Forums Latest Members
  1. holnave May 9, 2017

I was browsing a vintage watch store and I found a Seamaster that I really liked and am planning to buy. Movement is original and I can't find signs (not that I have a well-trained eye) of a franken watch or refurbished dial. Mind taking a look? Any advice is mucha ppreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing stated is that the strap wasn't the original.

Price is MYR2500 which translates to $575.90

Original link: http://watchlim.blogspot.my/2017/04/754-omega-vintage-seamaster-30-winding.html?m=1

2. cristos71 May 9, 2017

Whilst it isn't in bad condition, in fact it looks OK, it isn't in fantastic condition either. The case and case back are in decent and nice enough shape but the hands are slightly corroded and missing lume, the case gasket needs replacing and the watch being sold, "As is" will probably need a service, if not immediately then certainly shortly if this is to be a daily wearer. Before you know it you have put in to it another $250-$350.

If looking at watches in the starter category, at around this budget, I think it wise to show patience and wait for one in really outstanding condition, it won't cost that much more but the pleasure it gives will certainly last a lot longer.

gophishin likes this.
  3. holnave May 9, 2017

Thanks cristos. This seemed to be in a pretty good condition for a 50-year watch. Will continue my search then. Here's another one I forgot to post but uses the 268 calibre with a different serial number. The hands look unfamiliar to me, Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dial or dial cover looks a little dirty. I'm also surprised that the case back does not have the typical Seamaster logo.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 9, 2017

Do you see any other issue with this one? Take a hard look at the movement. Also, you have the reference number so you should be able to do a little research about what hands go on it and the logo.

cristos71 likes this.
  5. holnave May 9, 2017

Ah, the 286 calibre comes in a central second hand right? While the 296 has a sub second hand.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 9, 2017

That's one issue.