has all the information in existence. Don't shy away from criticism or rejection, it comes with the territory of being new. Embrace it!
    - Be kind and considerate to anyone willing to take the time to give you information
    - Enjoy the hunt, but I recommend purchasing within the forum once you've achieved the proper credentials to participate in the buying/selling area of the forum.

I get exciting seeing a new user interested in this hobby, we're very passionate here and want to give any new member the best opportunity possible to become a life long collector.

Best,

Thomas

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 8, 2017

4. Lukeeesteve Feb 8, 2017

Sounds like someone's wallet has sprung a leak. Welcome to the sickness ::screwloose::. ...Welcome aboard.

Syrte and Jwit like this.
  5. roryoc11 Feb 8, 2017

Welcome @twitches!

As @MPWATCH said, use the search functions here on OF. Also try searching 'noob/newbie mistakes'- this might give you an idea of the mistakes others have made starting out and beyond.

6. Kmart Feb 8, 2017

Seconded, this has some really good info and graphics about particular watch components if you're interested in how they work.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

8. Rman Feb 8, 2017

Important to not just understand what the parts and styles are, but how to vet the different components (case quality, dial quality, movement quality, hands and crown references) and develop your "eye."
    Enjoy the process! It never ends.

9. Shibata Feb 8, 2017

Welcome!
    I am only two months in as well.
    You have found the right place to feed your new appetite for watches. Especially Omega's.
    Most of what I have leaned so far has been from here. If you read every thread that you find interesting you will learn a ton without even trying.
    When I started with all of this I only wanted two watches. One for every day and one luxury watch. Thanks to this forum I have learned I need many more than two.... I now own four watches and pretty much have my next four picked out :D

Bushido likes this.
  10. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 8, 2017

This isn't directed at @Shibata but rather what was said sparked the following line of thought:

I'm in no real sense of the word a "collector". I generally acquire extremely infrequently. I'm chiming in only to say, "Figure out what you really, really love, then wait until the best example of it comes along. Because it will, in time."

Stay focused on figuring out what you love and resist the temptations of impulse and distraction. Live vicariously through the incredible collections of others - such as on this forum!

If you're impatient, if you give in to impulse, you'll acquire a ton of mediocre stuff and have all your capital tied up in stuff that you'll find you don't actually care a lot about. When that grail comes along, and it will, it will be that much more painful to buy, or you'll have to let it go for lack of funds. Then comes the sadness.

I love a lot of what I see on this forum, but let me tell you, I throw nickels around like manhole covers. Mostly.

Jwit likes this.
  11. Shibata Feb 8, 2017

Very good point and something to think about and try to control as an excited newbie.
    Two of my 4 purchases were impulse buy's. One of them I absolutely love and it was my first Omega. The other was a $120 watch that I thought looked cool at a store. That one will probably rarely see wrist time.

12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 8, 2017

Another very important thing to remember is that you need to like the watch. It doesn't matter what others here or anywhere else say. You are the one wearing it. So buy what you love and wear it in good health.

Welcome to the madness

-Jake

ahartfie and Lukeeesteve like this.
  13. twitches Feb 9, 2017

Yes indeed XD ! Thanks for the warm welcome.

14. twitches Feb 9, 2017

Will do, thank you for your time!

15. twitches Feb 9, 2017

Thank you for the advice, once I learn the ropes I will surely be in the same situation as you :p

16. U5512 Feb 9, 2017

Welcome! Take your time to do plenty of research and ask lots of questions before spending your money away!!!