Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

Hi guys,
    I saw this on the Bay, and thought it looked quite nice, and at a reasonable, price:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16089812...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1361Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    But then I started digging ::screwloose::
    The caseback says 166.041, which is clearly wrong, as that belongs to a 1968 Geneve, with a cal 565, and looks completely different. So then I thought, fine, just the wrong caseback, lets see if I can work out what model it actually is....
    Searched through the Omega Vintage database - no Geneves listed with a cal 267. Hmm, maybe a complete franken? ::confused2::
    But, trusty Dr Google tells me that Kyle used to have a Geneve with a cal 267: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=153860 but this thread doesn't have a picture of the caseback (I thought rule 1 was never buy without a picture of the caseback :whistling:)
    Any clues anybody?
    Daniel

PS: Usually I write from my ipod, where I can't get emoticons, now I'm writing from my computer, hence the emoticon overload!

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

The database isn't complete, but that Geneve on ebay is totally wrong. It also looks like a redial and polished down.

I used to own that Geneve 267, and I never saw pictures of the caseback. I'm confident it's all correct though, it came from one of the guys who specializes in these Geneves.

Edit: A couple of minutes on google and I found a couple of other 267s sold. Caseback should be 2903.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

Kyle while I think I understand what you just said, I'm not sure everyone does. You owned what Geneve? the eBay one or that model? Which watch is correct? Yours? please edit and clarify .

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

Sorry, I was trying to eat and type at the same time. :p Edited...

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

Oh and the hands on the eBay one are longer than Kyle's old watch :)

Why do you think it is a redial? The cross hairs go through the same point in Omega and Geneve as yours - still studying the fonts.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

The little accent over the second e in "Geneve" is hardly there, and I don't like how the crosshair doesn't intersect the Omega symbol in the center and how it's off by the 9 marker. I also can't see a swiss mark under the 6 marker.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

Having taken a closer look here is the ebay Geneve:
    ebay geneve.JPG
    Here is Kyle's old watch
    kyles old geneve.JPG
    The ebay one has a much bigger gap between the Omega and the Geneve, and accent over the second e (as Kyle mentioned) and the connection between the n and the second e in Geneve is different.

This has been a useful exercise for me, to really examine the watch dials very closely!

8. OllieOnTheRocks May 3, 2020

The bigger gap like the above picture is not a reason for the dial to not be correct. This was apparent on all 31.5mm dials of this type. The smaller gap was for the 29.5mm dials. For the 36mm and 34mm cases respectively.

The cross hair however could be a cause for concern.