Forums Latest Members
  1. IssyB Oct 29, 2018

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a classic 1960's Seamaster as a gift for my partner, and have come across this one which I adore and would like to buy (sellers photos below).

This is the first watch I've purchased however, and after reading much advice on this wonderful forum, I'm a little bit unsure as to why the Geneve appears above the Seamaster. I've read some discussions of the double name and understand that they were made in the late 60's, but none of the watches referred to in those threads had Geneve above Seamaster as far as I could see.

I understand that the broken crosshairs are probably ok, but am unsure as to the naming. I've asked for additional photos of the back of the watch and the movement but haven't received them as yet.

Any assistance or advice you may have would be very, very much appreciated, as I would like the watch that I buy for him to be authentic!

$_20.JPG $_21.JPG $_22.JPG $_23.JPG $_24.JPG $_25.JPG

Spruce likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 29, 2018

I have seen one or two other examples of the Genève above Seamaster but the majority for the period when they existed (1965/1967) had Seamaster/Genève.

The only thing I don't like about the watch is the heavily applied lume, although it has aged like tritium so it may have been done some time ago.

3. tzachi Oct 30, 2018

The institute called "Bureau de controle des Montres de Geneve" has rules for the use of the name Geneva on a watch dial.

To have this name on the dial, a watch must have either be assembled in the canton of Geneve or cased there ( movement insertion into the case, tested etc) . that makes at least 50% of the total cost of PRODUCTION incurred in Genava canton.

It is interesting that In the mid 60's, the "Geneva" was the economical brand/line by Omega and it was branded as such on many lines (wonder what labor was then.). when Omega closed its factory in Genava, they omitted the name from the dial.

Your watch is kind of "transitional" of the mid 60's before Omega closed their factory in Geneva .

BTW, the above has nothing to do with Geneva seal.

4. IssyB Oct 30, 2018

Thanks so much for that advice. I’m hoping then that this does appear to be an authentic piece and not an obvious redial (aside from the lume maybe) or fake. It looks nice to my untrained eye and I do especially like the red cross hairs. The first purchase is a big leap!