"Geneva waves" in "arabesque" What's that and that?

Posts
203
Likes
77
Everyone says the movement is decorated in Geneve waves. And on top of that or along with that or something, you get it in arabesque. Sounds...I don't know. Do you?
I know this is a decoration originally intended to catch dust particles so they should roll further.
What are the origins and meanings these terms?
Edited:
 
Posts
203
Likes
77
Everyone says the movement is decorated in Geneve waves. And on top of that or along with that or something, you get it in arabesque. Sounds...I don't know. Do you?
I know this is a decoration originally intended to catch dust particles so they should roll further.
What are the origins and meanings these terms?
Thanks. What's "in arabesque"?
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,152
Thanks. What's "in arabesque"?
Seems to be a similar profile to the regular Genève but arranged radially rather than in parallel.
 
Posts
1,323
Likes
1,337
I've never heard them called Geneva waves--I've always heard them referred to as Côtes de Genève.
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
I've never heard them called Geneva waves--I've always heard them referred to as Côtes de Genève.
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,152
I've never heard them called Geneva waves--I've always heard them referred to as Côtes de Genève.
There are lots more synonyms: Geneva stripes, Vagues de Genève, Glashütte stripes, damaskeening, Fausses Côtes,
Glashütter Streifen, Bandschliff. (Italy seems content with Côtes de Genève.)

One English translation of côtes is "ribs" which would be the long axis, the "waves" refers to the profile of the narrow axis.