Forums Latest Members

George Carlin saw the future of watch collecting.

1. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2014

'Shell shock' became 'battle fatigue' became 'operational exhaustion' which turned into 'post-traumatic stress disorder' just like 'dirt' became 'character' became 'patina' which turned into 'tropical'.

2. woodwkr2 Apr 8, 2014

When I was little and still 'cute' I used to fish golf balls out of the water traps, polish them up and resell them. One of my proudest moments was when I had the lightbulb moment and stopped selling used golf balls. No, these weren't used. They were Experienced Golf Balls, just what you need to hit the next green in 3, Sir.

Wish I could say sales took off after that revelation, but they were about the same.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 8, 2014

lmao, bob maron (and , Matt Bain to a lesser extent) are both responsible for a lot of this watch Ebonics.

Tropical doesn't bother me so much but chocolate and driftwood and thirteenfcuckinghundred other works used to describe steel submariner dials from 1956 to 1983ish drive me insane.

There's an underground economy of dudes who do all sorts of weird stuff to rolex tool watches like boil them , bake them, microwave dials, etc., etc. ad nauseam to try and create fake aging coats and textures.

why guys (collectors) pay up for this crap is beyond my comprehension.

Regardless, Matt Bain is 'da man!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 8, 2014

Magnificent :thumbsup:

I'm sure every vet and/or "pre-elderly" among us just sat here and took that in, while nodding.......

And thinking...........yep!.........uhuh!......I hear ya!.................

I'll just get back to my "mind altering liquid intake episodic event".

5. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Apr 8, 2014

Remember his routine on "stuff?" Priceless!!

6. speedbird Apr 8, 2014

My stuff is stuff, your stuff is...

i saw Carlin live not long before he died. It was an excellent show

7. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2014

"Stuff" was great, but his "football versus baseball" was my favorite.

tpatta likes this.
  8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Apr 8, 2014

Don't forget the seven words you can NEVER say on television. At least not on broadcast television. ;)

9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 8, 2014

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of them are stupider than that."

tpatta likes this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 8, 2014

Saw him a few times in his prime... a true master of his craft and brilliant observer & commentator on the human condition.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 8, 2014

worn bezel --> fading color bezel ---> ghost accent bezel ........in Rolex vintage world, add at least 1K for each word upgrade description