Forums Latest Members

German eBay buying 'experiment'....yes, my Ultra-Chron!

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 23, 2015

I finally got a response from the German seller of my Ultra-Chron two days after I told him the watch isn't running.

Interesting that he told me that he 'cannot take it back', as that would be 'twice around the world' :eek: ... Germany?..., now come on!..... 'and besides, it was running when I sent it to you' .... ::facepalm2::.

The watch is being looked at now by my watchmaker, and I'll probably just have him service it like I had already planned... then let the seller know exactly what the problem was... from his reaction to the news of the 'dead' watch, it's obvious he doesn't believe in 'guaranteed as described' as far as running condition. However, I'm not too concerned, since my watchmaker thought it might only need lubrication/cleaning, and maybe a new hairspring (on initial inspection)... if it costs beyond reason, then I think I'd have a legitimate claim for refund if I wanted to go that route... really don't wanna do that if I can help it.... and there's always Dennis!

I had figured a service already prior to buying it; so, hopefully, it'll be a keeper... I really like the watch! ::love::

Edited Feb 23, 2015
  2. TNTwatch Feb 23, 2015

Best of luck with your experiment. How about some pictures? :)

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 23, 2015

Gladly! I plan on more, and better pictures when she gets back from her 'treatment';)!

e8d36c0bbe086d31ad33cc1faa401345.jpg f5d32ac48f9e90e3e7534dc4b113189c.jpg ad821f36b3a85eb84dcfe3723ca0ad52.jpg

Sprob and TNTwatch like this.
  4. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2015

That's one of the nicest U-C case backs I've seen. Very little wear on the cross hatch pattern. :thumbsup:

dougiedude likes this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 23, 2015

That's really good to know.

I had wondered if the case itself had been polished, because it looks quite shiny and nice; perhaps it's just well preserved! :D

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 25, 2015

A word of warning: If you do open up a case with Ebay, don't tell the resolution center that you took apart the movement to examine it (if you did), as that constituted a void of protection for me once.

dougiedude likes this.
  7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 27, 2015

No movement 'treatments ' yet. I'm still waiting for the seller to respond... 3 days again [emoji45]No worries though, I have some other watches to keep me happy right now [emoji1]

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 6, 2015

Update: the seller finally agreed to pay $90 toward the $120 estimate for repair. He offered $60 (half), I said no, then we agreed on 90. Saved me the hassle of an eBay dispute, so I'm happy.

I can't recommend the buyer (sammleruhren-online) however, as upon closer inspection of his German feedback, I see he's had a few other transactions ending similarly.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

Seems like a fair resolution for all.

That's an unusual dial/case combination. Seen it maybe once or twice before.

Enjoy,
    gatorcpa