Forums Latest Members

Genuine, frankenwatch or fake - Omega Seamaster

1. Unrattled Aug 13, 2017

Hi guys,

I recently bought a vintage Omega Seamaster from eBay and am trying to find out if is genuine or a fake? I know I should have done this beforehand but it was a spontaneous buy at the time, I am an absolute novice and didn't know that this site existed at the time. I have read some info online and it seems to pass the basics but I would like to know if anyone with more experience can help shed some light.

Please see the images attached and let me know if you need any more information.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

Genuine Omega but has a repainted dial. The movement doesn't look in great condition.

It likely started out with a silver dial, got moisture damage, then was refinished in the more popular black.

No real collector value, but if you like it, enjoy it.

Edited Aug 13, 2017
    blubarb likes this.
  3. redpcar Aug 13, 2017

Movement in great condition? :cautious:

a (2).jpg

Davidt and kingsrider like this.
  4. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

Ha, typo. Should say "doesn't look in great condition".

5. Unrattled Aug 13, 2017

Thanks Davidt, really appreciate you taking the time to look. I am considering sending it back because the first day I had it, the minute and hour hands got stuck at 7:30pm whilst the second hand kept ticking. I also find that when turning the crown to adjust the date, it sometimes feels like it gets stuck and I feel like I'm going to break it just to get it past the date. I paid almost £500, do you think it was a little too much?

6. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

So it's clearly not serviced, and the dial isn't original. Personally I wouldn't want it at any price and I'd say £500 is double what anyone should pay given the redial and mechanical issues.

Plenty of nice condition Omega dress watches in this price range in the U.K.

Unrattled likes this.
  7. Unrattled Aug 13, 2017

Thanks Davidt, I think I'll return it, try and get my money back and do more research to see if I can get something in better condition.

Really appreciate the honesty and wish I had of found this site beforehand. Hats off to you guys!