Forums Latest Members
  1. trotters Apr 20, 2019

Hello,

I'm contemplating buying the watch below;

It's advertised as a Constellation 14902 calibre 561 and having checked the serial number all of this checks out (I think, and happy for someone to tell me otherwise)

I'm not great at spotting a re-dial and would appreciate if anyone could assist in pointing out if it is or if it is a genuine original. It does look like it has a patina to it in the photos to me. Any other info or things I've missed would be much appreciated. This will be my first vintage Omega purchase and I want to get it right.

Also, what would be a fair price for this watch if it is all original?

Man thanks,

James

Untitled.png Untitled 2.png Untitled 3.png Untitled 4.png Untitled 5.png
  2. JwRosenthal Apr 20, 2019

Hey James!
    Looks like you are on the right path in your hunt-being able to sort the chafe.
    This may be the newly sighted leading the blind and obviously you should wait until someone with more experience chimes in but from my rookie view it looks pretty good.
    Case has been polished a bit, as any watch that had been serviced within the last 50 years would have been, but chamfers still seem to be present and not rounded off entirely, and medallion is not completely polished off.
    Dial looks to have honest patina, lume plots are all there and correct size (not blobby like many redials) and seem to match the lume in the hands.
    Lettering all looks correct to me, and the W in Swiss is under the 36 second hash which seems correct.
    I couldn’t find pics of a non-piepan for this case reference but that doesn’t mean it’s not correct.

I would say if the price was right it would make a nice my-first-Connie....but as I said, newly sighted leading the blind.

trotters likes this.
  3. Omega world Apr 20, 2019

Hello,I think is all original,but frankly I hate sellers who used filters when taking pictures for selling a watch,to cover imperfections and other things(this case too)!

Mark020 likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Apr 20, 2019

I don’t think this Is filtered perse, it’s probably one of those light tents with lighting all above, rather then from the sides that gives a bit more contrast that we would want.

STANDY likes this.
  5. mac_omega Apr 21, 2019

Can you please explain the "filters" you suspect? Curious mind wants to learn.

6. Edward53 Apr 21, 2019

The watch looks completely original to me. Somewhat polished which I'd want reflected in the price if I were considering it, but it's a rare seller who will see things that way. From the photographs I'd say it's a professional watch seller, in which case you've got no chance of getting it at a sensible price.

7. Davidt Apr 21, 2019

What's the asking price?

Personally I'd want a better example (or at least better pictures to determine whether this is actually better than the pics are suggesting!). If you're going for it, price is key.

8. trotters Apr 21, 2019

I've seen similar examples on ebay for around £600/$780. Does this seem reasonable?

thanks

9. Davidt Apr 21, 2019

Is that the asking price or is it in an auction? Personally, unless better pictures show the dial is better than these photos suggest, and without a bracelet, I wouldn't pay £600. I'd rather pay more for a better one.

bama2141 and connieseamaster like this.
  10. Davidt Apr 21, 2019

This is one I bought recently, which was only a bit more than the prices you're quoting.

IMG_3891.JPG

Edited Apr 21, 2019
    Peemacgee, ICONO, Edward53 and 4 others like this.
  11. trotters Apr 22, 2019

That is beautiful.
    I'm not so good at sorting the photos out but here is the ebay link if it helps those with more knowledge than mine work out if this is any good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-CO...RE-STEEL-CAL-561-REF-14902-62-SC/153454392149Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'll see how the auction goes and not get carried away with the bidding. Don't suppose you want to sell me that one do you? ;)

12. Edward53 Apr 22, 2019

Bargain! That's a £1000 watch for sure.

Davidt likes this.
  13. Davidt Apr 22, 2019

To clarify, when I say "a bit more", I don't mean £610.

I think you'd struggle to get a nice Connie for that, but with patience and research good examples can be found in the £700-800 range, especially the dome dials which I prefer and thankfully sell for slightly less than the pie-pans.

Edited Apr 22, 2019
    Peemacgee and trotters like this.